Moving from NY to Austin

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
smensch

Moving from NY to Austin

Postby smensch » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:43 pm

First off, let me say that this site has been invaluable for researching moving companies. Kudos to all the volunteers!

I'm planning a move between Manhattan and Austin, TX on or around the 5th of August (date is a little flexible), and I could use a few suggestions regarding which moving company to use. Having done some research already, I've already lined up a estimate with Moishe's, Moving Man, Inc., and Berger (an Allied agent). (I'm also planning on giving Dahill a call soon.) Wade Odell Wade told me I needed a minimum moving weight of 2100 lb., so I wasn't sure about that. Also, I did call University, but they could not meet my dates. Is there any other company I should consider?

Just for reference, I currently live in a 1 bedroom apartment, and only about 75% of my stuff is going to be moved. Therefore, I have a few large items, and the rest should be (hopefully) relatively easy to move.

And, yes, to cover my bases, I have considered moving the items myself. However, it does sound a little complicated (hiring labor on both sides to load and unload), and I'm not entirely sure it'll be all that much cheaper. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Diane

Re: Moving from NY to Austin

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:01 pm

Hi - I think all of the companies you're considering sound fine except that I would not use Moishe's for a move of that distance. If you're moving 75% of a typical 1BR apartment you probably do have WOW's 2100-pound minimum or close to it, so I would go ahead and get an estimate from them. With Allied, Wheaton, United, and maybe a Mayflower agent, you have a good selection to choose from. Just be aware that with your small load, you may experience delays while the local agent waits for the long-haul van line driver to swing by the local agent's warehouse.

With BE you have to pay for a 10-foot minimum, or about 4000-5000 pounds, so you would be paying for space that you don't need. Also, I personally think that it's a bit complicated to use BE for a Manhattan move, although I guess it depends on exactly where you are. In any case, your cost with them would be $2074 for 10 feet (although you probably have only about 5) plus you would have to hire people to load and unload and perhaps use a shuttle, maybe another $300 total.

Depending on what kind of stuff you have, you might be able to use a packaging service like ShipSmart or Box Brothers and save some money. Dahill may have a higher minimum than 2100 pounds; the guy I spoke with there told me that in the summer they refer smaller shipments to Above & Beyond Cargo, a packaging service in NYC that is supposed to be good but pricey.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:33 pm

Diane, thanks for responding!

I've so far had 2 in-house estimates, one from Moving Man, Inc., and another from Moishe's. (And I got another over-the-phone estimate from Berger-Allied, which is the highest estimate received so far.) I dealt with Vladimir from Moving Man, who was really nice and rather professional. Unfortunately, he refused to give me a binding estimate, claiming it was unfair to both the customer and the company (is this normal??). Liza from Moishe's was also very nice and professional, and she did give me a GTNE estimate. Moishe's came in $1000 less than Moving Man, too, but the only thing is, their dates aren't all that great for me.

I have an appointment with Dahill next week, and I'm still waiting for Wade Odell Wade to call me back. And I guess I should call back Allied-Berger and see if I can do an in-house estimate to see if the price can be lowered.

Any more advice for me, Diane? :)

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:34 pm

D'oh. Forgot to sign in...

smensch

Postby smensch » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:35 pm

Okay, it's official. This forum software hates me.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:07 pm

Hi - I think you're doing great. I don't know why so many of these companies won't give GNTE estimates, but one of the moverpros here said that they're all probably afraid that they'll come in just a few dollars higher than the next sales rep and then they won't get the sale.

Since they all use the same tariff or price list (except Allied), and the final cost is determined by weight, the discount level is important. For example, if Moving Man gave you a 53% discount and WOW gives you a 55% discount, even if neither one will give you a GNTE, WOW should end up costing you less in the long run after your weight is known. Allied uses a Total Price Guarantee tariff and they may be able to give you a Binding Estimate once they see your things. That means, your cost will not go up OR down and they probably won't even weigh the truck.

I really don't have enough knowledge to tell you much more, but as far as I know, all of the companies you're dealing with have a good reputation, except that Moishe's is a little iffy in some people's minds. I don't think you'll go far wrong no matter who you choose. WOW has an especially good reputation, I believe.

smensch

Postby smensch » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:14 pm

Thanks again, Diane. So far, here are my discount percentages:

Moving Man: 60%
Moishe's: 58.5%

Moving Man quoted me a 3,000 lb weight, while Moishe's came in at 2,555. (Both came to my apartment.)

I believe Moishe's lower price is partly due to the fact that they do not require a shuttle service in NYC, while other companies do.

BTW, does All Star in Brooklyn do long distance moves?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:44 pm

Thanks for mentioning the shuttle. I think that Berger and WOW will probably both say they need to use a shuttle as well, especially if you're in Manhattan.

I'm pretty sure that Moishe's would pick up your things in a small truck and take them to its warehouse, which for all practical purposes is the same as a shuttle. Did it say that it would pick them up and the same truck would start driving to Austin right away? I would rather doubt it. I think the lower price probably just reflects its lower costs because of some factor like lower labor costs or not having to give revenue to the van line or something, since it's independent. I am afraid that you might run into delivery delays with Moishe's while it tries to find other shipments going toward Austin.

Unfortunately I don't think All Star would go as far as Austin unless it just happens to have another shipment going that way. You could certainly call and ask. The owner (Rich) might also be able to give you some advice about which other company to use. He's a very nice person and if he can help you with advice, I'm sure that he will.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:57 pm

I'd be curious to hear people's opinion's about Moishe's. Are major van lines the better way to go? Are there any major line agents that are really good in the NYC area? Thanks

smensch

Postby smensch » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:52 am

Well, I just received an over-the-phone estimate from Wade Odell Wade, and the price is not bad. However, the non-binding ( :( ) estimate calls for 2125 lbs. total weight, and the other in-house estimates ranged from 2555 to 3000 lbs. total weight. Therefore, I asked the guy to calculate the cost for 2800 lbs. total weight as a precaution (in a separate quote). The price jumped $450, which wasn't terrible.

I also noticed on the estimate that there's something about a 10% extra cost if the actual price of the move exceeds 10% of the estimate. Is this normal?

My next plan of action is to compare this new estimate (especially the inventory part) to the others and figure out why the weight is so low. Then, I'll probably have the WOW guy come in for an in-house estimate. What's strange is that I also did an internet/fax estimate request with Allied (agent: Berger), and their price was like $1500 more than WOW.

BTW, the nice Moishe's woman called me today and is pressing for an answer. I understand that time is of the essence, and that she's trying to hold the available room for me, but she's being awfully aggressive.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:02 pm

When are you moving??

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:03 pm

Hi - I think you're doing all the right things. You shouldn't go with any company that hasn't seen what you're shipping, so yes, I would ask WOW to come to your residence. What they have given you is an over-the-phone Nonbinding estimate, and yes, on Nonbinding estimates the cost can go 10% over, by law. From what I've heard, WOW has a somewhat better reputation than Allied Berger.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:12 pm

I just had an in-house estimate from Wade Odell Wade this morning, and they estimated a move of 3400 lbs, 400 lbs more than Moving Man and 900 lbs more than Moishe's. Yet, the price quote was almost exactly the same as Moving Man, meaning I would get more bang for the buck with WOW. (Dahill is out after hearing that they're booked solid for the beginning of August.)

Therefore, I have decided to go with Wade Odell Wade. Not only was their estimate fair, but their moving dates were better than everyone else. Plus, the reputable name (United) gives me a little piece of mind.

In an effort to lower moving costs, I will be going through my stuff to see what I can throw out or sell. My goal is bring the shipping weight down to a more manageable 2800-3000 lbs, which in turn would help lower the cost.

So... on to packing! Does anyone know any cheap places to get boxes in New York City?

smensch

Postby smensch » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:13 pm

... And once again, I forgot to log on before posting. *sigh*

Joey Boots

Postby Joey Boots » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:55 pm

Anonymous wrote:So... on to packing! Does anyone know any cheap places to get boxes in New York City?

Liquor stores, grocery stores and wrapped togehter on the street on garbage days. FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Open Community”