U-haul scam

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
moving scammed

U-haul scam

Postby moving scammed » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:45 am

If any U-haul employees previous or present could help me, I'd really appreciate it.

Did the usual things & now I'm stuck. I made a reservation, which no one would confirm. I got referred from my local place to the 1-800 number to the regional office, who tried making me call the local center again. Several transferred calls & several explanations with no results. I just read the message board on how u-haul does things & of course now I feel stupid, among anger, frustration & exhaustion after coordinating everything else for my move. I was supposed to get a call "5:00PM the previous day" I needed the truck with "exact location & time to pick up." Of course no call, so I call them, "wait until 7:00 & call back." Naturally they closed & left, they knew what they were doing passing me off.

Right now I have no truck & no one that will give me an answer. I know I'm just a voice on the phone, they don't care that I have all my stuff in boxes & spent a week gathering everyone to help me on a day I don't know I have a truck. I know it's too late to try another place, which is why I tried confirming before this "last minute we'll call you notification" scam & "I can't do anything, let me transfer you" speeches into the ground.

I just don't know what to do, help please. I know "next times," & "you should haves" but I'm here now stuck. What would you do NOW to get results NOW?

ulcer bound

Josh

Re: U-haul scam

Postby Josh » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:00 am

I haven't really heard any complaints like this before. It is usually poor equipment that is the topic.

This sounds unusual for U-Haul to have a confirmation for you, but not return your calls.

What day are you supposed to pick the truck up? If it were me, I would go to the local office to clarify this since you are having problems calling. I don't think they would "pass you off" on purpose, they do have a decent reputation.

I can't really tell how much time you have before you move, but hopefully you will get this resolved.

I also wouldn't classify this as a scam, let's see how things turn out before we start lashing!

Josh

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:27 am

Moving scammed,

I have heard the opposite of what Josh has said, but have "seen" exactly what usually happens with their equipment. My experience with customers selecting U-Haul has been there are more then not, times where the equipment they rented or reserved for a particular time wasnt in, never returned, or they just didnt have what you needed.

The three I generally recommend are Penske, Ryder and Budget. And generally I recommend them because their trucks are newer, maintained, and they havent been on Dateline.

Good luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Lester

Postby Lester » Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:09 pm

Michael wrote:Moving scammed,

I have heard the opposite of what Josh has said, but have "seen" exactly what usually happens with their equipment. My experience with customers selecting U-Haul has been there are more then not, times where the equipment they rented or reserved for a particular time wasnt in, never returned, or they just didnt have what you needed.

The three I generally recommend are Penske, Ryder and Budget. And generally I recommend them because their trucks are newer, maintained, and they havent been on Dateline.

Good luck,

Hi,

I've just made a reservation for a U-haul truck which I plan to drive from Fort Myers Florida to Helen Georgia (about 100 miles northeast of Atlanta. On the phone U-haul quoted me $748 for 716 miles. I think there is actually much more mileage. Are they trying to keep the estimate low and will later just tack on more for the extra miles? Is there something else I should be aware of? Thank you for any help. The rental is planned for the end of October.

Josh

Postby Josh » Fri Aug 08, 2003 7:57 pm

In case you haven't heard, U-Haul's parent company filed for bankruptcy protection about a month ago. There equipment usually isn't kept up to a good working condition.

Michael and myself normally suggest you call Ryder, Budget, or Penske. They have about the newest fleet of rental trucks.

You can go to http://www.mapquest.com to find out the mileage they come up with for your trip!

You have plenty of time to research this so I would keep looking!

Josh

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:10 pm

Lester,

With the rental companies it isnt an issue of being ripped off price wise or scammed for more money, that I am aware of, its more of a service and safety issue then anything else.

U-Haul claims their recent bankruptcy issues are due to a mistake made by their auditing company. Which may be true, who knows. But tell me, how does a company stay in business so long, renting their equipment out with the cheapest prices by far. They do it by not maintaining their equipment. By not changing tires, rotating tires, changing the oil, inspecting their equipment.

Like Josh said, Penske, Ryder and Budget have newer equipment. I have heard stories with budget and the equipment being available, but i think thats the biggest issue I have ever heard of with rentals. Not having the equipment there for when you scheduled it. The whole "Jerry Seinfeld" reservation episode.

Good luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Mark Gibbons

Postby Mark Gibbons » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:42 pm

Hi Well did you know there is a website for filing lawsuits against Uhaul.

I booked on line, got a call the day before my move told I could not have 24" truck but could have 15" and I could not have it for 24 hours. being the weekend of course finding another truck took well over 4 hours. Spoke to regional office where lady says she gets calls like this everyday. Manager is never available.

The big scam is the $5 booking fee non refundable they take from everyone even if you dont get a truck. so what they do is take as manyu bookings as possible they know they cant fulfil because there going to make at least $5 for each booking!!

Mark who is very pissed and would never recommend Uhaul, why did I not use Budget again!!?

TomH

Postby TomH » Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:10 am

Here's my U-Haul horror story. I had read about a similar experience, but I figured it was probably an isolated incident. Ha!!

I reserved a 24 ft truck a month prior to the move. I knew August is a busy month, so I figured I'd place it safe and get in early. They told me that by 5pm on August 15th, I would be called with the information on where to pick up the truck. The morning of the 15th we called just to confirm they hadn't forgotten about us. I was assured we would be notified by 5pm. At 4:30 pm, having still not heard from U-Haul, we called and we're told that they were behind and they were trying to find a truck. They would call us by 8pm. At 7:15 pm, we called and they said they were still looking and would get back to us by 8pm. 8pm came and went and we didn';t hear a thing. The office was closed.
Saturday, August 16th, the day of the move we called at 8 am and they still din't have a truck. Now I was worried. Our sale agreement stipulated that we needed to be out of the house on the 16th. Kinda of tough to do that without a truck. We called Penske and they said they would get back to us in a half hour. At 8:15 am U-Haul called us and said they had a 17 foot truck about 20 miles from our house. It was samller than we wanted but, a smaller truck was better than no truck. We said we'd go pick it up.
We got to the U-Haul facility and there was a couple in front of us who were having a problem of q botched reservation. Just as we were approaching the gentleman behind the counter, my wife's cell phone rang and it was Penske calling us with a 25 foot truck. We told Penske we'd take it. But I'd figured I'd still be a decent fellow and tell U-Haul to cancel my reservation. I went to the counter and gave him my reservation # and informed them that the office had said they had a 17 footer for us. He checked his computer and lo and behold, no information on my reservation and no 17 foot truck.
:evil: :evil: :evil:
All I can say is that Penske treated us wonderfully.They were professional, very helpful, and the truck was in excellent condition.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:18 am

Penske is rated #1 in the "Moving Companies" category on the consumer-oriented website www.epinions.com. There are several reviews on epinions describing situations similar to Tom's.

See also, on this website, a posting by a U-Haul employee at http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... highlight=

u-haul basher

Postby u-haul basher » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:50 pm

I have been working for u-haul for 6months now. I have read several sites that bash u-haul, their equpment, employees, reservations, so on and so forth.

The sad truth is all of this is correct! Not only does u-haul treat their customers badly, they also treat their employees badly.

The trucks and trailers are not safe. my training for a (customer service rep) consited of a book that was 20 pages long, told me how to know if something was wrong and how to tell someone else to fix it. there is a hotline we have to call if a belt breaks or there is a crack in a hose. Funny thing is.... im told by this hotline that they will have the shop (which is the only one in the area for about 200 u-hauls.) send me the hose, and then i can refer to a book, (that is no-where to be found, the manager whom gets paid $1 more then minum wage, has no clue, where it is) on the technique to fix it. Untill then i can send it out on a rental because it is not a safty issue!
The manager uses a hole puncher to punch off my acomplishment and then im suddenly SAFTY CERTIFIED even thou i have not been taught anthing other then to make it someone elses problem.

By the way this is a 1 week course that my uneducated manager tells me will teach me everything about how to do my job properly.

I am not allowed to answer the phone within my frist 3 days of training, however on the 2nd day i am running u-haul also storage all by myself....with no knowladge.

Im told by my manager that i am to book every reservation wether we have the equpment or not.
I am told to say "we do not gaurentee time or location"

Then the magical question comes!

What does that mean?

I am told to follow my form and not let the customer ask questions, only get their creditcard, and there resevation.

Im required to give the customer my name at the begining of the call....so now you know who i am.

The unhappy customer then comes down to the store where i am located and thregtens my life, i go thru this at least once a day everyday that i am at work.

This scares me because im told that even thou i am not management im required to do what my boss asks of me even if it is not part of my job discrption. (customer service rep)s This means that someday when im opening or closing the store (because my underpaid manager needs the day off, and im required to work when he schudles me) one of these angry customers ( i cant blame them) my actuly act on one of there thergts and take my life.

not to mention that we get paid minumum wage, are not allowed full time employment we do not get breaks or time off many we do not get holiday pay even if we are required to work a holiday.u-hauls are understaffed, uneducated, and have no knowadge of trucks, trailers, or rentals, at all and yet the only reqirement for employment is a drivers licence. (with the excption of management that are required to work and cover all hours , are hourly paid, and dont get compensated for work over 60hrs a week, and can do and say just about anything and not be held accoutable.)

when a customer comes in to pick up a truck and i have to tell them sorry it is not my job to find your truck, its not my fault your reservation was charged to your card when you canceld it, when i have to tell them that i have a truck for you but, the gas gauge dosent work and your traveling 1000 miles, when they come in and we do have the truck , and the reservation is good, we need more information from you another creditcard before we can rent this truck or you have to leave your car on the lot...or so on and so forth...i could go on and on.

it is frustrating to me, as well as you because every customer coplaint that i have seen on this site or others have been correct!

u-haul is the worst company to rent a truck from, the worst company to work for, and if you have heard the news, u-haul has filed chapter 11 and it was not because of an error, it is because they suck....they suck .....they suck!

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:11 am

amen brother. i work for them too and everything you say hits the nail on the head.

Josh

Postby Josh » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:02 pm

Here is an interesting site about U-Haul and their practices:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rockisle/files/uhaul.htm

More to come!

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:00 pm

U-Haul's equipment is OLD. My best friend and I moved from NY to DC about 12 years ago, and the local UHaul office had to move about 20 trucks out of the way to get to the one in the very back of the garage -- the only one that was "reliable enough" to make the long distance move.

I knew someone who used Uhaul to move about 5 miles, and the truck broke down -- after they loaded it.

As Michael suggested, Ryder, Penske... both use much newer and more reliable equipment.

Michael wrote:Moving scammed,

Good luck,

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:24 pm

It has been recommended that alternate arrangements be made when considering a rental truck....

Tyrone, we know you don't have anything bad to say about U-haul, but those of us who have either used, or seen U-haul in action would disagree.

I live 4 blocks from a U-haul franchisee, who happens to be of mid east descent, running a hardware store.

The trucks they rent out are probably 1970 - 1980 models... None of the equipment that I have seen at their place would I trust to go across town, much less cross country.

One would think a company with their volume and resources would have better equipment.

The reason Ryder and Budget are most mentioned is just for the fact that they are more professionally run, and have reliable and safe equipment.

I have always been able to rent from them on short notice, and I am talking 24'-26' diesel bobtails. I usually go with Budget, because when I ran a package delivery company, I entered a contract with the local office, and years later they still treat me as if I were their only customer.

I'm not saying that there are probably some franchises that do offer modern, safe equipment, but I would imagine they are in the minority, and I doubt that U-haul has any type of requirement (obviously) that equipment be less than 10 yrs old.

Lee

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:11 pm

Lee said:

Tyrone, we know you don't have anything bad to say about U-haul

Lee that is a straight up LIE and you know it.

I have recommended that U-Haul be used as a last resort if you cannot get a reservation at one ofl the other self-drive companies first.

However, even as a last resort self-drive it is still 1 million times BETTER than hiring a so-called professional mover. Let me also say that given the current laws I would NEVER, EVER recommend anybody to hire a professional mover unless they are physically incapable of performing the move themselves.

U-Haul certainly has its problems and is FAR from an optimum choice; nonetheless, hiring a professional moving company is a MUCH worse choice. I will take U-Haul 100 times out of 100 over a professional moving company. The worst that could happen with UHaul is waaaaay preferable to the worst that could happen with a moving company.

Let me put it this way: I would rather be hit HARD with a pillow than shot "gently".

Return to “Report A Scam”