Moving from Jersey City to Pittsburgh - need advice ...

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Moving from Jersey City to Pittsburgh - need advice ...

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:22 pm

Hi Friends,

I'll be moving from Jersey City, NJ to Pittsburgh, PA sometime next week, and have been asking many movers for moving estimates. While most online estimates were in the range of $1600 to $2400, a couple of people who came in to see the place for visual estimates gave me the following figures for my 2-bedroom apartment:

Moving Zone - $1800 (based on the number of hours)
Flat Rate - $3400 (says that it includes complete packing/unpacking too)
Moishe's - $5000 !!! (says otherwise they won't be able to guarantee when the truck would get there)

I am trying to go through all the review posts here for more information, but would also appreciate it if I could get some advice more experienced people too (this site, by the way, was recommended by the Flat Rate guy himself).

I am also considering using a freight service like ABF or BE, but have to figure out how to handle the loading/unloading part of it through outside Labor services.

Thanks in advance - Prashant.

Diane

Re: Moving from Jersey City to Pittsburgh - need advice ...

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:46 pm

Hi - I would rule out the low and high quotes but I think that Flat Rate would probably be OK. Interesting that Moishe's couldn't predict when the load would arrive, supporting my belief that it's best not to use them for moves of more than about 250 miles.

If you're considering BE I guess you know that they would charge $1508 for 10 linear feet, which is about what you have. But it's very late to be trying to book them for a move next week. You have about enough to fill two ABF mobile storage containers if you want to try to go that route. You could, of course, use LaborReady to help load and unload.

psehgal

Postby psehgal » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:16 pm

Diane wrote:If you're considering BE I guess you know that they would charge $1508 for 10 linear feet, which is about what you have. But it's very late to be trying to book them for a move next week. You have about enough to fill two ABF mobile storage containers if you want to try to go that route. You could, of course, use LaborReady to help load and unload.

Thanks a TON, Diane for your quick reply!

I checked out LaborReady and it seems to be a GREAT resource! They quoted me rates of about $15-$20 per person per hour, with a minimum of 4 hours - so, with 2 people each for loading and unloading, I am looking at a cost of only $300 or so!

I am still not sure about the difference in ABF and BE though - ABF has quoted me only $634 for 10 linear feet (with an extra $51 per linear foot), while BE charges over twice that amount! Is the extra price justifiable?

Thanks - Prashant.
~ Prashant.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:20 pm

Hi - before I get into the differences between ABF and BE, please call BE to make sure they could accommodate you, because I think they are very booked up. If they can't, I think ABF would work out fine.

psehgal

Postby psehgal » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:28 pm

Diane wrote:Hi - before I get into the differences between ABF and BE, please call BE to make sure they could accommodate you, because I think they are very booked up. If they can't, I think ABF would work out fine.

Just called up BE, and they said they wont do moves under 500 miles, and mine is only 360 miles. So, I guess they won't be a possibility.

I also called up Movex, and they said that they should be able to do it - although, I'm a little sceptical about them after reading some of earlier reviewers saying that they backed out from the commitment just a day or two before the move!

So, I guess unless I find a better rate from a full-service mover, I'll probably go with ABF!

Thanks again.
~ Prashant.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:38 pm

Yes, I think that ABF should be fine for you unless you have valuable antiques. Usually there is at least some minor surface damage with ABF (I moved with ABF myself). But you can minimize it by loading very tightly and padding your things well so that the furniture can't rub on each other. You should wrap everything in old quilts or cheap ones that you might find at a place like Costco. In a pinch you can use cardboard. Fill all the spaces between the boxes with pillows, bags full of clothing, etc. You might want to look at our Packing and Loading thread on the sticky at the top of the messageboard. Request LaborReady workers who have had moving experience.

Return to “Open Community”