**Advantage Movers in Connecticut

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
JNickell22

**Advantage Movers in Connecticut

Postby JNickell22 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:30 am

We considering hiring a moving company for an intrastate move in Connecticut. I tried to look for this company using the search function on this site and I didn't see them.

Advantage Movers is the name of the company.

They have 2 locations, one in Thomaston and one in New Britian. Their number is 860-283-2886. They say they have been in business for 3 years at one location and 7 years at the other. I have asked for a written estimate which they indicate they will fax to me this afternoon. They said they don't contract or sub-contract out any of the work.

If you have any experience with or knowledge of this company please let reply.

Thanks.
Jeff

MusicMom

Re: Advantage Movers in Connecticut

Postby MusicMom » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:55 pm

I can't find much on them. There's no BBB report, and not many ads.

I would suggest asking some local real estate agents which movers have served their custoemrs well. If you hear the same name a couple times, ask that mover for an in-home estimate. Do not use any mover that will not come to your house for the estimate. Phone quotes are not reliable.

LADY IN RED

Postby LADY IN RED » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:16 am

I recently used Advantage moving and was scammed for 2 grand, I have not been able to get in touch with the owner Greg , he never returned any of my phone calls regarding damaged items.
HE QUOTED: 3 MEN, A TRUCK for 4 .5 rooms , 5 HRS TIME for $500.It took 2 DAYS, 10 HRS, AND 4 MEN. I WAS DOUBLE CHARGED FOR GAS TO MOVE LESS THEN A MILE TO MY NEW LOCATION, MY DESK WAS DESTROYED IN THE MOVE AND GREG REFUSED TO COMPENSATE ME FOR DAMAGES AND HE CLAIMS HE IS INSURED .I WAS CHARGED $200 IN GAS, WHICH WAS NOT USED, WAS MIS-QUOTED ON THE PRICE,( HE NEVER CAME OUT OUT TO LOOK AT THE JOB TO BE DONE), NO CONTRACT WAS GIVEN TO ME THE DAY OF THE MOVE AS PROMISED, AND THE EQUIPMENT THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE USED FOR MY MOVE WAS SENT TO SC ON ANOTHER MOVE SO THEY CAME WITH 1 REFRIDERGATOR DOLLIE TO USE AND I HAD NO REFRIDERATOR TO MOIVE. I HAD TO USE MY OWN HAND TRUCK.
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CONTACT GREG SINCE JULY 4TH BUT HE FAILS TO RESPOND NOT ONLY TO ME, BUT TO THE BBB AND THE AG OFFICE. I WILL BE PERSUING LEGAL ACTION AGAINST HIM. I THINK THIS COMPANY IS A FRAUD AND SCAM PEOPLE BY THELLING THEM THEY WILL DO THE MOVE FOR LESS AND ONCE YOU HAVE A VERBAL AGREEMENT WITH THEM THEY TACK ON ADDITIONAL CHARGES AND TIME. a $500
JOB TURNED INTO A $2000 JOB AND A 2 DAY ORDEAL. ALL MY STUFF WAS PACKED AND READY TO GO ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS MOVE IT
1/2 OF A MILE INTO MY NEW LOCATION. AT THE END OF THE FIRST DAY THEY TOLD ME THEY COULDN'T FINISH THE MOVE AND WOULD HAVE TO COME BACK THE NEXT DAY FOR ADDITIONAL 5 HRS, AND DREW UP ANEW BILL WITH NEW CHARGES FOR GAS.

berticus74

Postby berticus74 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:29 am

DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE. They have an "Unsatisfactory" rating with the Better Business Bureau.

I hired them to move my 3 bedroom house about an hour away and even pack my house for me. They quoted me 6 hours at $93 per hour PLUS 1 hour for travel time. That's about $700. I figured $1000 would suffice.

After 2 hours of them packing I asked for an estrimate so I could leave cash for them at my new apartment. he said it was going to be around $1600. WHAT!?

I didn't have the money for that. i had tpo borrow money from a friend to have my stuff out of a hostage situation.

They moved the stuff to my new apartment and now the couch is damaged and I have missing pieces to my bed frame making it useless.

They refuse to answer the phone when I call nor return my phone calls.
-bert

johncdozier

Postby johncdozier » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:29 am

My wife and I recently hired Advantage Movers in CT to move from our apartment to our new house. All in all it wasnt the worst it could have been but it wasnt the best either. We didnt have any expereinces with the nightmares you hear about companies keeping your stuff until you pay them some outrageous sum - which is a good thing. On the other hand the 3 guys who moved our stuff were neither the quickest nor most careful. It took them a total of 5.25 hours which is more than I was expecting or hoping for. As my wife and I began unpacking more of our stuff, we noticed more and more scratches on our furniture. Some of the chair seat covers my wife had just refinished have large scuff marks on the leading edges and will probably have to be replaced. The antique dining room table was never covered up and now has some scratches on it. In the end I am not saying to not use this company, I am just saying to be EXTRA careful with anything you value.

NYCMover

Re: **Advantage Movers in Connecticut

Postby NYCMover » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:07 pm

The Connecticut BBB report on this company can be found under the name "Advantage Movers." Their report states that they received 24 complaints about this company within the past 36 months and of the 24, 9 still remain unresolved. The CT BBB rated this company "F" which is their lowest rating, and does not indicate a positiive performer.

The website link for this company is www.CT-Movers.com and while they do not make any claim to be an interstate mover (which would explain why they cannot be found on www.protectyourmove.gov , they do claim to have a US DOT License, #1290165. An attempted FMCSA database search on that US DOT# showed only that there was an "inactive" record on file. So, whereas they seem to be offering themselves up only as a local CT moving and storage company, for some reason their website shows an inactive US DOT#. Maybe they want to add an extra bit of legitimacy to the company, thinking no one will check on the validity of what the website says? If they had interstate authority at one time and then dropped out of the long distance arena, they should not display an invalid US DOT# on their website, hinting at having a license that they do not.

Also I find it odd that your post states that their 2 offices are in Thomaston and New Britain, while their own website says they are in Plainville and Bristol. The CT BBB report also reports their office to be in Plainville, CT. ??? :?

Return to “Open Community”