Inter-state move from Chicago.

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
somya

Inter-state move from Chicago.

Postby somya » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:14 pm

After reading the posts on this board, I eliminated many of the companies I found through internet, who seemed to have bad ratings with bbb.org or who were giving volume based quotes.

I am getting in-house estimates from following three choices (have gone thru their recs at safersys and bbb.

1. Moishes of Chicag
2. All My Sons (Chicago) - Haven't heard many good things about All My Sons on this board. But I was wondering if there are specific experiences with their Chicago branch.
3. Armstrong Relocations (United Vans).

Again, any personal experiences with these companies, esp Chicago operations... would be great.

Thanks!

p.s: Kudos to those who have started this board and who provide valuable information.

Diane

Re: Inter-state move from Chicago.

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:20 pm

Here is a recent thread started by someone who was considering four reputable moving companies in Chicago, including Armstrong - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5674 It has a lot of information that may help you. Other United agents that have good reviews and comments here are All Chicagoland and Planes.

Personally I would not use Moishe's or All My Sons for an interstate move. I believe that you have better choices. If cost is a concern, I suggest that you use a freight company (ABF or Broadway Express) or move yourself in a rental van.

somya

Postby somya » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:21 am

Thanks Diane.

I forgot to mention that it is a small-medium move... about 2500 lbs. Still, there are big furniture items so I do not want to use BE or other load-unload yourself type services.

Because of the move-size, many other established movers were not interested.

Moishe's seemed to have good comments from some of the users....

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:35 am

Thanks for the additional information. Where are you moving to?

somya

Postby somya » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:50 pm

I am moving to MA.

I wonder if the recent hike in gas prices will affect the costs...

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:03 pm

Moving companies add a fuel surcharge based on fuel prices that change every month, so chances are that the cost WILL go up somewhat.

Most companies have minimums that are below 2500 pounds at this time of year, so I don't think the size of your load should turn them off. Be aware that you may have to use a shuttle if you're in central Chicago.

You could call Ms. Patricia McLaughlin, Executive Director of the Illinois Movers' and Warehousemen's Association, phone 217-585-2470 or 888-791-2516, to ask for suggestions about good full-service companies. I know that she often recommends using a broker called Betsy's Trans-Pack to advise about small moves like yours. Do a search on this website under Betsy for contact information. This would give you other options to consider besides Moishe's. I do not consider Moishe's a scammer, but I think you could see some unanticipated charges based on how its affiliate NorthStar Moving in Northridge, CA, operates.

somya

Postby somya » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:36 pm

Thanks Diane.

All My Sons will be likely be ruled out, since they are asking for 10% deposit. And that is perhaps not a good practice.

Armstrong United and Moishes both seemed more professional during the in-house estimate. Of them, Moishes is more cost-effective, plus they are offering binding, not to exceed rate. They will be using a shuttle (no extra cost) though. Is there something to look out for when using shuttle?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:55 pm

No - a shuttle is a shuttle. As I said, I am a little worried that Moishe's will try to jack the price up somehow. Did they ask for a deposit?

I would be interested in the details of your two quotes from Armstrong and Moishe's if you would like to post them.

somya

Postby somya » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:17 pm

No, Moishe's haven't asked for the deposit. In fact, they advised me not to go for movers who ask for deposits.

Here are the two quotes:

Armstrong United:
Est weight: 2226 lbs
Charges: 1857 (includes $220 weekend move charge, 14% fuel surcharge and 4% IRR surcharge)

Moishe's:
Est weight: 2300 lbs
Charges: 1577 (includes 13% fuel surcharge)

I guess the major difference between the two quotes is additional $220 for Armstrong, for weekend move. And that Moishe's is a binding-not-to-exceed rate.

Thanks for your help.

somya

Postby somya » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:22 am

I thought I would provide the feedback on moving with Moishe's...

Overall, it was alright. I would say 8/10.

On the moving day, they arrived a little late. Apart from that, loading, packing etc went alright. They charged half the amount as previously agreed.

For delivery, they changed the date once. Arrived on time. Nothing was broken or missing. A couple of dining chairs with slipcovers were a little soaked and had some color from blankets (it was raining and they only had blanket covers on, not the shrink wrap like sofa). Thankfully, it was only inexpensive slipcover... nothing major. They un-loaded, assembled and cleaned all the mess before they went.

Couple of things bothered me. They insisted I paid the rest of the money, before they actually brought the furniture in.... insisting that this was the norm in long-distance move. Is that true? I was charged the amount as previously agreed upon. No surprises there.

Second thing was that they did not give me weight tickets. When I asked for the actual weight vs the estimate on agreement, the guy showed me some papers of which I could not make much sense. I could not understand his accent/english when he tried to explain. I was too tired anyway... so I just let it go.

Well, overall... considering some of the horror stories one hears... it wasn't too bad. I am happy I didn't lose anything, unlike a friend of mine whose move to Florida (with some other movers) cost her a missing box containing several pairs of her favorite shoes.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:05 pm

Thanks for this review--very believable and one of the few that we have of Moishe's that we can trust.

Yes, it's normal on long-distance moves to have to pay the full cost of the move before anything is unloaded. Rain damage while unloading could also happen. Some moving companies shrink-wrap upholstered furniture but many just put cloth pads around them with no shrink-wrap on top, and there's nothing wrong with that.

The only thing that seems irregular is the lack of weight tickets. It could be that the truck was not weighed, which (depending on the tariff Moishe's uses) could be illegal.

andrea77

Postby andrea77 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:22 pm

FYI, I used Moishe's as well, and asked to see the weight - it was written on the contract/paper that I signed releasing my items back to me, but not on anything separate that I saw. The stuff actually weighed 50 lbs less than expected, and the decreased price reflected that (by like $30, but still), so I'll just assume that they really did weigh it. Somya, glad your move went well, too, I'd certainly agree with your assessment of 8/10, that's about how mine went.

Return to “Open Community”