Express Moving and Storage

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
gayil

Express Moving and Storage

Postby gayil » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:06 pm

Has anyone heard of them? Are they a scam? I got a phone call from them, but they won't come down for an estimate. I think that automatically puts them on my "no" list.

Diane

Re: Express Moving and Storage

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:28 pm

Check out this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1515

If any of the information matches the company you're talking about, run away as fast as you can!

Gayil, I think you have come on here asking about several scam companies. Please, please don't choose a mover from the Internet! Tell us your situation--how much stuff you have, where you're moving from and to, and when you want to move--and we'll try to help you.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:40 pm

That post definitely convinced me to stay far away.
I plan on moving from Flushing, New York to North Miami Beach, FL sometime in mid August. I currently live in an elevator building in a large 1 bedroom apartment. Meyers Mayflower came to do an estimate last week and estimated that I have about 5300 puonds of stuff that needs moving. His price seemed high to me at around 4500$. Am I right? Or wrong? I had White Glove from Bekins come today for an estimate, and she will get back to me tomorrow with a final price that is not changeable, they don't weigh the truck. Someone we know plans on using them and they got an estimate of about 3000 and I belieive they have more stuff then we do. Someone else we know, used them recently for a move from here to Texas and was very happy with them. I have Moishe's coming later today, and D & R (American Redball branch in my area) coming on Friday. I also have Flatrate coming on Thursday. Any other suggestions? I'm trying to do as best research as I can to get a reputable mover for a decent price. I find this site to be very helpful. THank you.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:02 pm

Anonymous wrote:Meyers Mayflower came to do an estimate last week and estimated that I have about 5300 puonds of stuff that needs moving. His price seemed high to me at around 4500$. Am I right? Or wrong? I had White Glove from Bekins come today for an estimate, and she will get back to me tomorrow with a final price that is not changeable, they don't weigh the truck. Someone we know plans on using them and they got an estimate of about 3000 and I belieive they have more stuff then we do. I have Moishe's coming later today, and D & R (American Redball branch in my area) coming on Friday. I also have Flatrate coming on Thursday. THank you.

These companies are "the usual suspects" for low-cost companies that contact people who put their names on the Internet.

The only one that I would strongly urge you not to use is Meyer's. It has bad reports and comments here, even from other Mayflower agents.

White Glove (Bekins) is not the scammer White Glove in NJ, but still the practice of not weighing the truck seems a bit unusual. In general, Bekins is considered one of the lowest-quality van lines, but I don't think they would actually scam you.

I think Moishe's is probably OK. They might try to sell you high-priced packing materials and hondle you for tips, so your final cost could go higher than you expect.

D & R has a good review here for a local move within NYC, but I'm not sure how it would do on a move of this length. My guess is, probably OK. This is the review, by "Jorge" - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4791 I probably should add that one of the moverpros posting here told me that he considers this review bogus, but since the president of the company is on the board of LIMSA (see thread), I tend to trust it.

Flat Rate has been extensively discussed here. This is one recent thread summarizing a lot of stuff - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5188

Bottom line:- although I myself wouldn't use any of them, I think any company but Meyer's would probably be an OK choice. If you want a really high-quality full-service move you are probably looking in the neighborhood of $5000 regardless of how much stuff you have.

The only way to keep your cost down and still have a high-quality move is to use a freight company like ABF or Broadway Express. Moving with BE would cost you $1791 to move 10 linear feet of goods, which is about what you have - http://www.broadwayexpress.net/household.html Then you would have to hire workers to load and unload you, which might cost around $300 more.

gayil

Postby gayil » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:39 pm

I moved my stuff here:
Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:17 pm Post subject: 2 totally different quotes on how many pounds we have

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had flatrate come and give me an estimate. She told me that we have approximately 8600 pounds worth of stuff! When meyers Mayflower came last week, he told me only 5300 pounds! How do I know who's right?? That seems liek a big difference to me!

Also, she was very skeptical about the idea of measuring by linaer feet, when I told her about Broadway Express. She was very nice, and said she would help me make my decision, even if it meant they lose the move. She just wanted me to be well informed. I'm not sure where to go from here.

I got an estimate from White Glove also, that is a binding estimate, for much lower then both of these places, but I need to speak to her again, to find out more information.

Diane

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:23 pm Post subject: Re: 2 totally different quotes on how many pounds we have

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
gayil,

Try to keep all your posts together on the same thread so people can see your total situation. This is one of your previous threads - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5183

It seems as if Meyer's has given you a lowball quote. As I told you before, rule it out. How many rooms of furniture do you have? Has White Glove (Bekins) actually seen your things or is this just a phone or email quote? If so, it could be lowball too.

To answer your questions, I live in a large 1 bedroom apartment. I have 2 children, so it is pretty full. Bekins (White Glove) came here, and did an inventory of everything that we are moving.

gayil

Postby gayil » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:28 am

We spoke to Broadway Express, and it seems that they are not willing to wrok with us, to ensure it does not get delivered on Saturday. Also, they said that they might not be able to get a truck into Queens, where we live now, and we may have to bring our stuff to New jersey. Does this make any sense?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:02 am

I've never heard of BE asking people to bring their things to New Jersey, but in any case it doesn't sound as if it will work out with them. They do have a lot of trouble getting into Queens at times because of the bridges.

Can you list all of your quotes and all the company names so we can see what companies you're choosing from? Also, what can you afford to pay? And you're the one who doesn't want a Saturday delivery for religious reasons, right?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

gayil

Postby gayil » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:13 am

I am not at home, so I don't know the exact quotes in front of me, but I can give you what I remember:

Bekins White Glove, NY -- 5100 lb -- 3070.95 -- we have 2 people we know who used them and were very happy with them. seemed honest and reliable -- this is a binding quote, they don't weigh the truck, estimated about 50-60 boxes worth of stuff

Meyers Mayflower -- 5300 lb -- about 4500.00
Flatrate -- 8600 lb -- abut 5200$
D&R Movers /American Redball -- 6500 lb -- about 4300$
Moishes -- 5600 lb -- about 3300$

As far as what we can afford, dh's employers are not covering the move, so really , the cheaper the better.

We cannot have a Saturday delivery due to religious reasons.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:25 pm

Hi again,

I would stand behind what I said about Bekins before:
Diane wrote:White Glove (Bekins) is not the scammer White Glove in NJ, but still the practice of not weighing the truck seems a bit unusual. In general, Bekins is considered one of the lowest-quality van lines, but I don't think they would actually scam you.

I believe that you may run into service issues with them, but I'll go out on a limb and say that if your friends were happy with them and you're happy with them so far, and they say they are willing to honor your request to avoid a Saturday delivery, I think you would be OK going with them. If you do so, please let us know what happens because many people come here asking about Bekins White Glove. And please be SURE that this is not the scammer White Glove that is located in NJ. Make sure that the materials they left with you say "Bekins" on them.

gayil

Postby gayil » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:13 pm

Just thought I'd post an update. We decided to go with White Glove. They came last Thursday, as scheduled. We were rather impressed at how quick and proffessional they were. The truck had White Glove written on it. The guys were wearing White Glove tshirts. One guy marked e/t we owned, and wrote a list of each item, so we are sure we have e/t when it comes. Our stuff should be coming aroudn the 15th to 18th of August. I'll update you then on the outcome. So far, we're so good! The guys who did the moving estimated that there was about a little under 5000 lbs after all was said and done. Everything was included in the estimators total. She was really pretty close! I'll let you know what happens!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:23 pm

What a relief. Please do keep us posted. I still can't understand how White Glove (Bekins) can move you for so much less money than the other companies, or why they don't weigh the truck. Maybe they're not using the standard 400N tariff.

gayil

We're in!

Postby gayil » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:17 am

Our stuff arrived on the appointed date range! We weren't overly impressed with the delivery, but there was a major problem, hat we were moveing to Florida and our house had broken a/c! It was really hot! I felt pretty bad for the movers. They brought everything in. We paid exactly the quoted price, nothing more! My computer made it! We were missing one box, which we realized afterwards. We called the company, and they said they found it. It had been left on the truck by mistake because a bunch of blankets had been dumped on top of it. They will redeliver it. All in all, we were very happy with the service we received from White Glove Transportation. A mirror, we had packed cracked, but we were kind of expecting that to him, because my husband hadn't packed it too well. All our furniture was clean and in decent shape. Now for the unpacking...Fun, fun, fun! As soon as we get our a/c fully functional....

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:19 am

OK, thank you. I'm especially glad to hear that White Glove Bekins performed OK because they have a national account to move medical students and people on www.studentdoctor.net kept asking me about them this summer. See this thread, for example - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4178 People reading your review should be sure to note that the White Glove Bekins in NY that moved you is NOT the White Glove in Jersey City, NJ, which is a scammer.

Return to “Open Community”