Do not hire Ben Hur

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
Susan from Manhattan

Do not hire Ben Hur

Postby Susan from Manhattan » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:38 pm

I hired Ben Hur to move my belongings from NY, NY to Santa Fe, NM in Sept. 2004. The salesman was charming and he lied when he said that the supplemental insurance was underwritten by Baker International, a very reputable firm. According to Baker, they have never worked with Ben Hur.

My shipment was 4 weeks late -- BenHur waited to transport my goods until their truck was full but they never communicated the delay to me. Instead, they hung up on me when I called, avoided my calls, wouldn't return messages. As a result of the delay and their unwillingness to communicate with me, I incurred over $2,000 in expenses (rent, furniture rental, eating out, basic necessities, etc). In addition, the movers did not pack my TV at all and it arrived smashed.

It took over a year for me to get any kind of decent settlement from BenHur. Their first offer was for $27.50. Now that I have signed a release form, Ben Hur is not sending me my check. And last but not least, I have discovered that Ben Hur does not work with any insurance firm. They say that they are self -insured but I think that this may be insurance fraud. I am looking into this with the Dept. of Insurance (NY).

I have worked with BBB, the Dept of Transportation, and my credit card company to apply leverage...all to no avail. Dealing with Ben Hur has been one of the most frustrating and infuriating experiences of my life!

Diane

Re: Do not hire Ben Hur

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:32 pm

Susan, I really hope that you can clarify this thing about the insurance supposedly provided by Baker International. For a long time I have been puzzled by people reporting that dubious companies told them they could purchase insurance from Baker to supplement the basic coverage of 60 cents/pound provided by the companies themselves. For example, someone reported this about Oz Movers in NYC - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3922

I haven't understood why Baker, a reputable firm, would get involved with such dubious companies, or how it could pay out all that money in claims when the companies destroy stuff. Now it appears from what you say that this claim of a connection with the reputable Baker International is fraudulent. Please do keep us posted on this.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:41 pm

It's simple really... scammers lie and say they have a relationship with Baker when in fact they do not... they simply pocket whatever "insurance premiums" they can trick the customer into paying.

Same way they lie and put nonexistent (photoshopped) trucks and fake celebrity endorsements on their web sites...
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:45 pm

You could be right that the whole thing is simply a fabrication, but I think we should call Baker about Oz and some of these other companies so we can be absolutely sure what's happening. Someone in Northern CA said that All My Sons gave her a booklet and told her to call for coverage above 60 cents/pound, for example. It could be that there's another company named "Baker" involved.

Return to “Report A Scam”