my moving blog NYC to LA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
byebyenyc

my moving blog NYC to LA

Postby byebyenyc » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:51 pm

I've been consulting movingscam.com for all my research needs and thought I'd list some of the experiences I've had so far for future movers. I had an in-home estimate with Moishe's, Nassau World Wide Movers (United), Moving Man (Wheaton) and Dahill (Mayflower). My experience with Moishe's was probably the worst one - the estimator was in and out (after being 10 min. late during an hour window period) and not very thorough. Their binding estimate was the highest, and their delivery dates were ridiculous. The rep from Moving Man was thorough, but insisted that we needed to pack everything our self (whereas the Nassau and Dahill reps said they would handle stuff like microwaves, turntables, etc.) and pressured me to sign something. I told him I wasn't comfortable doing that, and he made a snide remark. Nassau and Dahill's reps were the best - very professional, friendly and curteous. Their estimates came very close to one another, but I think I'm going with Dahill because they were willing to do a binding estimate, which Nassau wasn't. Also, their deivery dates were reasonable.

I cancelled with the other companies whose estimates I had set up for this week because I wanted to lock down my move date ASAP. I called Meyers, American Red Ball, and University Van Lines - all were fine except for American Red Ball - the man I spoke with asked why we were cancelling, and when I said we went with a different company, he bruskly hung up while muttering "good-bye."

We'll see how it goes - will keep you all posted on my move from NYC to LA with Dahill.

Diane

Re: my moving blog NYC to LA

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:15 pm

This is a great report. I don't know whether you know it, but we have another moving blog by someone who moved the opposite direction, from CA to NYC - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4146 Unfortunately she never made a final post about her mover, which kind of left us hanging, but you still might find it interesting reading.

A few comments and questions, since I'm especially interested in the NY metro area and have an Epinions article on it (linked to below) that I'm planning to revise.
byebyenyc wrote:[Moishe's] binding estimate was the highest, and their delivery dates were ridiculous.

This sort of confirms what I think about using Moishe's for long-distance moves--that it's unwise because they probably hold the goods until they have enough to fill a semi-trailer, since they're an independent company not associated with a van line. Also, they usually ask for a 50% deposit--I don't know whether they did that with you.
The rep from Moving Man . . . pressured me to sign something. I told him I wasn't comfortable doing that, and he made a snide remark.

Out of curiosity, who was it and what was the snide remark? You can just give the initials if you don't want to give the full name.
Nassau and Dahill's reps were the best - very professional, friendly and curteous. Their estimates came very close to one another, but I think I'm going with Dahill because they were willing to do a binding estimate, which Nassau wasn't.

Who were the estimators for Nassau and Dahill, just so I can keep track?
. . . all were fine except for American Red Ball . . .

Which American Red Ball company was this? There are several in the NY metro area.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”