There is nothing "Great" about Great American

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mschool

There is nothing "Great" about Great American

Postby mschool » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:40 pm

I live in California. I used Great American Van Lines (GAVL) with MC #520641 for a simple furniture move from New Jersey to Connecticut on July 14th. After I agreed to their competitive estimate, I FAX'd them an inventory of seven items. The sales guy told me he received the FAX. "We're all set", he said.

They showed up on time at the pick-up site and finished within an hour. The movers asked for Toll money which we gave to them. I called GAVL to complain and they said, "oh that wasn't in the original estmate....yeah that's right...we're going to enter you as a VIP in our system"...

5 hours later they called the Connecticut drop-off site to say their truck had broken down in New Jersey and wanted directions. They then travelled in rush hour traffic which doubled their travel time. When they finished at nearly midnight, the bill was more than twice my original estimate. The movers would not leave the Connecticut premises until final payment was received.

I was then forced to "negotiate" to a high, but unpleasant settlement with the owner of GAVL by phone, as my family in Connecticut was being intimidated by their movers. The movers would not leave the premises until a number had been agreed upon. The owner made the situation "my problem". He whined about his tired men and how the trip cost so much, and how he was losing money. At the same time, his two guys are sitting in a Connecticut kitchen at 12 midnight, and refusing to budge. I begrudgingly agreed to an amount that was substantially higher than the original estimate, knowing I was being taken advantage of, but afraid fo my family in Connecticut. To add insult to injury, the 2 movers asked for Toll money and tips for the return leg. Unbelievable. There are no tolls on the return trip. In hindsight, I should have called the Connecticut police.

The next day, I learned they the inventory was short. Only 5 of 7 items had been picked up. GAVL was only focused on my credit card and no details. The "sales guy" blamed the mix-up on "the secreatry". Yeah right.

I have been going back and forth for 2 weeks with these guys. They promised me a resolution that is not forthcoming.

This is either lousy execution on their side or "bait and switch". Regardless, do not use them.

MusicMom

Re: There is nothing "Great" about Great American

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:54 pm

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39517

This is the thread where they first appeared. Scroll down to the bottom for their information, most of the thread was speculating about which company they actually were.

The legal name for Great American Van Lines is "Mirit Great American". They've been licensed only since June 15th.

Return to “Open Community”