Re: PLEASE Help: Move to South Africa from NY

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Kaf

Postby Kaf » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:18 pm

Hi hardatwork,

thanks for all the info, that you have here it has been helpful and now am very wary of these companies.

Perhaps you can assist me as wait for Koring who posted here yestarday to give some info about who he used on his move to South Africa from the US.
I have recieved qoutations from various companies and all them vary and am wondering what the deal is and whether I am being scammed by any. I will be moving a 20 Ft. Container to Pretoria -South Africa with household goods and personal effects- no car and I am requesting a door to door service
I want to arrange with about 3 of the companies to do an in house estimate- not yet done. Omega will be coming tomorrow

Omega Shipping has given me about 5500
Ranieros -6800
AirSeaLand - 6600
Worldwide shipping consultants : 6000( who are they?)

I am still waiting for a qoute from Sterling and Stevens.
is there a catch with Omega shipping? are they a good company to use.
someone with any experince with shipping with any of these esp. to South Africa kindly give me some tips-help.
I need to move in 4 weeks and be in SA to start work.
All the help is highly highly appreciated as this is the first time that i am doing this kind of move.

Kaf

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:57 pm

Could the second company you listed be Ranier, not Ranieros? Or is the "os" really there? And can you tell me what contact info (phone, email, website, etc) you have for Worldwide Shipping Consultants, since I can't find ANYTHING using that name?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:29 am

MM, www.raineros.com is the website and I think it stands for Rainier Overseas. In my opinion, Kaf should stick with one of the four companies listed on our sticky at the top of the International Moving Forum. Rainier is one of them.

Kaf

Postby Kaf » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:55 am

thanks MusicMom and Diane.....

Worldwide shippers contact is Tel: 800 324 2640
516 596 1759 fax 516 596 1730
http://www.vongoins.com/worldshipping.html

It looks a bit tooo shaddy for me and am not trusting it. Omega is other one..... they are a Mayflower agent or part of Mayflower which is supposed to be a good thimg?? what do you say??
As Diane says i think Ranier is the same as Ranieros.. and I have spoken to DOug and he has given me a qoute.
Any help is much appreciated!!!!!

Kind regards
Kaf

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:01 am

I agree with you about All Shippers Consultants. Their website, www.allshippersconsultants.com is not even really functioning yet, all information is "coming soon". Which means too new to have a good reputation. They are based in NY, and the website is registered to:

All Shippers Consultants
Mardy Dersookias
120 Charles Street
Lynbrook, NY 11563
Phone: +1.5165937641

Their email is an AOL account, not even through their website. :P

Can you verify Omega's phone number, so I can know (for my own addled brain) if theya re a Mayflower agent or not? I swear there was a bad mover somewhere with Omega in the name. So many to keep track of!

Ranier is an OK company. They are one of the ones included in the list int he Sticky, with links to the good reviews.
Last edited by MusicMom on Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SafeMover

Postby SafeMover » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:15 pm

MusicMom, are you sure that you know Omega Shipping? I live in New York City and see their Mayflower trucks all over the city. They handled my move from London earlier this year and I can say that I was most satisfied. I, too, did some research and received estimates from Meyers and Allied. The Omega representative was not only courteous and provided the best estimate, but also stopped by to check on how the move was going.

This site is very helpful for international families who move frequently, but it seems that you are providing incorrect information. I highly recommend them and will certainly use them in the future.

Thank you.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:40 pm

It is entirely possible I am misremembering. I'll edit the above to remove the offending statement unless I can figure out which Omega I am thinking of.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:45 pm

OK, SafeMover, I know what threw me off. There's an Omega Shipping based in Florida (used to be Atlantis Moving) that has complaints. I apologize to anyone who thought bad of Omega Shipping of NYC because of what I said.

Of course, this is assuming Kaf is indeed dealing with teh one in NYC.

Kaf

Postby Kaf » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:02 am

yes am dealing with the one in NYC... and I had a good experience when I had an in house estimate done.- very straight forward n the charges, what to expect, etc. and the prices are not astronomical like the other companies I will be going with them and am sure all will be well

Thanks again for all your help....
Kaf

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:11 am

Please do come back and report to us about your move as it proceeds, Kaf. We may want to add Omega to our recommended list.

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:05 pm

I moved all our apartment belongings from Dallas to Pretoria in May 2005 with Rainier overseas movers (contact Doug Wiviott - Toll free phone 1-800-426-9928 ext. 220). I had contacted several movers prior to our move and luckily came across this forum. After reading on the various movers, I finally decided to go with Doug though he was just slightly more expensive than a few of the other quotes I'd gotten.

But now that I am through with the move, all I can say is close your eyes and go with Doug. I had read about several horror stories and deep inside had a bad feeling that something was bound to go wrong somewhere. None of that! The local packers/movers did an excellent job, my wife was there with them all the time and she says nothing was done in haste, each cup was individually wrapped carefully. There were 2 men and one lady who did the packing/loading and the 20ft container was sealed infront of us on May 27, 2005. It was delivered to our house in Pretoria on August 02, 2005, about 65 days. All the while I would get status emails from Doug on estimated times of departure from port (Houston) and arrival (Durban). It took long because it had to go through Amsterdam (hub I guess).

But the delivery was also excellent. My wife got a call a week before delivery on when to expect it. Then a reminder call the day before and finally on the day of delivery, everything was carefully unloaded and unpacked. Infact our king-size bed needed some special tools to re-assemble which one of the assistants got from his local office. My wife says that all the while they were extremely polite.

When she called and narrated the whole thing to me, I was so glad I had decided to go with Doug. I thought I should share my experience just incase it helps anyone, the same way I got my cues from this forum. Oh and I did not take any extra insurance, I think I paid only $200 for insurnace. My total move cost came to $6400. Unfortunately this jumped from $5500 within 2 weeks of Doug's original quote while I as still deciding. He says his local mover in South Africa had changed and the quote was based on the current mover's rate.

If anyone has any questions, please ask. Thanks,

Jawad (Dallas, TX)
jwdkhan (at) yahoo.com

Rainier is not telling al

Postby Rainier is not telling al » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:25 pm

Rainier will hide the destination charges, they will not say to theirs clients what to expect on the other end. That is a kind of scam, get the business at a lower rate then not mention what a client will face on the other side. At least european movers are giving the complete breakdown of the charges.

What also bugs me is that this forum would favorite some specifique movers and criticise others, who is running this site??

Reader

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:44 pm

Dear anonymous "Reader",

My name is Tim Walker and I have run this site for nearly four years. While MovingScam.com does not, and has never claimed to specialize in international moves, I disagree with your claims about Rainier's service.

The destination charges that you speak about are from stefanv03's post (located here). If you read the positive review a little more closely you'll note that Doug from Rainier did explain the destination charges, however, since they were required to be in the foreign country's currency Rainier did not bill the customer for those charges.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:21 pm

Tim, I think that the French spelling of "specific" and the posting from Buenos Aires both point to our old friend Jack Monier of Internic as the anonymous author of the posts attacking Rainier.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:37 pm

I always think it's funny when someone wants to call me out but sits there behind their keyboard and wont be honest about who they are. I'm supposed to take them seriously? I think not. Some people are just unable to behave like a responsible adult. :roll:

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Return to “International Moves”