Interested in opinion about Angie's list

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
cincyMack

Interested in opinion about Angie's list

Postby cincyMack » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:51 pm

I'm have been in the process of getting moving quotes for a upcoming interstate move from NC to OH. I used the referral service of AMSA (american moving & storage association) as well as Angie's List.

As a new member, I'm interested in hear the opinions of the community and experienced volunteers of this site on getting referrals from the two organizations that I listed. (please forgive me if this is not posted in the correct forum).

Honestly all of the quotes I have received have seems "shady". I've received quotes that are both weight and cubic feet. Some binding and some not binding.

In regards to Angie's List all have the certified and A rating. Nevertheless it all feels questionable - for example one company submit a quote of $5,000 for moving my one bedroom household that does not have bedroom furniture.

At any rate I'd like to hear what folks think of Angie's List.

BigLeeCalif

Re: Interested in opinion about Angie's list

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:03 am

I don't know if you have chosen a mover yet...

Though I have been a contributor for 16 years, since I have retired I am not here as much.

I don't know if you have selected a mover yet, but if you have not, DISCARD any estimate who wants to charge by the cubic foot. Your estimate may sound 2000 cubic feet, but by the time you see the bill, it can double.

All estimates should be by the weight and should be binding. If you want to know whether you would be better off packing, ask for an estimate with packing, and one without.

Use this little tidbit as a way to gauge the mover. Have you ever seen their trucks? Do they have their own hauling fleet? Ideally, you would like a company to pack, load, transport, and unload your shipment. If you use a major van line, and even some independents, you'll find out that they have an agency network to handle packing, loading/unloading help for the van operator.

Remember, those guys that show up in unmarked trucks are probably going to hand off the job to another unmarked truck to haul...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”