No USDOT # but MC # for Graebel Houston

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
gen

No USDOT # but MC # for Graebel Houston

Postby gen » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:22 pm

I'm trying to decide which moving company to go with. I thought Graebel Houston was sounding good, but when I tried to get the USDOT #, they said they don't have one. They are a branch office, and the company's headquarters is in Aurora, CO. Should I be concerned that they don't have the USDOT #? They do have the MC #. Or that they are a branch and the headquarters are elsewhere? When I asked if they were a broker, they said, "No. We are a branch office."

I'm confused and frustrated with trying to find a legitimate moving company.

Anyone know of a good one from Houston??

gen

found DOT# but it's for the hq

Postby gen » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:27 pm

So, I found the USDOT# on safersys.org, but everything (including the MC#) is tied to the headquarters in Colorado. I don't see anything specifically about this branch office. Should they have separate mc and dot numbers?

Diane

Re: No USDOT # but MC # for Graebel Houston

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:37 pm

No - it's fine if they use the MC and DOT numbers for Graebel Van Lines in general. Graebel agents are usually very reputable. Which companies are you considering in Houston and where are you moving to?

Armstrong (United) might be another one to consider. Also, Atlantic Relocation Systems (Atlas), which won a quality award from the van line in 2004.

gen

Postby gen » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:25 pm

Thanks for your help, Diane.

I'm moving from Houston to Auburn, AL. I also contacted A Better Tripp. I posted yesterday about them. Now that I know the right questions and what to ask for, they seem a little fishy, but I used them to move to Washington, DC 8 years ago and didn't have any problems. I can't decide if I shoud go with the company I've used before or try a different one that seems more reliable. I'll contact the two you recommended too. Thanks!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:03 pm

Hi again - I just reviewed your post about A Better Tripp. I share MusicMom's concerns about their three-year-long license revocation and the recent BBB complaints. I think they might be too risky to use.

Graebel's closest agent to Auburn is in Birmingham, which is pretty far away. Atlas has an agent in Columbus, GA, 32 miles from Auburn. I think if I were you I would start by calling Atlantic Relocation, which as I said is an award-winning company that should be a very good performer. Then if you want to get an estimate from Armstrong and Graebel as well, do so. But if you're satisfied with Atlantic you could just leave it at that.

Since your move isn't all that far (less than 700 miles), it's possible that whatever company you choose would also haul your shipment. If so, that's a plus. Ask about this when you call the companies, and ask for a GNTE quote.

IMP

Postby IMP » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:53 pm

All 3 mentioned would be safe to get estimates from. I would certainly recommend getting more than one. Although I do not work for any of the 3 mentioned, I have friends who work for one, and was moved by another when my husband was transferred. I would be comfortable with Graebel, Armstrong or Atlantic in my home - and I do this for a living, so that is saying something!

gen

Postby gen » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:05 pm

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I finally got an estimate from Atlantic Relocation Systems. My husband was here when they came, and they gave him a "total assured price protection cost" estimate that is $600 less than the not to exceed estimates we received from Graebel and A Better Trip. I'm assuming this is not the same as a not to exceed estimate. Is that correct?

The weight they quoted was 5500lbs. The others were 6000 and 2500, so I feel comfortable with the weight quoted.

I guess I should get a not-to-exceed estimate from Atalantic. Any other advice?

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:21 pm

I believe that Atlas' Total Assured Price Protection quote is the same as a Binding Not to Exceed quote, where the price will go down if the weight is lower than the estimate and won't go up if the weight is higher. You should check with the sales rep to make sure. We had a discussion of it on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1636 (second page) Atlantic's quote sounds like a winner to me.

:arrow: Unbelievable that A Better Tripp estimated your weight at 2500 pounds while reputable companies had it at around 6000. Thank goodness you dropped them.

gen

Postby gen » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:46 pm

Thanks so much for all of your help Diane! I talked to the rep from Atlantic, and the estimate was a not-to exceed quote, and it's going to save us $600, so we are very happy to have found this website! I'm glad I dropped A Better Trip too! I'll post again after the move, but I feel much more comfortable.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:50 pm

You're very welcome. I'm sure that Michael will be very pleased as well, since he works for an Atlas agent. :lol:

Not sure if I mentioned it before, but someone posted that you can get free full replacement value coverage with Atlas agents if you have more than 5000 pounds and you're a member of AAA. You might ask about it.

Please do let us know what happens, since this will be our first review of Atlantic and I think it's probably a very good company.

PureDub

Postby PureDub » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:36 pm

Wheaton Van Lines offer the same thing thru AAA, also the 05 GSA results were posted on their web site with Wheaton Van Lines Taking the # 1 spot in customer service of the Major Van Lines.
:D

Return to “Open Community”