A good experience!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
charmcity

A good experience!

Postby charmcity » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:13 am

I lurked on this board a bit before my move, and wanted to report that our move actually went smoothly! We used Ace Relocation Systems based in Long Beach, CA, an agent for Atlas, to move from Southern California to Baltimore. Beforehand, they gave us an itemized estimate that clearly showed the charges and what they were for, along with a detailed inventory estimate. We were able to pay by credit card.

The loading crew was prompt and professional. The delivery crew (2 guys and the driver) came towards the beginning of the 13-day delivery window. They, too, were professional, and managed to get a piano 2.5 floors up a winding staircase without a dent (and received a very handsome tip as a result). There were no unexpected surcharges -we expected the shuttle charge since it's a narrow street. Everything arrived, and it was all basically intact and undamaged. The one bit of damage was to a very cheap and cheaply-constructed particle-board file cabinet whose cardboard backing fell off, but it's otherwise still in serviceable condition. (Haven't tried my 8-year-old computer yet, but all other consumer electronics still work fine.)

The one thing that could have gone better (and not necessarily their fault, we were just paranoid after reading all the reports on this board!): After our shipment was loaded, we were told the weight, and the next day they called and told us that someone had made an arithmetic error and it was really 1000 lbs more (and therefore would cost us more), though this was still well under the initial weight estimate of 5000 lbs. We were a little concerned about the discrepancy, so they offered us a re-weighing at the destination free of charge. Of course, when they re-weighed, the weight was actually more...so we lost out there. Don't have any good reason to believe that there was any funny business, but haven't yet seen the second weight ticket. Hope to do so soon.

Overall, we were impressed that our stuff all arrived on schedule, and nothing was broken or lost. Good luck to all of you who are moving in the future!

Diane

Re: A good experience!

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:34 am

charmcity wrote:After our shipment was loaded, we were told the weight, and the next day they called and told us that someone had made an arithmetic error and it was really 1000 lbs more (and therefore would cost us more), though this was still well under the initial weight estimate of 5000 lbs. We were a little concerned about the discrepancy, so they offered us a re-weighing at the destination free of charge. Of course, when they re-weighed, the weight was actually more...so we lost out there.

Thanks so much for this good report--the first we have of that branch of Ace Relocation. The above is just a reminder that if people ask for a re-weighing, the second weight is the one that will be used for billing purposes.

I can see that that incident was just a very small part of an overall excellent move, and I'll keep your review in mind when people ask about companies in Orange County. Thanks again.

Return to “Open Community”