Gsell Moving and Storage - Mount Holly, NJ

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
palidor42

Gsell Moving and Storage - Mount Holly, NJ

Postby palidor42 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:51 pm

Anyone know anything about these guys? (I posted another thread earlier that I'm going to be doing a local move from South Jersey to Philadelphia.)

They've been in business since the Depression, check out with the BBB (they're a member, but still), are affiliated with Bekins, came to my house to do an estimate, appeared to be legitimate when I drove by their headquarters, are in good standing with the NJ Warehousemen and Movers Association...but I can't find them on safersys.com. I called there to ask for a DOT license number but they had no idea what I was talking about...they said they're licensed in NJ, and that's the only license number they're giving me.

Is this a red flag? Or would the DOT license number be under the Bekins umbrella?

Rick

Re: Gsell Moving and Storage - Mount Holly, NJ

Postby Rick » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:18 am

Gsell is not an interstate carrier so you shouldn't expect to find any information in SAFER. They do offer interstate household goods moving services through their agency affiliation with Bekins.

Until his death several years ago, the owner was very active in the both the New Jersey Warehousemen & Movers Association and the American Moving and Storage Association. They've long been supporters of youth sports activities in the community. Several years ago Mike helped me to arrange expedited transportation for an iron lung for young patient in Central New Jersey.

weem

Postby weem » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:31 am

They are not scamers and run a respectable business.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:38 am

Thanks, Rick and weem - I was hoping you two would step in with a comment about them.

palidor42

Postby palidor42 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:38 pm

Thanks, guys. This has turned out to be a very useful site!

I'm probably going to book Gsell, and I'll post again to tell everyone how it went.

palidor42

Postby palidor42 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:52 pm

As expected by the response on this forum, my experience with Gsell was pretty good.

Charged $101/hr, minimum of 4 hours plus 1 hour travel time for a total of $505. The movers did a good job and got everything to the new place in one piece, handling the climb to the 3d floor of my apartment building with minimal complaint. It actually took less than five hours, but that didn't bother me as I was able to use that time to get some important errands done. I paid exactly the estimate and nothing more (aside from a generous tip for the movers.)

As the other posters said: reputable business, not a scam.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:09 pm

Thanks for this report. I assume the hourly rate was for 3 guys.

palidor42

Postby palidor42 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:34 pm

No...there were 2. They never claimed any differently, and I don't see how a third man would have really done things better.

Return to “Open Community”