Seems like a clear choice - Am I missing anything?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Seems like a clear choice - Am I missing anything?

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:06 am

Hi -

First, thanks to all of you involved with this site. It has been a great resource to me in planning our move. Now on to business...

We're moving mid-September from North Bend, WA (Seattle area) to St. George, UT. I contacted four companies and had them come out to prepare estimates. Looking at them, one appears to be the clear leader. Details are below. Am I missing anything in planning to use the Allied Van Lines agent?

"Search" found two comments about North Coast, one positive, one non-committal.

Thanks for any feedback!
- phil

-----------------------

North Coast Moving & Storage (Allied Van Lines, Inc.)
Est. Weight 13,270
Containers/Packing/Crating $908.87
Total NTE Quote $6,777.55 (62% disc)

Destination agent (Slater Transfer & Storage) is in dest. city.

-----------------------

Mitchell Moving & Storage (Atlas)
Est. Weight 16,400
Containers/Packing/Crating $1,214.98
Light/Bulky Item $160.42
Total NTE Quote $8,392.32 (62% disc)

Destination agent (Mollerup Van & Storage) is in dest. city.

-----------------------

Corporate Moving Systems (United)
Est. Weight 15,000
TV Over 40" $160.42
Containers/Packing/Crating $1,223.35
Total NTE Quote $9,264.64 (63% disc)

Destination agent (AAction Movers of NV) is 110 miles away, in Vegas.

-----------------------

Graebel
They came by to do estimate, but never did provide final quote. I followed up with a phone call, but still nothing. They're out.

Re: Seems like a clear choice - Am I missing anything?

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:25 am

phil first thing you need to do is compare the inventory list from all 3 companies, there is a big difference in weight. what did allied leave off that the other 2 added.

did you tell them all the same items going?

check the list and get back to us. If they are all not to exceed why not go with the higher one and if the weight is less you pay less.

looking at these estimates it looks like allied left out a few rooms.

the better choice based on price would be atlas

weem

Postby weem » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:37 am

In my opinion Atlas is not clearly the best---discount of 62% vs 62%--.I do agree that the "cube sheets" be compared. Allied should be challenged to explain why their estimated weight is so much lower.

philiplo

Postby philiplo » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:07 am

Thanks for the quick responses. So far, Allied is the only one to provide a full inventory, and it appears complete. I will contact Atlas and United today to get the same from them, then post the results.

- phil

MarylandCrab

Postby MarylandCrab » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:26 am

Allied and Atlas seem to be the same price per pound. If you divide the cost by the poundage they are each ultimately charging .51 per pound. To me it isn't a clear cut victory, it's a matter of who is closest in the weight estimate. You may not find that out until moving day.

I'd ask all three how they came up with their poundage figures.

Don't Shoot

Postby Don't Shoot » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:28 am

The inventory is the crux of the pricing. Without it the pricing means nothing and the price could go up at will because what makes up the price has not been clearly defined. Go through all of the inventories you receive room-by-room and make sure nothing is omitted and visa versa. Don't think that it is included in the price if it is missing from the inventory.

philiplo

Postby philiplo » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:34 pm

A quick Friday night update here. I contacted both United and Atlas to ask for cube sheets so I could compare to Allied. Odd that they didn't leave them with me when they were here, isn't it? Anyway, United got back to me right away and sent theirs. I still haven't heard back from Atlas. Maybe they don't need the business?

United's inventory listed the same items as Allied's, but had a significant "fudge factor" built in. As a quick example, I do woodworking as a hobby and have a lot of wood in the garage. I told them which pieces I would be taking (about 50 lb), with the remainder being given to friends. United's sheet showed 200 lb of wood. There were several other similar situations.

At this point, I'm favoring Allied. They've been easy to get ahold of when I have questions, they have an established agent in the destination city, and they received a favorable comment from someone here. United has been easy to reach, but is second in my opinion because the numbers are fudged a bit, and their destination agent is more than 100 miles from where we're going. Atlas is fading fast because they're not responding to my request for an inventory list.

Going once ... going twice ... I'll think about it over the weekend and make my decision Monday.

Thanks for all the input so far, and for any comments that may follow.

- phil

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:31 pm

Phil,

I checked out the report on North Coast (Allied) that you mentioned and I was impressed by it - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4086

That was a solid thumbs up by a very believable person who had moved with them. I vote for North Coast.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:01 am

Weem,

Thats funny, Atlas is "CLEARLY" not the "BEST" based on a 1% discount difference??? Yes I see the logic in that.

In my opinion Atlas is not clearly the best---discount of 62% vs 62%--
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

weem

Postby weem » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:26 am

United had the 63% Micheal- not Atlas. Where is the lack of logic?

Me/Michael

Postby Me/Michael » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:50 pm

Your talking about 1% weem. 1%, not 10%, not 20% not 50%, but 1%. And yes I know what you meant even though you said 62%.

Since when did 1% make a company clearly better then any other????

And how does Atlas still have a 62% discount and 1400 more pounds but still is $900 dollars cheaper then United (I have an idea why) but how does 1% make a company clearly better??? Thats what I want to understand from you.

1% of either company is $83.00 to $92.00 difference. So how does that make someone clearly better?????

I can understand someone being 5% or 10% higher on the discount, but a higher discount does not make a company "CLEARLY BETTER".

Aside from that, Guest, I think its better to error on the side of caution then to error on the side of what you "think" you might do. No offense, but I would guestimate maybe 2 in 10 shippers do what they say they are going to do or think they are going to do before the move.

Quality wise I dont think you can go wrong with any of the companies listed. And you wont be scammed by any of them either.

Best of luck,

weem

Postby weem » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:56 pm

Micheal:
My remarks regarding Atlas not being the best choice were in response to the guest"s first reply to the initial post--I was not implying that 1% made United better.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:34 am

Well then Weem, I will agree with you on the fact that their follow up to the customer thus far is lacking. And would chalk one up for United for replying to his request so quickly.

Thanks,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Return to “Open Community”