Local Chicago Move on August 5

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
bignydawg1

Local Chicago Move on August 5

Postby bignydawg1 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:47 pm

I'm wondering if you know of any good Chicago movers who won't charge me exorbitant rates for things like wrapping furniture. A reasonable hourly rate would also be nice. I have about 3500 lbs of stuff and nothing overly valuable. It is a second floor apartment to a private entrance 1st floor condo with an up- and down-stairs. My original choice wan't available that date and suggested New World Van Lines. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Diane

Re: Local Chicago Move on August 5

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:33 pm

A company that has good reviews here is Dels Movers at www.delsmovers.com. You could also call contact Ms. Patricia McLaughlin, Executive Director of the Illinois Movers' and Warehousemen's Association, phone 217-585-2470 or 888-791-2516, to ask for names of a few reliable companies. Another source might be www.eMove.com, although almost all of those companies are unlicensed and their workers lack worker's comp.

lindsey_own

Postby lindsey_own » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:44 am

Movers can't charge you for wrapping furniture if you <i>wrap it yourself</i>. Buy a roll of moving wrap (looks like huge Saran wrap) and wrap your furniture yourself. While you're at it, disassemble your tables, desks, and chairs; stack all of the pieces neatly, <i>then</i> wrap all the pieces in a big slathering of plastic wrap. For couches and mattresses, have a friend hold up one end while you wrap the plastic all around.

And then hire Del's.

- Lindsey

(Nope, Diane, still no commission)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:07 am

Some moving companies will include the furniture protection with the hourly rate, including sanitary bags for mattresses. Just make sure to ask.

bignydawg1

Postby bignydawg1 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:11 pm

Thanks for your help, guys.

I have now received recommendations for 4 movers:

Jensen & Sons
J. Bradtke
Hassett Moving & Storage
Del's

Sadly, 2 of the movers are already booked for next week (I put this off too long), but I am waiting on Del's, which I'm hoping is available because the other company J. Bradtke is good but a little expensive at $120/hour plus $120 truck and driving fees. I'll let you know how my experience turns out with whichever company I am able to secure for my move. Interestingly enough, most movers insure stuff for pennies on the pound while J. Bradtke claims they are insured up to $100,000. Maybe that explains the rate premium, but since my stuff isn't nearly valuable enough to justify the extra price I'm hoping Del's comes through.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:29 pm

Thanks - if you could post contact information for all of these movers (besides Del's), and what you've heard about them, and any other details such as what they charge, it would be very helpful, because people are always asking us for recommendations for local movers in Chicago. We'd like to be able to mention other companies in case Del's isn't available.

Also, a good review of Wolley Movers (www.wolleymovers.com) has just been posted - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5392

Return to “Open Community”