Successful Town and Country Move (DC-NC)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Ckimoo

Successful Town and Country Move (DC-NC)

Postby Ckimoo » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:48 pm

Hi all!
I posted a month or so ago about the estimate that we received concerning the weight of our move which was estimated at 30,000 lbs. That was apparently adjusted to 27,000 lbs and ultimately our load weighed in at 23,500 lbs.

But, let me start at the beginning.

I spent many hours online checking out moving companies in the Washington DC area and we ended up getting 2 estimates: Von Paris and Town and Country. Paxton came out but realized that they booked up for our dates since the appt was made.

One company that I contacted called Capitalway Moving and Storage was going come and give an estimate until I found out from safersys.org that they did not have an MC# and were not authorized to do interstate moves.

We decided to go with Town and Country.

The night of July 21, they called and said they would arrive between 8:30 and 9:30 am and they did. My family did all the packing having bought roughly $750 worth of packing materials from uline.com

on July 22, five guys showed up and they started working. It took them 10 hours to load everything into the truck. We fed them pizza and had lots and lots of Gatorade on hand for them. They were each very personable and what was most impressive was the way they worked in tandem with each other. Some did not speak English but were able to to communicate with us and their supervisor spoke English.

One of the guys, we nicknamed "The Ant" because it seemed he could lift a hundred times his own weight. These guys were impressive! It made the long day more interesting We learned a little about each one, where they came from, etc.

Less than a week later on July 26, someone called and said they would be at the new house at 8am the next morning--and they were.

There were 3 guys to unload the truck. The heat index was about 115 but luckily this house had lots of shade or I think they would have died.
Again, we had plenty of water, Gatorade, snacks and this time chicken for lunch. It took the three of them 11 hours to unload and put together the furniture. There were a few things left undone, but they were not serious--in fact, my mom may have told them to leave it.

I think she drove them nuts because many boxes were not well labeled so that they would know where to take it in the house--she directed them at every turn. They didn't complain though--just called out--"hallo!" and she rattled off the location.

We haven't found any damage of any kind. One box that was labeled "Very fragile" had been slightly crushed, but of course since the contents were so fragile, we had packed it with lots of peanuts and bubble wrap and nothing was broken. None of the furniture was broken. There were 4 large cabinets with glass doors and shelves and everything was fine.

From start to finish Town and Country was first class all the way. Their workers were well trained, seemed to enjoy what they were doing, worked really hard and were interesting people.

At the end of the day, the supervisor presented the bill which was $4000 LESS than the estimate of $12,000. At both ends we tipped $40/person for a total of $320.

So, the total cost of the move was roughly just over $9000 including tips, food and packing materials.

My uncle is moving from the DC area to NC this fall and I think he will use Town and Country. They just did such a nice job. Moving can be so stressful and they helped make it a positive experience.

Thank-you to everyone here who helps keep this community together. All the information I gleaned from reading posts and especially the articles and checking everything with safersys really paid off!
Kim

MusicMom

Re: Successful Town and Country Move (DC-NC)

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:09 am

Thank YOU very much for this detailed review! I'm glad it worked out for you, both stress-wise and financially.

Return to “Open Community”