Altas versus Wheaton

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Jackie B

Altas versus Wheaton

Postby Jackie B » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:42 pm

I am moving from Phoenix AZ to Davis CA (Sacramento area) and have 4 moving quotes. The following are two that I've preferred:

Southwest Transfer agent for Atlas -
estimated weight 9550
price not to exceed is $3976 which includes full replacement value of $50,000

Desert Sun Moving agent for Wheaton -
estimated weight 8900
price not to exceed is $3365 does not include full replacement
Cost to add $50,000 full replacement is $395

Neither one of the stood out agains the other and with about $200 difference they seem fairly equal. I did have one of the other contenders say that Wheaton is smaller and with fewer trucks there is more of a chance they will load locally then transfer the goods to another truck. He said with a larger company that chance becomes very small. Should I be worried about this?

Allied quoted me $3939 guaranteed at weight of 8550 but since it was not priced at "not to exceed" I thought they should be out of the running. I'm also getting one last quote today from McCollisters Transport an agent for Mayflower.

Any advice is appreciated

Diane

Re: Altas versus Wheaton

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:26 pm

Hi - I think all four of the companies you mention would be fine. "Avionico" was moving with ABC Moving (Allied) from Phoenix to FL but never got back to us - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4573 You could send him/her a PM to see how it went.
I did have one of the other contenders say that Wheaton is smaller and with fewer trucks there is more of a chance they will load locally then transfer the goods to another truck. He said with a larger company that chance becomes very small.

This is true about Wheaton, but you could also have one of the other companies do that at this busy time of year. I would not exactly call the chance of it "very small"--perhaps people in the industry will comment on this.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:51 pm

Thanks Diane, I will try "Avionico" and let you know reply.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:59 pm

I just posted for a someone here who used Bekins and is stuck in NY waiting for a driver.

And Diane is right. Bigger doesnt necessarily guarantee you anything. Even with McCollisters, one of Uniteds largest agents, you could be G-11/APU, moving lingo for, picked up locally and held until a driver shows up.

Fortunately in your case if you are delivered later then your agreed upon spread you can file a delay claim.

If you look at the big picture, Atlas has a better rep then Wheaton. But the smaller picture are the agents. Desert Sun for Wheaton could be a great agent that your dealing with, I dont know. I can definitely check into Southwest for you on their quality and get back, but may be a few days.

And if your crossing out Allied for their TPG I am sure Avionico is going to give you the same thing.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Jackie B

Postby Jackie B » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:10 pm

I'd appreciate information you find on Southwest. When I asked the consultant about checking them with the Better Business Bureau he did mention a problem with some unsettled claims. He went into a story about how they've tried to reconcile them but the customers are being unreasonable etc. When I checked with the BBB it did say they were not a member and they were listed as "unsatisfactory" because of unsettled claims. Now that could mean anything from their a bad firm to deal with to simply some misunderstandings that just need to be settled. But, it doesn't give you a warm fuzzy. So far both Southwest and Desert Sun followed up with me with a call after the initial visit. But, that really only means the consultant is responsive. They will both give me boxes so I don't have to purchase any and their prices are about equal. This is a very hard decision since there doesn't seem to be a stand out.

Any feedback will be appreciated. I'll have to make my decision next week on who I'll pick.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:55 pm

Jackie,

Ask Southwest to give you their quality scores for the just ended quarter. They should be able to get them to you. If they cant let me know and I will.

If its all apple to apple, I would go with who your most comfortable with at this point in the game.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Jackie B

Postby Jackie B » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:46 pm

Michael, I left a message for the consultant at Atlas yesterday morning requesting their quality rating. And, the message was left directly on his cell phone so I know he got it. I haven't heard back from him yet. Would you be able to get that info for me?

thanks,
Jackie

Return to “Open Community”