Review: All Chicagoland United and Ace United

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
movingtoCT

Review: All Chicagoland United and Ace United

Postby movingtoCT » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:24 pm

Well..FINALLY..it's done. First I want to thank everyone on this board who has offered tips and help during my two year journey.

To give a brief recap. August, 2003 most of my worldy posessions were sent into storage with All ChicagoLand United. From what I remember of that nerve wracked time three men showed up and loaded about 4000 pounds into storage containers. Took them about 4 hours in sweltering heat. Since then I have paid the monthly sotrage fees and have called All Chicagoland (hereafter referred to as AC) many..MANY times. Various questions. I dealt with Rose mostly and she was very sweet. Whenever she didn't know the answer to my question, she always got it and got back to me within a day or two. My questions weren't of the urgent kind, so a day or two to return the call wasn't keeping me on edge.

Now, to my review of their service when I finally decided where I was moving to/when, etc.

I called Rose in April and asked her for pricing and gave her a date of July. She got back to me with a price and I went to work with that knowledge looking for a place to live. As we got closer, Rose and I became VERY good friends. I called her almost every other day or so or she would call me as often with information, questions, etc. This was because my belongings were in Illinois but I was already living in Ct. So everything was emailed, scanned, signed and emailed back and forth a few times with regard to signing everything.

We finally came together with a location for delivery as well as a delivery spread of July 1-11. At that point everything was turned over to Jared at AC. I was told my things would be loaded on June 29. Since I would actually be moving into the new partment on June 28, I told AC that I could take delivery anytime after that date. Not that I was expecting my items before the 1st, but I wanted to give AC as much information as possible to work with.

Yesterday, my father called and said that AC had left a message with him (my phone wasn't being turned on until today and I am a rare person who does not have a cell phone. I was borrowing my father's.) that they would like to deliver my furniture on the 30th. I called Jared and he said yes, they would like to deliver on the 30th and would that be okay with me? Of course I tried to contain my excitement and calmly said yes. Jared said they would be there between 8:30 and 9:00 AM.

Promptly at 9 AM the truck rolled up. It had two men in it, Ray and Mike from Ace United in Cheshire, CT. Both were very polite. Greeted my husband and I nicely. I showed them the elevator and how to get to our apartment. I had bought doughnuts and made fresh coffee as well as having Coke and water available to them. One of them had a doughnut and they both had coffee. At this point I also tipped Mike (he was the driver) and told him there would be more at the end. Before he took the money, he shook my hand and said thank you. I found that very refreshing.

They got to work and by 11:30 we were pretty much done, minus the signing of papers and such. They worked hard and quickly and today was quite hot a humid.

They were careful with our items and as I have said, very polite.

The only thing I have to say..and this is a very large thing...they stated didn't have inventory sheets. Thankfully, I still had mine from two years ago. So I just marked my sheets as each item came in. I think they were surprised that I had them from 2 years ago. It turns out that we are missing 5 boxes and Ray told me that one of the small bookcases "didn't make it." I am not surprised by the bookcase. It was pressboard and I knew the risks involved. However, when it came time to sign the inventory sheets, I felt I was being rushed a little. I said that I was marking each of the missing box numbers and that if I found them, I would of course contact AC and let them know. But that I would not sign saying everything had been delivered, because everything hadn't.

I did tip Mike again when he left, as the physical delivery portion was done very well, politely and respectfully. Hopefully, I will find the 5 boxes as I am unpacking. As each box is unpacked and broken down I am marking it on my sheet as such, so when I am done, I'll know which ones are missing. Does anyone have a better way to double check after the fact? I realize I should have gone through each box again before they left to double check, but I was so excited to see my couch after two years I think my mind sortof went into overdirve and I forgot.

And now I sit, surrounded by boxes but overall pretty happy with how things went during this long journey. I'm sure I have forgotten to put things in this review, but I wanted to get the basics down while still fresh in my mind. Feel free to ask any questions on things I may have forgotten to mention.

Diane

Re: Review: All Chicagoland United and Ace United

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:42 am

movingtoCT wrote:Promptly at 9 AM the truck rolled up. It had two men in it, Ray and Mike from Ace United in Cheshire, CT. . . . At this point I also tipped Mike (he was the driver) and told him there would be more at the end. Before he took the money, he shook my hand and said thank you. I found that very refreshing.. . .

The only thing I have to say..and this is a very large thing...they stated [they] didn't have inventory sheets. Thankfully, I still had mine from two years ago. So I just marked my sheets as each item came in. I think they were surprised that I had them from 2 years ago.

It turns out that we are missing 5 boxes and Ray told me that one of the small bookcases "didn't make it." I am not surprised by the bookcase. It was pressboard and I knew the risks involved. However, when it came time to sign the inventory sheets, I felt I was being rushed a little. I said that I was marking each of the missing box numbers and that if I found them, I would of course contact AC and let them know. But that I would not sign saying everything had been delivered, because everything hadn't..

Just putting these phrases in bold font so people won't overlook them. It sounds as if All Chicagoland did a good job but maybe lost the inventories during the two years in storage.

This is the second good review of All Chicagoland that we have on MovingScam.com, the other being for a load that it hauled from New York City to Chicago. It's odd because I think (among the United agents in Chicago) Planes and Armstrong are much better known, yet All Chicagoland has more good reviews here.

movingtoCT

Postby movingtoCT » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:36 pm

Update:

We filed our claim with United for the missing boxes and on October 11 received a check for about HALF of the amount we claimed. We have not cashed the check. They state in the letter:

A review of the applicable page of the Household Goods Descriptive Inventories list the documented missing cartons as PBO (Packed by Owner). In lieu of substantiation of what was actually tendered to the carrier for transport, we will allow 50% of the amount claimed for the missing items.

Ermm..well I have paid for full replacement value insurance on these items while in storage for over two years. I expected to receive just that, Full Replacement Value.

They gave us full value on some items, half value on others, $12.00 per CD (who can get a CD at Full Replacement Value for $12.00?), and 2/3 value on a television they damaged.

What would my next step be?

Thanks.

Megan

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:01 am

I will be corrected if wrong, but I believe the Full Replacement Value insurance only covers what boxes were packed by the movers. PBO boxes are the responsibility of the owner (you).

movingtoCT

Postby movingtoCT » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:06 am

All of our boxes were PBO, and this was known to the movers 2 years ago when we arranged the move. If this is correct, why wasn't I told that at the time?

Thanks.

movingtoCT

Postby movingtoCT » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:48 pm

This is taken from the United website directly. I've also looked through my paperwork and nothing is mentioned about PBO boxes not falling under the coverage.

Full-Value Coverage

Under this protection plan, if any article is lost, destroyed or damaged while under United Van Lines's interstate authority, it will either 1) repair the article to the extent necessary to restore it to the same condition as when it was received by United, or pay you for the cost of such repairs; or 2) replace the article with an article of like kind and quality, or pay you for the cost of such a replacement. An additional charge applies for this option. United will determine the appropriate settlement method to be used.

Full-Value Coverage and deductible options are available in dollar increments to fit your needs at very attractive rates.

The deductible options are as follows:

Option A -- Full-value protection with no deductible
Option B -- Full-value protection with a $250 deductible
Option C -- Full-value protection with a $500 deductible

United's total liability for loss or damage will be the amount you declare as the value of your shipment. However, the minimum total declared value must be at least equal to the weight of your shipment multiplied by $5.00.

And just to be clear, I'm not up in arms or screaming or yelling at this point. I'm just looking for information on how to proceed. I want to be calm as I know I'll get a better result if I don't call someone and start screaming at them. :D

Thanks.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:06 pm

An important question, where did the cartons go missing?

Your goods were in long term storage at AC. When the shipment was registered with UVL, the shipment originated at the warehouse. That is the point where UVL's liability started.

When the ACE driver loaded the shipment from the warehouse he should have done one of two things, take exception against the original inventories for the missing cartons and broken bookcase (if that is the way they received the shipment) or if the original inventories were not available re-inventory the shipment. In either case AC should have a receipt for what Ace loaded. The statement
they stated [they] didn't have inventory sheets
is most unusual. The items are either at AC or on the ACE truck and there must be a paper trail somewhere.

If they were never loaded at the warehouse then AC lost them and it should be covered by their insurance. If AC can prove they turned them over to ACE then it is a UVL claim.

UVL claims should handle this search this way and charge back the appropriate party.

I would persue this matter further with UVL claims.

movingtoCT

Postby movingtoCT » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:37 pm

So then you think that I should be able to get the Full Value Fred? Even though all of my boxes were PBO?

With my next step being to contact the claims department and ask for the papertrail?

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to be clear on what I need to do.

Thanks

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:42 pm

I'm sorry I was wrong! :oops:

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:44 pm

MM, I think you may have been right (unfortunately). I have a query in to Rick about this.

movingtoCT

Postby movingtoCT » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:23 pm

Thanks Diane.

And when you find out, do you know why I was paying for FRV all that time based on the full weight of my shipment? If the insurance only applied to those items that were not PBO, shouldn't I have only been paying based on the weight of those items?

Again, just trying to get information. I'm so confused!

Thanks.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:19 pm

I would wait till Rick jumps in on this since he is sort of the resident expert. My opinion is that the FVP would pertain to contents of PBO cartons that are damaged due to "improper" packing. This however is a case of the cartons not showing up ie. "lost". The other problem with this claim is that 2 different moves have occurred, one into local storage and the other long distance and handled by "two different" carriers, AC and United

movingtoCT

Postby movingtoCT » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:47 pm

Fred,

Both moves were handled through AC. I didn't contract with Ace. Everything was through AC, which is a United Agent.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:54 pm

However your goods were in local storage for 2 years. It is looked at as two seperate issues. You contracted with a local moving company in 2003 to pick up your goods and store them locally. In 2005 you contracted with an interstate mover to move your goods from the local storage in Chicago to a residence in Ct. Each contract occurred seperately and are seperate issues. That is why the paper trail is important and why I don't understand that the delivering driver did not have an inventory of some kind. Let's say you chose to have Atlas move you from Chicago. The driver would have given a receipt to AC for the goods that were picked up from them. No quality moving company (and I know AC has a good rep) would just turn over someone's goods without some sort of receipt. My own drivers take exeptions against shipment they load from my warehouse and I expect they should if something is missing or damaged.

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:28 pm

movingtoct,

Unfortunately, Fred is correct. Two different moves occurred.

Permanent storage is warehouse storage for longer than 90 days. In your case, when AC picked up your belongings from your home, the destination of your move was their warehouse. Permanent storage is not regulated by FMCSA. When your belongings were placed in permanent storage, AC probably billed you for:
• Transportation to the warehouse
• Monthly storage charges
• Charges for valuation protection during the move to the warehouse
• Any additional services provided such as packing materials, overtime, third party billings, etc.

AC’s warehouseman’s liability for value protection ended when your belonging left permanent storage. United’s liability began when the AC driver either took exception to Ace’s permanent storage inventory, or reinventoried the entire shipment as an interstate move before loading. The valuation option on the interstate portion of your relocation is determined by the amount that you signed for on the Order for Service when you requested that United/AC pick up your belongings from permanent storage from AC’s warehouse. Just because you may have paid for FVP for your belongings while in permanent storage doesn’t necessarily mean that you had the same coverage on the interstate portion of your move. What type of valuation protection did you select on the interstate bill of lading and how much were you charged for it?

Regarding the damaged items that were packed in the PBO cartons, if the exterior of the carton showed no viable damage or evidence that it was mishandled, the claim would probably be denied because you received the carton.

Here is a link to an explanation of a carrier’s responsibility when FVP is involved that is part of the FMCSA’s Protect Your Move website.

http://www.protectyourmove.gov/consumer ... ary.htm#fv

Full Value Under this option, the mover is liable for the replacement value of lost or damaged goods (as long as it doesn't exceed the total declared value of the shipment). If you elect to purchase full value protection (FVP), and your mover loses, damages or destroys your articles, your mover must repair, replace with like items, or settle in cash at the current market replacement value, regardless of the age of the lost or damaged item. The minimum declared value of a shipment under this option is $5,000 or $4.00 times the actual total weight (in pounds) of the shipment, whichever is greater.

Sorry!

Return to “Open Community”