ALERT - avoid Maier's Relocation Service (PA)

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
Ptili1

ALERT - avoid Maier's Relocation Service (PA)

Postby Ptili1 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:28 pm

Whatever you do, stay away from this company. They are lying, stealing, malicious people that care about no one but themselves, they will destroy your household and cost you a fortune.

Here is my story. I have contacted every major federal, state, and consumer agency I can find, including the BBB. I have also noticed that the FMSCA fined this company on 5/17/2005 for issues exactly as mine.

Defendant Response to Claims:

On our about February 15, 2005 I was contacted by Michael Maier of Maier’s Relocation. At that time we discussed a move to include the contents of my 3rd floor apartment in Lawrenceville, NJ to the Bradenton/Sarasota Florida area sometime prior to 4/17/2005.

In mid to late March I contacted Mr. Maier and arranged a move that would need to occur on or before 4/7/2005 (the closing date of my home in North Port, FL. This move would include my household goods and the contents of a detached garage, as well as the covered trailer shipment of my 1993 Nissan 240 SX.

Prior to and since the discussion of 2/15/2005 I asked Mr. Maeir repeatedly for information on insurance and coverage for my $20,000 in household items. He indicated repeatedly he had sent a package for this. I never received one. On numerous occasions he quoted wrong addresses and other excuses for not delivering it.

On 4/2/2005 I flew to Philadelphia and met Mr. Maier at my apartment in Lawrenceville, NJ to deliver to him my household good for shipment. He arrived late without a moving truck, by about five hours sighting issues with his truck. When I asked if this would delay my move he indicated that “the issue will be fixed within hours” and that he would pick up my goods the next day and deliver them as contracted. At no time did he ever indicate a delay would occur. Additionally when I asked about the additional insurance he indicated that because it was Saturday that I could not elect more that the provided 10, 000 and had no other option. Reluctantly I gave MR. Maier my keys to the home, car, and garage.

Additionally at this time I let Mr. Maier know that I bank with a credit union based in Washington, DC, Navy Federal Credit Union. I advised him that paying my “Cash” or “Money Order” would be a problem as I could not take that much cash from an ATM and the nearest location of my bank was over 100 miles away in Orlando, FL. He offered to allow me to wire money and stated he would provide bank wire instructions prior to delivery.

It is my understanding that the next day (4/3/2005) that my household goods and car were picked up. NOTE: I packed all loose items, Mr. Maier agreed to pack and protect large items, to include but not limited to, mattresses, beds, couches, TV’s, and other bulky furniture and items. At no time did I ever receive any list of items received or sign for any items delivered.

On 4/5/2005 I had not yet heard from Mr. Maeir and I called him to determine when he would arrive and the instructions for wire. After five more calls over the next two days I finally reached Mr. Maeir only to be told he would be two days late due to “an illness with a crew member”. Over the next few days and up to 4/9/2005 I called Mr. Maeir repeatedly only then to be told it would be a few more days this time due to mechanical problems. On 4/11/2005 I was again told it would be a few more days.

On 4/13/2005 Mr. Maeir again indicated it would further take a few more days. At this time I grew impatient and alarmed of the shady practice and advised if my household goods were not delivered by 4/13/2005 that I would contact the police. He at that time assured me it would be a few more days and that he was in Virginia with my things waiting to have his vehicle fixed.

On 4/14/2005 I was guaranteed by Mr. Maeir that my shipment would arrive at 9am on 4/15/2005. I confirmed this by calling him that evening and again the next morning. It wasn’t until the morning of 4/15/2005 that I was told he would be a few hours late, “11 or 12 (noon) that day”. I took the day off and waited at my residence accordingly. At noon that day I was told he was 80 miles away in Tampa, by both himself and an unknown colleague named “Lee”. At 2 PM that day I was told it would now be 7 PM that night, at 6 PM I was told 10 or 11pm. I finally received a call at 1 am 4/16/2005 indicating he was in North Port but would delivery the next day at 7 am. He arrived at 11 am the next day.

Upon arriving, my vehicle was being driven by two unknown persons, and had not been shipped as agreed. When I questioned why it was driven Mr. Maeir indicated that he had to as a result of the broken trailer. However, at no time did he very notify me or obtain permission to do so. I asked why he was so late, he cited that it was not his fault that “my crew member left with your car, its not my fault”. After inspecting my car I noticed damages to the hatchback trunk, as if it was pried into or attempted to be opened by a sharp object other than the key. Further the windshield was cracked in two places, a hub cap was missing, and the vehicle smelled of cigarette smoke, and was littered with food, garbage, dog hair and spilled coffee.

Mr Maier and I then discussed the bill, of which he could not produce a weight receipt for how much my shipment would be. He simply told me the weight was 8,140 pounds. The calculations on the bill was not in agreement with the previous quote at an estimated 10,000 lbs. Essentially it did not add up as he reflected. I refused to pay the full amount and demanded a discount of at least $500 for the late delivery. Mr. Maeir agreed but refused to take a check. As a result he called the police. At that time the Police allowed him to leave with my things. Through some persuasion I talked him into returning to delivery my items.

Upon opening his truck my nightmare continued. My household goods were packed to the door, so tight the door would not open. The truck was too small for my shipment, so small an off loading ramp was not brought and Mr. Maeir had to call a tow truck to unload some of my items. Further what could be lifted was slid off the back and down to the ground three feet below.

Item after item came off the truck damaged (see photos). Many items were scratched, dented or in some cases destroyed. My child’s crib was gouged and scarred, my bedroom mattresses were all stained with a grease and dirt, my 53 inch high definition TV had an 8 inch crack in the center and later I was advised by a technician that the internal mirrors and lenses were cracked, totaling the TV. He indicated the trauma was severe and such that it was unnecessary and fairly traumatic. My toddlers dresser was destroyed, drawers crushed. His shelf with a backing that has approx. 30 nails it, had the backing ripped off, torn in three pieces, and had foot prints all over it. My BBQ grill was stepped on the sides at the weld. Many if not all of the components and furniture dismantled by Mr. Maeir was delivered in pieces, but missing the hardware to put it together. This is just an example of the damage, I have numerous pictures to support this and many other damaged items.

Half way through the delivery Mr. Maeir called the police again and demanded he be paid or he would leave. The police advised him he must finish and could not leave under the law.

Further, I never received a list of my items picked up or delivered; I never signed any item showing receipt of my items. Additionally, after the unloading his truck I specifically asked how he would be compensating me for the neglect and damage, Mr. Maeir indicated it was not his fault and that “the truck bounced”. He then allowed me to inspect the truck for any items and I did, the truck was empty.
However, later he would call me to threaten that he “had some of my things, and that if I wanted them I better pay. This would seem planned if the truck was empty.

He never addressed how he would compensate me however, never asked for payment upon completion, simply picked up his things and left. I took this to mean payment was not due given the damage exceed the damages.

Key contested issues:

• Delivery was late, with no explanation, simply excuse and lie after lie. Every delivery time given was broken almost as if they were avoiding delivery.
• No list of goods every produced nor signed for.
• No proof of insurance, no information provided on how to make a claim.
• No proof of weight of shipment every provided, even when requested.
• No permission was ever granted by me to drive my car from NJ to FL. Over 500 extra miles put on car than necessary to go from Lawrenceville, NJ to North Port, FL
• Multiple damages to the car.
• Malicious treatment and neglect of my household goods resulting in costly damage.
• Truck was too small for shipment, causing further damage
• Mr. Maeir kept three items and called to “blackmail” me to pay him.
• Mr. Maeir never responded to my complaints of damaged items when I asked for compensation, he never asked for payment. I perceived his silence to be consensus with my complaint and request for a waived bill.
• Maeir’s relocation claims to be a member of the Better Business Bureau however, the BBB claims no affiliation now or ever.
• The documented entered by Maeir’s relocation appears to be signed by someone other than me. I never signed the item presented and have carbon copies to show this.
• At no time did I ever threaten Mr. Maeir or his crew with any form of violence. In fact the police were present on two occasions, yet this was never mentioned to them.
• I’m not aware of what damage I caused to the vehicle, the only damage I noticed was the broken door Mr. Maeir pointed out to me based on his over packing the truck with my belongings. Again the truck was too small for the shipment.

Diane

Re: ALERT - avoid Maier's Relocation Service (PA)

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:56 pm

I gather that Maier's Relocation Service of Upper Darby, PA (MC #236511) has sued you. This company looks very bad, with two interstate license revocations within the last 14 months alone and many complaints described on its BBB report. So I'm changing the topic heading to an "ALERT - avoid" to warn others.

This article from the NY Times says that Michael Maier of Maier's Relocation in PA is now Michelle Moore, a male-to-female transsexual who had sex change surgery in Thailand - http://www.newamerica.net/index.cfm?pg= ... &DocID=305 Not sure how this fits with your experience. Maybe there were two Michael Maiers associated with the company.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:01 pm

Well, that's in interesting twist!

ptili1

Postby ptili1 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:41 am

Yes, it is unrelated but very strange.

Your dead on these morons are suing me. I was lucky enough to not pay him anything, although my damages outweigh the bill. Im looking forward to the court date, my case is bullet proof with photos, phone records, and other documents. And the beauty of it is he presented a forged document to the court.

As a side note he or she is suing me with the Michelle Moore name.

Please get the word out, this mover is evil and they have harmed too many people.

SRG

Postby SRG » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:25 am

This is not even a company, it's just one man with one truck. Always go with a reputable mover. it may cost you more, but it's worth it. When you go with the cheapest company, you will get what you pay for!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:41 pm

This is not even a company, it's just one man with one truck.

Well, PART of this is not true.... :wink:

Queenbee

Postby Queenbee » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:51 pm

Dear Phil,

Your article was brought to my attention by a friend of mine and I am sorry that Michael has brought you grief,I wanted to cry after reading your story.Michael has always scanned everyone including his 88 year old grandmother into co-signing a house for him in Upper Darby, PA.I am his sister and he has even scanned me after living with me after a year in my residence.He ran up my telephone bill to over $1,000 and he refuses till this day to pay for it.
Mike is a felon in Montgomery County, PA he was arrested with stealing and holding household items blackmail in Upper Dublin, PA something to do with Allied Storage.Mike is wanted by the Montgomery County for this charge and he claims that it was thrown out.Mike does not have a valid drivers license as he claims to have one.
The person driving the car was a woman and she does not have a license.The dog hair was from her dog.
Mike does not have any insurance on his trucks as he claims to.Mike is a scam artist and a con artist and don't believe anything that he tells you about his truck he always has an excuse ask my mother when he was supposed to move her up from Florida which he never did.
I have asked him over the past few months to get out of the business and he gets really angry and he starts to yell and scream and threaten people.
I am sorry to hear your story and I wish that somebody would throw the key away for him.He needs help.IF you would like anymore information then you will need to write back or post a note and then I can contact you with the inforamtion on the were about's Michael.
Take care and God Bless

Ptili1

Postby Ptili1 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:07 pm

Im a little confused. the "woman" you mention was introcuded to me as his sister further there are other stories on the web about this sicko ruing their belongings as well and they point to the "woman" being his sister. If this is the case how many of you are there?

Further, if he is a wanted criminal, turn him in and get him off the street.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:04 pm

Phil,

I have been trying to turn him in for so long noe.However, he is slick enough to not get locked up.I have heartache for the family members whoe like yourslef had to go through with this.Let me ask you if you were willing to sue him whould you need his address were he lives? Please advise.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:07 pm

Phil,

Mike is a smart man and when the heat is on him he hops on a plane to Bankock, Thailand to get away.I wish somebody would pull his passport.
I like to know how amy stories are out there and I might be willing to help you by givving you Mikes personal information.Let me knoe.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:37 pm

http://www.badbusinessbureau.com/report ... 149986.htm

This Rip Off Report shows another instance of Michael Maier's business dealings. Seems calling the police to force custoemrs to pay is a standard practice. But I'm also noting that each time, he's referred to as Michael, not Michelle, and customers have never said "She" did this.

Also note that the car they were hired to be shipped was simply driven to the location :roll: . Maier's does not have authority to move autos.

On 2/15/2005 I was contacted by Mike Maier of Maier's relocation to arrange a household move from Lawrenceville New Jersey, to North Port Florida and to ship my 1993 Nissan 240 SX in a COVERED trailer.

Prior to scheduling a pick up I requested to purchase additional insurance on my household goods (valued at approx. $20,000). Repeatedly I was told a package would be sent for this, but never received it after two months and have never received it to date.

On 4/2/2005 I flew from Florida to New Jersey to meet Mr. Maier to deliver my goods to him for shipment and sign the contract for delivery (Attachment 1, estimate); with the intention of flying out after the pick up was completed. At that time I again inquired about insurance, however, was told that given the day was a Saturday; it was not possible to gain further insurance beyond $10,000 due to his insurance broker being closed. He assured me he had never had any claims and indicated it wouldn't be necessary. However, he provided no proof or information the alleged insurance indicated on the contract.

On that day Mr. Maier was five hours late showing up to pick up my belongings. At that time he indicated he didn't actually have his truck with him as it was broken and was being fixed that day, but assured me he would return the next day to retrieve my items. Reluctantly I gave him the keys to my home, and car for picking this up, given that I had to catch my return flight and needed to move as scheduled. He assured me there would be no delay in reaching the agreed upon destination at the agreed upon delivery date of (4/7/2005). See the contract (Attachment 1 and 1a)

On the 6th of April I called to confirm delivery and was told it would take two more days due to an ill employee; on the 9th I was told two more days due to a mechanical issue with the trailer carrying my car. I was further put off for four more days, each time being told a different reason. On the 14th I was guaranteed by Mr. Maier I would receive delivery on the 15th at 9 am. I took a day off of work and sat at my home all day on the 15th only to have Mr. Maier lie to me for 18 hours about where he was with my personal belongings. Ultimately I received delivery on the 16th around mid day.

Upon arriving, my car was not transported in a carrier but rather driven, without my permission or knowledge. Mr. Maier never notified me it was being transported by a driver. I was told it would be transported in a covered carrier, further, their website boasts this as an added benefit of using their service, and additionally the contract points this out. (See Attachment 1 & Attachment 2)

Upon arrival I noticed my car was damaged in the rear in what appeared to be forced entry to the hatchback key hole. Further, my windshield was cracked in two places, one tire punctured with a screw, and missing one hubcap. Additionally my car was full of dog hair, food, and garbage, spilled coffee, and smelled of smoke. When I questioned this I was told it was driven due to mechanical error with the trailer. Again I was never advised of or granted permission for someone to drive my vehicle. Additionally the distance from Lawrenceville, NJ to North Port, FL is approx. 1178 miles; however, the vehicle had nearly 1,600 miles driven on it. (I have receipts, photos, estimates, and mileage data to prove my damages, and mileage prior to the move)

At that point I demanded an explanation of my bill which was now being presented for a higher amount than the estimate. The estimate was based on a shipment of 10,000 lbs, for a bill of about $3200.00 but I was now being told my bill was over $4000 for a shipment that supposedly weighed 8,143 lbs. Mr. Maier couldn't explain this and only said it was due to my TV being bulky and various other “surcharges” as he called them.

I refused and explained I would pay based on the estimated rate, times my shipment weight. Additionally Mr. Maier could not produce a weight receipt and never has. Further I demanded a discount for the late shipment of no less than $500.00. He agreed to a payment of $3500.00 (see attachment 1a)

Prior to opening the truck, which he seemed very reluctant to do Mr. Maier demanded that I pay him in full first and called the police in an effort to force me to pay him in full prior to unloading the truck. His excuse was that he only took cash or money orders and I only had a check. Prior to the pick up and delivery I had repeatedly told him that my bank was in Washington D.C. and a check was the only way I could pay unless a wire could be accepted, which he would never provide account information for. The North Port, FL police actually let him leave with my goods, however, I later convinced him to return and deliver my goods with payment at the end.

Upon delivering my household goods, nearly every item in my shipment was damaged or destroyed. Including a 53 inch High Definition TV that sustained massive trauma to the screen, mirrors, and lenses. Additionally, all bedroom furniture, mattresses, and other items were severely damaged some beyond repair. Three items are missing, including a Black and Decker weed eater, a Scott's spreader (fertilizer), and ¼ of a futon couch.

Additionally, the company was not prepared with equipment or manpower to remove my goods from the truck; rather they slid it down the back of the truck to the ground three feet below. The truck was too small for my items and some of the damaged was sustained by the opening and closing of the truck door. It should be noted, that no list of my goods was provided by Maier's relocation, ever, and no list was signed by me stating receipt or inventory after delivery as it was not provided. No explanation was every provided as to why there was a ten day delay for the household goods, when the issue was supposedly with the car trailer which was never used. Further, the damage to my goods as of now equal or exceeds the cost of the move, $3500.00 (see contract Attachment 1a).

Prior to completing the delivery he again called the North Port Police and requested that they force me to pay him, they advised they could not and this time told him it was in fact against the law to hold my items from delivery or leave with them. He then completed the delivery.

Further, prior to Mr. Maier leaving after delivering my goods I asked repeatedly what his company was going to about my damages. He continuously avoided the question, loaded his truck and left. I assumed this was consensus that he agreed the damages were greater than the delivery costs. He provided no insurance information for claims, provided no list of my goods, and only repeatedly stated that the damages were not his fault and “the truck bounced”. Further he never asked me to sign a list of what was shipped, received or damaged.

Later the next day he began calling and threatening that he had some of my items and would only return them if I paid the amount owed in full. I ultimately had to change my phone number to stop the harassment. This was definitely intentional as I personally inspected the truck cargo area to ensure all of my items were removed and there was nothing left in the truck.

To date I have not paid this bill and have receipts, photos, and full documentation to support my claim.

Below are bullet items and issues with this move, some of which are violations of the laws and regulations governed by the FHA (Federal Highway Administration).

Delivery was late, with no explanation, simply excuse and lie after lie. Every delivery time given was broken almost as if they were avoiding delivery.

No list of goods every produced nor signed for, only a bill of lading provided.

No proof of insurance, no information provided on how to make a claim.

No proof of weight of shipment every provided, even when requested repeatedly.

No permission was ever granted by me to drive my car from NJ to FL. Over 500 extra miles put on car than necessary to go from Lawrenceville, NJ to North Port, FL

Multiple damages to the car.

Malicious treatment and neglect of my household goods resulting in costly damage.

Truck was too small for shipment, causing further damage
Mr. Maier kept three items and called to “blackmail” me to pay him.

Bill had a different calculation for the estimate vs. the actual and various unexplained surcharges.

Mr. Maier never responded to my complaints of damaged items when I asked for compensation; prior to leaving he never asked for payment. I perceived his silence to be consensus with my complaint and request for a waived bill.

Maier's relocation claims to be a member of the Better Business Bureau however, the BBB claims no affiliation now or ever (See attachment 2 & 3)

While I understand it may not be possible for this agency to assist me in recovery of my loss, I only ask that you do what ever you can in your power and authority to stop this company from doing business in this state and prevent them from victimizing any other families. They claim to make regular trips to Florida and are not operating within the FHA required regulations. Further they seem to be very experienced at taking advantage of people and their personal belongings.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:01 pm

Anybody who has had terrible service by Maier's Relocation should contact the American Moving & Storage Association (www.moving.org). Maier's is a member.

Wal

Postby Wal » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:15 pm

Michael Maier has 3 sisters, two of them are sensible people. the third one, is the one who occasionally works for him. She has a history of Drug, Prostitution, and assault convictions. She, more than likely is the one who was driving your car.

ptili1

Postby ptili1 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:38 pm

This is quite a soap opera. Does the whole family hang out on boards like this often?

MusicMom;

I contact the AMSA by e-mail and they basically told me to take it up with the mover myself. Luckily Im in a unique postion since I refused to pay them and luckily the damages thus far have been at least close to the amount I was billed (depending on how you look at the billing).

By the way I love your site....I am happy to say that when you search google for Maier's relocation, my post on your site is the first selection, even above compay's site. Thank you. I can only hope this keeps people away.

ptili1

Postby ptili1 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:17 pm

Music Mom,

FYI. the item you posted from bad business.com is me as well; that is my story. Hopefully more of their victims will post as well or at least this will stop future potential customers.

Return to “Report A Scam”