furniture arriving and billing problem!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
pete

furniture arriving and billing problem!

Postby pete » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:45 pm

Well, last time I checked in the driver was concerned that there would not be enough room for my load, but thank goodness he found a way to fit it all on.
It was a good thing that my actual weight was only 9800 lbs not the 14000 lbs they estimated.
Now my problem, I received a binding not to exceed estimate and since my load was significantly lighter and they packed only 2/3 of the estimate I expected my bill to be a lot lower. while I was driving to Phoenix today and they called me with the final cost of my move. They gave me a price of over $10,100 and told me that I had to pay for 10000 lbs in order to keep my discount. I was not able to stop and check it out until after the office had closed in CT. I am now in AZ. I just figured out what I think the price should be and it comes to just over $9000 (even figuring for 10000lbs). The moving company was Fallon Mayflower in Windsor CT.

I gave them my credit card to pay for the move and the driver just called me to schedule delivery tomorrow morning and said that all he has to do is write the price on the bill of lading and give it to me, the credit card is already charged.

I figure the bill based on the rates and prices they gave me for the higher weight and just factored it for the lower actual weight and then added up the actual boxes used and packed.

Any suggestions about what I can do when I call the moving company in the morning?
What rights do I have about seeing a final bill before I am charged and I can't find anything in my paper work about a 10000 lb min.

Diane

Re: furnature arrivingand billing problem!

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:39 pm

Hi - I'm far from an expert on this, but a couple of things occur to me:

1. Even if they charge you for 10,000 pounds, that's only 200 pounds more than your actual weight, so I really don't think the extra money is worth making a fuss about. Isn't it going to be less than $200? People have posted here before that sometimes there are certain minimum weights that people have to have in order to qualify for a certain level discount. Maybe the company didn't explain this completely clearly, but I don't think they are trying to cheat you.

2. You can't figure what your cost should be simply by pro-rating your cost according to the actual weight. In other words, if your original estimate was for example $13,000 for 14,000 pounds (I don't know what it actually was), you can't just multiply $13,000 by 9,800/14,000 or 10,000/14,000 to get your new cost. The reason is that the cost per pound goes up as the weight goes down.

Remember when they originally estimated that you had 12,000 pounds and quoted you a price of $11,200? And then I think you added some items and they gave you a new estimate of (I'm guessing) 14,000 pounds for around $13,000? Well you can see that the cost per pound went down slightly as the weight went up. In the same way, your cost per pound is going to be higher because you had a substantially lower weight than the estimate. I think the chances are that the company is charging you correctly.

However, I don't know anything about your right to see the breakdown of charges at the time of delivery. Hopefully one of the moverpros will step in here to comment.
Last edited by Diane on Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:52 pm

Diane,
you have a great memory! Yes I did get two different estimates one was 12000 lbs and the other was 14000. The transportation charges were almost identical on a per lb basis. For the 2000 lb difference the cost per lb was less than 0.007%, so that does not explain the 10% cost difference. The other charges are prorated on the weights so the fuel surcharge, delivery and pickup charges, IR surcharge and the insurance I bought were all based on weight or a percentage of the weight charge.
The packing was based on a per piece price for materials and labor so I don't see where the lower weight could effect the costs especially since the costs per item were identical on my two estimates just the number of boxes to be packed changed.

Thanks again for all your help.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:57 pm

OK - I am getting out of my depth, so maybe if you post your actual quote for 14,000 pounds here (including all of its components) it will help the experts see why your final bill is higher than expected.

Re: furniture arriving and billing problem!

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:13 am

OK here goes:

------------12000 lb estimate----14000 lb estimate----10000 actual (my guess)

trans-----------$6619-------------------$7671-------------------$5480
IR surcharge----265----------------------306----------------------219
fuel surcharge--794--------------------- 921----------------------658
origin fee--------184----------------------215----------------------153
dest fee--------- 117----------------------135------------------------96
insur. $0 ded----N/A----------------------609--------------------- 435

I did not have an insurance quote for the 12000 lb estimate

packing and boxes

12000 estim. - 117 boxes = $2028
14000 estim. - 157 boxes = $2934
10000 actual - 108 boxes = $2108

my calculation for the packing used the prices on my estimates, they were both the same.

I have nothing but a call telling me that the cost for my move is $10,100 so I can't provide any breakdown about how the company calculated the amount they are charging me.

It is going on 10 PM here in AZ and I will be getting up early to call them to try to understand. Hopefully someone can give me a little guidance so I am better prepared to talk to them.

Thanks again.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:01 am

OK, I tried to reformat it so it would be easier to read. Hopefully someone will come along who can interpret what's going on. Maybe "Rick" - he seems to be good with numbers and I think he works for UniGroup.

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:01 am

You need to get the acual charges for the 10,000 lbs. What you posted as your guess is incorrect and is off by $1,000.
Ruges

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:40 am

Can you explain what you posted, Ruges, since Pete is going to be talking to the moving company this morning?

dej64

Postby dej64 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:17 am

Without the zip codes, I can only assume that the origin was 060 (Hartford, CT area) and the destination was 850 (phoenix area). A standard 60% discount would generate these numbers.

Transportation $6210.00
Fuel Surcharge $ 807.30
IR Surcharge $ 248.40
Origin $ 170.40
Destination $ 108.40
FVP - 0ded. $ 380.00
Full Pack $1968.00

Bottom line $9892.50

By the tariff, everything seems to be in line price wise. The 200 lbs would not change these numbers hardly at all. I'm sure I do not know all the details, but the price does seem right. Hope this helps.
DEJ

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:21 am

Yes, Pete needs to post the actual charges. To see if anything is out of whack. The ones that pete posted are what he figures the charges tobe and not the actual charges. And without the actual charges, me or anyone else could not tell if it is correct.

Now you say the driver is delivering today. When he is finished he will have you sign a cost detail. On the cost detail it will list all the final charges. If he does not have one, demand one. If it is blank demand that it be filled out before you sign it. There might be 2 cost details too. One for the packing and one for the transportation.

No, you do not have to pay for the 10,000 pound minimum. You could demand that you pay for the acual weight of 9,800lbs. But like the company already said you are going tobe getting a better price if you go with the 10,000lbs then the 9,800lbs. Since there is a huge jump in the tarrif under 10,000lbs.
Ruges

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:25 am

Also, once you select a dollar figure to value your shipment at, that price does not fluctuate in relation to the weight.

You will get a final invoice from Mayflower after delivery. I wouldn't hold up the delivery over this. Your costs look to be accurate.

Furniture move and billing issue> Resolved thanks all!!!

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:07 pm

Good afternoon everyone.
I just got done with my delivery and it went very smoothly and almost flawless. The driver from United did a great job with loading and unloading.

I called the Fallon office this morning and after discussing the costs she agreed that she had overcharged me over $850 and the cost would be ~$9500. They said that they had already charged my credit card and that the difference would be refunded. They told me that they would send me a proper bill and the driver did not have one for me this morning, so I signed the bill of lading with the total amount in the box nothing else.

I hope this will not be a problem so I want to thank everyone for all the help and advice I have been given over the last two months as I planned my move.

If there is anything I can do to help anyone in the Phoenix area please let me know. My email is pnagy2003@aol.com.

Thanks again and I hope everyone has a great weekend while I unpack box after box :).

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:14 pm

You're welcome, Pete, although I don't think I personally helped very much, except with that tedious reformatting of your columns. I'm wondering how Fallon explained the apparent overcharge (?). This is a good example of how customers shouldn't hesitate to question the total charge if they think it's wrong. Mistakes can be made.

Return to “Open Community”