Confusing move from Portland OR to NYC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
maybellehell

Confusing move from Portland OR to NYC

Postby maybellehell » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:00 pm

Hi,

First off, I love this site. This is exactly the kind of citizen activism that makes the net so awesome. Thanks in advance to everyone who offers their time.

I left Portland last year to attend school in NYC and stored all my stuff in my garage there. I have gotten a job in NYC and plan to sell my house in Portland, so I need to get my stuff out here in mid-August.

To make matters even more complicated, I don't have room in my current NYC digs for my stuff, so it all needs to go into storage until I can find my own place in NYC (a whole other complicated endeavor). And to make matters even more complicated, I have a busy new job, so I can only take a few days off to go to Portland to oversee a move. I don't think I can do a move a u pack we move kind of thing because of time and because when it gets to NYC it's going into storage.

It seems like more people move *to* Portland rather than away (makes sense, Portland is great) so there are few if any reviews on this site about Portland area movers.

Anyone have an opinion on using a mover based out of New York for this kind of move. How would they do the estimate?

Any advice on the storage issue?

Thanks so much,

Caryn

Nancy

Re: Confusing move from Portland OR to NYC

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:12 pm

I would suggest you have a mover in Portland do the estimate and move. For a starting point, try http://www.odwa.com/ for some referrals. Do you have any old friends or perhaps your realtor can meet an estimator there for the quote?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:19 pm

You might also want to investigate ABF's new mobile storage containers (see ABF review #23). People have said that ABF will store the containers for around $95/month and I know that ABF has a terminal in NJ. You would need to find out whether the service is available in Portland, but in some places ABF will even drop off the container at the residence and you could load it (or them) there. Each container supposedly holds up to around 2500 pounds.

maybellehell

Postby maybellehell » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:41 pm

Thanks for writing back.

What do you think about national companies? I am willing to pay more for a good, trustworthy national company. I kinda want to steer clear of the u pack/unpack scenario because I just don't have the time or the manpower to do it on either end.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:17 pm

If you want a full service mover, I think Nancy's suggestion to look at the OR movers' association website is very good. You could call them to ask for two or three names. I personally wouldn't use a moving company based in New York.

I know there is a branch of Alexander's Mobility Services (Atlas) in Portland, and it won a Milton Hill Quality Award in 2004, a very good sign--503-492-7960. There is also a branch of Chipman Corp. (United) in Portland; since there seem to be two Chipmans, this is the phone number on the Chipman United website--800-547-0954. Finally, there is a company called Bekins Northwest that I think I have seen good reviews of--503-885-1163--but I think this might be another Atlas agent despite the name. Probably your realtor in Portland could give you good advice on this.

If you use an Atlas agent, there is a good Atlas agent called University Van Lines in Rahway, NJ that also got a Milton Hill Quality Award in 2004, so maybe if Alexander's in Portland is your booking and origin agent, you could request that University Van Lines be your destination agent (i.e. the company that will receive, store, and deliver your things). The people at University have excellent reviews here and I feel that they would be pleasant to deal with at the NJ end when you're ready to have your things delivered. See reviews in the Epinions article linked to below. People have posted that if you go with an Atlas agent you can get free full replacement value coverage of your things if you have AAA.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:27 pm

Wait a second, you went to NYC for school last year, and you already have a good job? How did you manage that??? :wink:

And I know what you mean about Portland being so great, we had to be ripped away two years ago. We'd go back in a heartbeat.

If this helps at all, we were very impressed that the United agent in Portland was willing to help us in a same-day emergency situation (scam move details I won't go into now :evil: ), and I wish to GOD we had taken them up on their offer. Based on their very helpful and sympathetic employees, I would add them to your list to get a quote from.

[I just looked at United's site to see which agent it was, and it was Chipman. Score another point for them!]

maybellehell

Postby maybellehell » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:54 pm

Cool. I'll check out the options and post the results. Thanks for the input.

maybellehell

Postby maybellehell » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:32 pm

Hi, it's been a while and I wanted to let you all know how it went. I would definitely recommend Alexander's Mobility Services in Portland. My rep was Larry and he was always attentive and returned my calls.

A few snafus: the guy who picked up my stuff in Portland ended up not being the person who transported them to New York. I called his cell a few days into the move to ask a question and he didn't call back. I called again and he told me that he had hurt his back and transferred his load to some other trucker. I was pretty annoyed that no one had told me about it. And annoyed because that meant that all my stuff was moved out of one truck into another, increasing the chances of damage. Still, they never said that WOULDN'T happen. The other snafu is that I charged the move on my credit card and they had to put the price of a shuttle on it and promised to remove it if shuttle wasn't needed. Luckily (and thanks to the pro movers who worked with my very urban situation) no shuttle was needed. It took over a month, however, to get the $500 off my card.

But like I said, I always felt that Larry would take care of everything and that he was fair and looking out for me. Even though my stuff switched trucks, only one minor thing was broken and it wasn't in the best shape to begin with.

Stuff got there earlier than promised: picked up on Aug 22 and delivered on Sept 2.

Portland to Brooklyn NY: cost about $3,175 including tips.

Also: want to note for other New Yorkers: if you're doing an in-city move, I recommend www.citimove.com as a great place to find and rate movers. I ended up using RVS MOVING & DELIVERY SERVICE (917) 698-9473 and was pleased with them.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Return to “Open Community”