Planes United Vanlines experience

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
SettlingInSeattle

Planes United Vanlines experience

Postby SettlingInSeattle » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:16 am

My experience with Planes United of West Chester.

To : Seattle, WA

Movers considered:
Allied,
United,
Wheaton
Mayflower

Almost all but Allied gave around the same estimate. Allied was the most expensive.

For a weight of around 12000 lbs, the estimate came to around $10k. This is including the insurance (for an estimated value of $60k), full service packing, crating a couple of large paintings and transportation.

Picked United since they had several good reviews and their facility in West Chester checked out good.

A day before the move, two men arrive at the house at 8 AM to pack all our stuff. They take the whole day to finish their work. They ran out of boxes and blamed it on the agent for giving them the wrong estimate. Luckily, I had extra boxes lying around and they ended up using mine.

Moving day, the truck arrives with two other loads already in it. A crew of 5 men arrive with the truck. The loading crew did an OK job. They neglected to take good care of an expensive rug even though I had asked them to. The driver/boss didn't do a good job of supervising his men and one of them ended up scratching the hardwood floor. The agent had promised that all furniture with exposed fabric would be shrink wrapped, and several chairs with fabric top were not (I discovered this upon reciept of the goods). Minor things, but they all add up in the end. Attention to detail was a bit lacking. Again, the driver blames the agent for wrong wstimation, and we are left with an overflow. Planes sends a shuttle truck to pick up the overflow.

Since mine was the last load, the van arrived at the destination in 4 days. Great. After hearing all the horror stories, I am glad that the goods are here in Seattle.

I had rented a self storage space, and the driver was brave enough to get the 18 wheeler into the storage (it took him 15-20 mins to do this). Finally, everything is in storage.

The second load arrived in 2 weeks, and here, United had done a good job of packing everything into two huge wooden boxes. This way, my goods were not moved from truck to truck.

In the end, I gave the packing/moving crew tips (according to a $2/hr/person rule), and they were genuinely happy about it.

I ended up with some damage to the goods. A TT table was dinged since it was not covered with a moving blanket (even after my request). The dining table is dinged on the edges. The computer desk is broken on top. I am yet to submit my claim. I am yet to see how they take care of the claims. Since I bought their insurance, I am hoping that they will cover all the damages.

I have seen complaints of packers/movers taking long breaks, etc. During this move, both the packing as well as loading crew didn't take a lunch break and worked through the day! I was getting tired and hungry watching them work, and they never took a break. When asked, they attributed ot to a heavy breakfast. Hmm.

Overall, it was an OK experience. When one ships HHG from a 4 BR house, some things are bound to be damaged (I assume). If United handles the claims in a professional manner, I would recommend United for the cost and promptness.

Shall follow up with another post once I have my claim settled. Tips on this process is appreciated.

Cheers,
SettlingInSeattle

Re: Planes United Vanlines experience

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:36 am

They ran out of boxes and blamed it on the agent for giving them the wrong estimate.

LOL ...... I'm a pro packer for a major - and I can count on ONE hand the times that a move has ended up with the amount of boxes that was on the estimate.

We (I'm part of a crew of four that has been packing together for a few years) ALWAYS ALWAYS bring more packing material than estimated. We can usually tell by who did the estimate whether the count will be off or not......certain estimators have certain reputations for that.

Remember ( like one doesn't have enough to remember when moving) that the packing crew can only go by what the estimator has written - the packer hasn't seen the job until the day they walk in to pack.

Best wishes with the claims process - I don't know anything about that part, I just pack ..... lol

The Packing Princess :D

ECM

Postby ECM » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:03 pm

"A day before the move, two men arrive at the house at 8 AM to pack all our stuff. They take the whole day to finish their work."

I no it's not, but when I read that, it sounded like a complaint. When I do pack jobs or even when I estimate them. I use the formula 5-7000 lbs per person per day to figure out how many people to put on the job.

Hats off to, The Packing Prince she knows what she is talking about.

" When one ships HHG from a 4 BR house, some things are bound to be damaged " It's nice to see someone who realizes this. However this damage you mentioned, "A TT table was dinged since it was not covered with a moving blanket (even after my request). The dining table is dinged on the edges." Sounds like it should not have happened. But the comp desk if it the kind that came in a flat carton and you had to put together sound like typical damage.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:11 pm

What is a TT table? Table tennis?

Also, when I visited a Wheaton agent's office they gave me a sheet saying that particleboard furniture would not be covered for damage. I don't know whether it was just that agent that said that, or the whole Wheaton van line. Some people call it pressboard.

ECM, "Trucker" hasn't been around these parts lately. A little bird told me that he might be busy buying a new tractor.

Postby guest » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:45 am

Unless the rules have changed, United will deny the claim if the shipment is moved from the storage facility before the claim is filed. Do not wait to file your cliam! The van line has the right to inspect the damages, and if you moe the furniture before they do, they can (and will) say that there was no way to ensure that they did the damage, or to what extent prior to you moving and potentially damaging it.

SettlingInSeattle

Postby SettlingInSeattle » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:16 pm

Some comments:

Yes, ECM, I was not complaning about them taking a day. That was just a statement mentioning the fact.

The Table Tennis table ding is in the center on the top and that makes it unusable (ball bounce).

The dining table dings on edge are because someone placed it on a rough surface (road?) while loading. Even with the pad, it got damaged due to its weight. They should have realized that. I dont know how they are going to take care of that since it is a very expensive table.

My stuff is still in storage and will be there for another month. I will be talking to the agent about the claims process. I dont know how they can inspect the damage in the storage space... The van driver DID sign off on all the damage in their "Most Important Form".

ECM

Postby ECM » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:36 pm

I dont no what a most important form is. But UVL is a stand up company, so if you have some documents stating NEW damage (check against inventory) signed by the driver. They will make it right,at least to the extent of the valuation you took. I still say the damage as described by you is just plain stupid and should not have happened.

SettlingInSeattle

Postby SettlingInSeattle » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:33 am

The saga still continues....

Just when I had thought that the only thing left for me to handle is the claims, the UVL rep contacts me with an additional charge. Wow. Don't they understand what a GuaranteedNotToExceed contract is? They want me to pay for the overflow delivery, because it was sent in a shuttle truck. The smaller truck was sent because the load was small.

The overflow occured because someone mis-calculated the load. A moving company, especially when they write a GNTE contract, will try to do everything in their power to reduce costs. They messed up and had to deliver in two pieces, and now they are asking me to pay for their mistakes. Interesting way to do business.

Thanks to the information on this forum, I had selected GNTE contract.

Things are still unfolding. Shall post what happens.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:56 am

Before jumping about GNTE. Is the total final bill still within the GNTE? It is possible that you are being charged for an "A" portion of the shipment.
Let's say that your shipment was estimated at 10,000 lbs. The fleet trailer loaded 8,000 and the O/F was 2,000. They could have rated the b/l's seperately. The "A" b\l should be based on the 20% of the total.
The two combined should represent the GNTE.

If it exceeds, you will get a refund from Fenton HO. It should have been "transparent" but a lot of it has to do with agencies wanting completed paperwork before revenue is distributed.

Who dismantled the TT table?

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:37 am

Hi Fred0844;

I have not even received the final bill. I made payment before things were even shipped. This was based on the GTNE contract, and I am now receiving emails for additional payment. I will talk to them tomorrow.

TT table was dismantled by the people who came to load the truck.

SettlingInSeattle

Postby SettlingInSeattle » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:02 am

OK. The saga is finally over. Here is the scoop.

In short:
Planes United Vanlines sucked in settling the claim. Went to parent United Vanlines, and United was great in settling the claims for all the damages.

In Detail:
As I had mentioned, I had two loads (overflow), and damage occured in both the loads.

The first load occured soon after we moved here so I remembered what my agent had told me "Call me if there are any damages" and I did. She instructed me to fill out a "Most Imp form" and have it signed by the driver. Fine, I did that. This portion of the claim was unquestioned.

The second load was delivered by a driver who seemed to be in a hurry to deliver and take off. I had a busy day, and hence overlooked a few things too. Instead of the so called "Most Imp form", this driver filled out a Damage Form with all the damage and told me that he would take it to the office, and I should not worry about a thing. He said that someone from the United office will contact me and straighten things out. Luckily, I had made a copy of the form he filled out. Unfortunately that was before he signed it.

I waited a couple weeks and nobody contacted me. So, I finally submitted my damage claim. Planes United rejected the damages from my overflow stating that there was no paperwork. The driver never submitted anything to the office, and the only proof I had was a form he filled out.

LESSON: Always contact the agent and find out what needs to be done BEFORE you sign anything, and BEFORE the delivery driver leaves.

After escalating the issue to management level, I was told that the claim would have to go to arbitration, and will be sent to United Vanlines headquarters.

Here is where things turned better. The claims adjustor at United Vanlines was very understanding, and after investigating what happened, honored my entire claim.

Epilogue:
From the horror stories I had read on this forum, I was prepared for the worst. Even though there was damage to goods, things did arrive in full (sort of). My buying the full coverage insurance paid off in the end. Now, I have to get some of the things repaired, and a few others replaced.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:37 am

Not good about Planes. I just want to note that this was Planes United in Cincinnati and not Planes United in Chicago, although I guess they're part of the same company.

anonymous1

Postby anonymous1 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:06 pm

guest wrote:Unless the rules have changed, United will deny the claim if the shipment is moved from the storage facility before the claim is filed. Do not wait to file your cliam! The van line has the right to inspect the damages, and if you moe the furniture before they do, they can (and will) say that there was no way to ensure that they did the damage, or to what extent prior to you moving and potentially damaging it.

That's true, and here's something else to consider:
I don't work for United but I work for a major. On shipments delivering to a mini storage we don't honor claims unless damage was noted at the time of delivery. I'm told that the reason for this is because once that door closes and we leave we have no idea what sort of rooting around the customer may do in there. They may knock a bunch of things over and decide to say it was transit-related. I only mention all of this because I have a feeling that if this is our policy then United probably has something similar.

Also, about the Particleboard Release Form, we received information that we are not to use these anymore because it's not legal to do so. If any companies out there are still using them I'm challenge the legality of it to their claims department.

Another thing most consumers don't know is that on electronics there has to be some sort of visible damage for a claim to be honored. I personally feel this makes sense because otherwise you could always take an old piece of electronic equipment which fizzled out years ago and claim it worked before it was put on the truck.

I don't work in the claims department, but I'm sad to say that some moving companies aren't the only ones out there scamming people. There are customers who are "professionals", as we call them. This means that they know the loopholes for the claims process and will consistently make a bunch of money off of filing claims. Since (when we deliver to a residence) we don't require damage to be noted at the time of delivery I feel we kind of set ourselves up for this. However, since I'm just a cog in the wheel I'm powerless to do anything about it.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:32 pm

Interesting information.

I've personally collected particleboard release forms from agents of Wheaton, Atlas, and North American Van Lines, as well as from a couple of independent companies, so I know they are widely used.

With regard to customers filing claims months after the move, "Ruges" (NAVL driver) posted this on another website:
At the end of every move I have the customer do a walk threw and check thier furnature. If there are no damages I have them sign on the right side of the check off sheet that there is no damages. And say there is somthing broken. Then I have the put the damage down on the right side. then put a line underneath stating that there is no other damages. I also let them know that they have 8 months to file a claim on the boxes. But they need to save the box and the sticker number.

I have found this to be a prenty decent method. And get almost no claims months out. -
http://householddrivers.com/PHP-Nuke/mo ... light=#363

He admitted that it would probably not stand up in court but said it had proved useful for him.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:45 am

Re: Particleboard furniture.
Anonymous 1 is correct Diane. The release forms that have been used are no longer valid. However, I believe that it has only made matters worse. I would say that the majority of RTA (Ready to assemble) furniture arrives at destination intact. (I think those student computer desk things were the worst design). There is inherent vice in the design of RTA furnitue, and in some cases, there is a written disclaimer as part of the assembly instructions, do not move intact.
Drivers will refuse to move such pieces unless the shipper takes them apart, or hires a 3rd party to do so. He won't do it since he would be responsible to reassemble it and sometimes it just won't go back to-gether. I can just see the confrontation on moving day.
It is interesting to note the the state on North Carolina P.U.C. has its own Intra-state tariff which has an exclusionary clause for RTA furniture.

Return to “Open Community”