Need a reputable mover from California to Texas - Help!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Need a reputable mover from California to Texas - Help!

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:04 pm

Hi guys,

We are moving in mid december from Santa Cruz in NorCal to College Station in Texas. The move will be paid by my new employer, and my wife will then be 8 months pregnant. So as much as BE sound like a great option, I would rather have some pro carry the load and take care of everything (except the packing) as my employer will pay the bill.

So what are the reputable movers in my area? I've got so far two quotesn (Allied Van Line and Mayflower agents), but each time I do a search I find negative feedback on all of my current choices. Are there any reputable movers in my area, and who could help me pick on? Of course, my budget is not infinite, but I do have a small appartment with few things and some money to pay....

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Cédric

P.S.: still waiting for my confirmation email, I will hopefully be able to respond to this thread not as a "guest" anymore...

Nancy

Re: Need a reputable mover from California to Texas - Help!

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:48 pm

Since you are moving from California, I suggest you contact the California Moving & Storage Association for some local recommendations. www.thecmsa.org

Get 2 to 3 in home quotes, and then come back to here with the estimate results.

You mentioned that there was negative feedback here on both Allied & Mayflower. While that is true, the issues are usually along the lines of service failures or damage. They are not the horrible bait & switch scam stories that you get with internet based movers. You want to find a local company with a warehouse and facility right near your home that you can go and visit. Stop by unannounced to buy some boxes and check out the office staff and trucks in the lot.

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:01 pm

hi Nancy,

Thanks for the tip! I will do that and get back with the results later! This site is awesome!

Cedric

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:01 pm

also, does your employer have any contracts with movers? Will this be a direct invoice to them, or a reimbursed expense to you? Often, employees being relocated are treated quite well by movers. They certainly see the potential for more business from the account. If your employer has done this with any other movers, you may want to start with that company.

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:07 pm

Nancy wrote:also, does your employer have any contracts with movers? Will this be a direct invoice to them, or a reimbursed expense to you? Often, employees being relocated are treated quite well by movers. They certainly see the potential for more business from the account. If your employer has done this with any other movers, you may want to start with that company.

Here is something I hadn't consider before. I have two option in my contract: either find my own mover and get reimbursed, or let my new employer find the mover and pay up front. Your message seem to suggest that the latter is the better?

Also, I followed your recommendation and went to the California Moving & Storage Association, where I found a locale United Van Line agent, Locatelli Moving & Storage in Santa Cruz. Any tips on them, and United Van Line in general?

Many thanks!

Cedric

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:13 pm

Yes, I would say that the latter is better. It sounds like your employer might have a national contract with a mover. They would have excellent priority with that mover, especially if they have multiple moves per year.

All business in any industry strive to give good service to someone with potential to give them more business in the future. In reality, most COD customers move MAYBE every 7 years. However, if your employer does even 5 moves a year, that is a solid account the mover wants to keep.

If you decide to go that route, I would suggest holding off on having other movers come out to estimate your move. It'd be a waste of your time and the salesmens.

You might ask the employer who their recommended mover is and then report back here for our impressions.

I don't know that particular United agent, but they are definitely one of the major van lines. If you go the COD route, that would be one mover to get a bid from. Still get 1 to 2 more, unless you go with your employer's recommendation.

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:27 pm

My employer being the University at Texas A&M, I guess they handle hundreds of move per year. Now that you pointed this out, it all seems quite logical, so I will take care of this now and let you know who the employer would use.

Thank you so much for the tip, the rookie that I am feels much better now! :)

cjohn

Postby cjohn » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:33 pm

Just wanted to point out that I am now registered! :)

Cedric

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:36 pm

Glad I can help! Yes, the Unversity will have a greater negotiating pull then you will have on your own. I do feel it will be to your benefit to take advantage of that. But certainly post back here and let us know how the process goes. Good luck!

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:42 pm

If they are paying for the move, by all means go with one of the big van lines. If they balk, show them the $10,000 bill for a CA to Portland bill my friend Will paid last month, plus the damage to nearly everything.

If need be, pay the difference. Now, yes, they have a number of complaints, but it's almost all due to normal things you'd expect, like items breaking and so on(fragile stuff in your own car, obviously) - but that's not a matter of their being gorillas with it so much as most people not packing fragile stuff up well enough.(or not flipping a china cabinet onto its top/back, for instance, and the legs getting broken as a result or 3,000 miles of potholes and stopping/starting)

alanc

Postby alanc » Mon May 01, 2006 4:07 pm

How did your move go with LOCATELLI? I am looking for a mover to move a 3bedroom house from Santa Cruz to Allentown, PA.

Thanks,

Alan

Postby Guest » Mon May 01, 2006 7:09 pm

alanc wrote:How did your move go with LOCATELLI? I am looking for a mover to move a 3bedroom house from Santa Cruz to Allentown, PA.

Thanks,

Alan

We ended up using the Mayflower agent, Fred Monrose from San Jose. We were very pleased with their service, and their driver did his best to bring us our furniture before Christmas (which he did). Sorry, no idea about Locatelli. Good luck with your move, and enjoy SC while you can: we miss it now!!!

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 02, 2006 11:53 am

Thanks for your review, which I'm posting in my summary thread linked to below under "California." For those reading this, note that the actual name of this company that performed well is Mont/Rose Moving Systems, Inc. (Mayflower) in San Jose. The company's website is www.mont-rose.com and its phone is 800-366-6838.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”