Update on NYC to CO estimates - going with Dahill

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
kpark

Update on NYC to CO estimates - going with Dahill

Postby kpark » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:41 am

So I have gotten a total of five estimates. White Glove/Mr. Move was one of the companies but based on info from this site, I eliminated them.

Here it goes:

Approved North American-
Weight: 3000 lbs
Cost: $3,094 (binding)
Discount: 64%

Price includes insurance and shuttle cost. Mike (the estimator) would not give me a GNTE estimate because I packed myself. He also did not give me the "rights" manual. He took his time and answered my questions.

Moving Man-
Weight: 2800 lbs
Cost: $3114 (binding)
Discount: 59%

Price includes insurance and shuttle. Kal took his time and answered all my questions. He brought along good information as well as the manual. However, he would not give me a GNTE estimate (again, because I packed it myself) and he said he would require a $200 deposit. He said he knew it was illegal to ask for the deposit, but he said he needed it to ensure the moving date slot.

Dahill Moving and Storage-
Weight: 3250 lbs
Cost: $3078
Discount: 64%

Price includes shuttle and insurance. Christopher Blank was amazing. He was incredibly thorough, gave me packing tips, and was willing to offer a GNTE estimate. I can also witness the weighing in CO. By far, he provided the most information and made me feel the most comfortable.

U. Santini-

Dan, the estimator, although very nice, seemed to rush through the process, spending maybe a total of 10 minutes in my apartment, and did not bring complete information about the company. He's supposed to be sending a written estimate today but at this point, based on the in-home estimate, they are out of the running.

Based on the above, I'm probably gonna go with Dahill. Has anyone had experience with them? Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Diane

Re: Update on NYC to CO estimates

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:35 am

Hi again. This is your previous post, for background - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5759 Just as a point of information, are you sure that Moving Man provided a Binding estimate? Previous posters have said that they provide only Nonbinding estimates. Also, I think the $200 deposit is standard to ensure that people will stick with Moving Man on moving day (it's expensive to send out workers and a truck). I don't believe that it's actually illegal.

There are some good threads on Dahill -

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5522 (this person is going to use them for a move from NYC to Chicago and actually visited Dahill's warehouse; he also was very impressed with Chris Blank)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4957 (a report of a good recent move with Dahill)
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

kpark

Re: Update on NYC to CO estimates - going with Dahill

Postby kpark » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:50 am

Sorry- both Approved and Moving Man were non-binding.

Return to “Open Community”