Need help finding full-service movers for BOST to CHICAGO

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dee kay

Need help finding full-service movers for BOST to CHICAGO

Postby dee kay » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:13 pm

I signed up with a moving company, Danielle's van lines (BOSTON) to move a couch, a few tables, a few chairs, and about 15 large boxes (carrying clothes and books) to CHICAGO. I am selling almost everything else. Danielle's gave me a quote of $1400 which I thought was cheaper than renting a 10 foot van and paying for gas and movers. That was of course before I found this site and now I am petrified that I'm about to be scammed. Unfortunately I gave them a $140 deposit which I am willing to forego as long as I get peace of mind.

I need help choosing a reputable full-service company in the BOSTON area that can help me pack, store my household goods for about a month, and then deliver to CHICAGO. I will be moving into a fourth floor walkup in Chicago on October 1. My lease in Boston ends at the end of August, and I will be in Asia for about a month which is why I'll need to put my belongings into storage for the month of September.

Please please please, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Again, I feel awful for signing up with a moving company before I did my research but I had no idea that this level of scamming could really exist!

Thank you so much!
Dee

East Coast Mover

Re: Need help finding full-service movers for BOST to CHICAG

Postby East Coast Mover » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:25 pm

Paul Taylor United in wakefield.
Paul Young Arpin in Braintree
Rainbow Movers in Franklin
Caroll The Mover in quincy

Cant recommend just one. So these are a few of the good one's I no of in the bean town area. And no i dont work for any of these.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:33 pm

Hi - congratulations on escaping Danielle's Van Lines.

I'm going to come at this from a slightly different angle from ECM.

You can certainly use a full-service mover, but I think you are going to run into minimums that are going to make your move quite costly, especially because you need storage. I suggest that you consider using ABF's mobile container option described here - http://www.upack.com/moving-services/mo ... tainer.asp I think you could probably get all your things into one container if your sofa isn't too long. In most places you have to take your things to an ABF terminal and pick them up there, but ABF will reportedly store the containers for $90/month. You could hire a local company in Boston to pack and load the container. Then in Chicago you could do the same thing in reverse. Your things would be secure and would not be transferred, an activity that carries the risk of damage.

For a local mover in Boston, people have spoken highly of Nick's - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4586 And here is a thread describing a successful move within Boston - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2591 The person got quotes from a number of companies and chose Benny's, which has a dubious reputation but might be OK for moving your things just from your home to the ABF terminal. I would suggest asking local realtors for recommendations.

If you still want to use a full-service mover, this is a thread on which many Boston-area companies are discussed and four good ones are highlighted in the first post - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2950 Oddly, they are a different four from the ones that ECM mentioned, but I have a feeling that he would approve. I did notice that the poster said that Gentle Giant was going to transport things by rail (not good). To these I would add Sterling (North American) in Billerica because of its excellent reputation, ECM :wink:. I am not trying to dissuade you from using a full-service mover if you really want to, just mentioning that it could be costly for your size shipment.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:32 pm

Depending on when your scheudled pickup date with Danielle's was, you should be able to get your deposit back by doing this- Type and sign a letter simply stating that you will not be using the services of Danielle's Van Lines. You do not ahve to say why. Request an immediate refund. Mail this letter via Certified mail, Return Receipt Requested, to the address below. If the refund has not arrived in two weeks, start a dispute wihth your credit card.

Postby Guest » Wed May 31, 2006 11:23 pm

Paul Young/Arpin moved me from Boston to NYC in May 04, and did a great job. I had a full pack: they showed up with a crew of six guys for a 1-bed at 9AM, and were totally done and out of there by noon. Arrived right on time in NYC the next day, moved me in, no problems. Made a very stressful time (had 2 weeks to move to NYC and start a new job) that much less stressful. Also, they met the Boston diversity requirements: the crew had a Sean, a Patrick, and a Ryan. :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 31, 2006 11:26 pm

Funny. :lol: Thanks for this - I'll add your review to the Boston thread.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”