Couple of Companies with Warning Signs in Chicago

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
smover

Couple of Companies with Warning Signs in Chicago

Postby smover » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:28 pm

Hi,

I know this forum has recommended using All Chicagoland United out of Elmhurst (formerly Bekins), but I called 2 days ago and they were all eager to help, but I never got a call from Daryl Roberts, who was supposed to schedule my estimate. When I called back the 2nd or 3rd time, Crystal in the office told me they were booked for the day I wanted to move and that's why he never called. Seems a little sketchy to me - or at least irresponsible.

Also, I tried First Class Moving and Storage, who charge for cubic feet and haven't been around even 5 years. So I'd stay away from them, those of you looking for movers in Chicagoland. (They sent me a postcard when our house went up for sale.)

Does anyone know anything about Skipworth out in Carol Stream? They deal with Atlas Van Lines, and Anderson Bros. Movers at School & Sheffield recommended me to them since I'm moving a small house and a small distance (250 miles).

Thanks.

Diane

Re: Couple of Companies with Warning Signs in Chicago

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:42 pm

smover wrote:Hi,

I know this forum has recommended using All Chicagoland United out of Elmhurst (formerly Bekins), but I called 2 days ago and they were all eager to help, but I never got a call from Daryl Roberts, who was supposed to schedule my estimate. When I called back the 2nd or 3rd time, Crystal in the office told me they were booked for the day I wanted to move and that's why he never called. Seems a little sketchy to me - or at least irresponsible.

Interesting that All Chicagoland used to be Bekins--thanks for that info.

I think what could have happened is that your local move was "bumped" by a load that All Chicagoland suddenly had to cover for the van line. Moving company owners have told me that they may get a call from the van line as late as the day before a scheduled pickup saying that the van line driver is full or running late and can't pick up a particular load. Since the customer has to be out of the residence on the scheduled day, the agent company (like All Chicagoland) has to pick up the load and store it in its warehouse until the van line driver swings by. This takes the agent's truck and workers out of commission for the day. Although your load wasn't actually scheduled, the sales rep should have called you to say that they weren't going to be able to do the move.

Sorry that I don't know anything about the company you're asking about.

Re: Couple of Companies with Warning Signs in Chicago

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:26 pm

I can honestly tell you Skipworth is fantastic, at least on the dispatch end. I work at Atlas and deal with them regularly. They can be a bit abrupt at times on the phone, but they really get things done. I have known them to bend over backwards to take care of their customers. I would also suggest calling Ace Worldwide in Elgin, as they are some of the greatest guys in the business!

Return to “Open Community”