NYC to SF

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
tmccagg

NYC to SF

Postby tmccagg » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:18 pm

We're making the trip to SF from NYC, and need a month plus of storage in between as we're travelling and then need to find jobs/apt in SF.

I've had 5 movers come in, all with amazingly different prices and personalities.

I'm going to end up using Whalen, as they were the most buttoned up, most thorough, and had a reasonable price.

I called University, as this site seemed to glow about it (is there a secret sponsorship going on here, as the guy who came over, Scott, constantly refered to the site in his pitch)
But I was first quoted $11,000, and then it was revised down $3,000 after I told him to leave. (He'd made a multiplication mistake.) I got a call later that day that yet another mistake was made and that they needed to add on another thousand, as storage rates were different than initially thought. Needless to say, with that many mistakes made before the estimate was even made, University was immediately off the list.

FlatRate gave a thorough scout of our stuff and the quote was amazingly low. Too low. Looking though everything on this site and talking to others who'd used FlatRate for storage gave me the impression that they weren't going to come through.

I also looked at North American and Atlas, but their quotes were phenomenally high, so ,well, it's Whalen.

Any thoughts on them?

Diane

Re: NYC to SF

Postby Diane » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:12 pm

Whalen is Allied, right? I don't know anything about them, unfortunately, and we don't have anyone posting here regularly who works for Allied and could look them up. Aren't they way up in Westchester County?

Out of curiosity, what did you hear about Flat Rate's storage that struck you as a negative?

About Scott flubbing the estimate, I understand that he is a new hire. I don't know why he kept referring to MovingScam, but I can assure you that the company isn't sponsoring the website or anything and has never given us a dime. I WISH! :wink:
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:05 pm

If you go with a major carrier, United, Atlas etc. the prices will seem higher than the smaller companies. At first I thought I could get away with paying about $1200 for my move from Long Island to Pensacola, Florida. Those are what the estimates came to with small, probably scamming companies. Those estimates were based on cubic ft. Once I had a few major carriers come to give me an ON SITE estimate based on cubib ft converted to weight, I realized that i can expect to pay around $1500-$1800 for the move. Hopefully everything will be delivered in tact, as I will be choosing a reputable company.

lilakess@hotmail.com

Postby lilakess@hotmail.com » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:34 am

I am also moving from NYC to SF and because of this website, I called University Van Lines and Molloy Brothers. Scott came from UVL and gave me an estimate almost double that of Molloy brothers, also, he would not give me a binding quote. Despite all the good reviews here, I just don't have a good feeling about an estimate that seems clearly way over priced. He told me that 98% of his estimates are too high (I was not impressed). I would rather he try to get the estimate right. He also was extremely talkative and wasted my time. Further, I found him condescending, although he did have some helpful ideas about how to make the move cheaper.

I have read the article in epinions, but what I really would like is a referral to a great company. I've called Delancy Movers, who sound great, but they aren't sure they'll have a truck at the end of November. Is there anyone else that someone can recommend? Thanks.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:04 am

Hi - if you want a full-service company with excellent reviews that would definitely be moving you using its own truck and driver, then you are pretty much limited to either Delancey Street or Moovers, Inc. Most of the other companies would put your move into the van line system, so you wouldn't know exactly who the driver would be; as with University, you would be choosing only the booking agent. However, as you've found out, since both Delancey and Moovers are small, they can't be sure that they'll have a truck going at the time you want to move.

It's kind of a tough decision, but in general I think it's best to stick with an agent of a major van line like United, Atlas, or Mayflower because their long-haul drivers are likely to be good. You are moving in a popular lane that good drivers like, so I would say that you have an excellent chance of having a good move with a van line. We have good reviews of Dahill (Mayflower) in Brooklyn, which you can see if you do a search. A couple of people seem to be enthusiastic about Certified (Atlas) on Long Island, although neither one has moved yet. I've also heard good things about Wade Odell Wade and Applegate (both United) in New Jersey. United is the highest-rated van line on Epinions.

Again, keep in mind that you are probably choosing only the booking agent because few van line agents in the NY metro area would be hauling your shipment all the way to CA using their own truck and driver.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:08 pm

Well you may have someone who has used Certified post on this site by the beginning of Novemeber. I am planning on using them. I am back from my trip from Florida and this week I am organizing my packing, to have Certified come back and give me a binding GNTE that he promised he would do. If the estimate comes in much more than his original estimate, I may think about it a little, since everything that I will have next week, was mentioned in my original on site estimate, but wasn't physically seen.

A neighbor of mine moved from California to Long Island and said she was happy with Express movers. I know they were mentioned on this site, haven't read the threads though. She said they gave her a price on cubic feet, and the estimate was right on. Her price didn't change.

Well again thanks for this site, and I will post again when I have more information.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:14 pm

To "lilakess": do not use any company that gives you a quote by cubic feet. Occasionally a person may have an OK move with such a company, but you would be taking a terrible chance, and we have found that even those who have supposedly OK moves are often leaving out some details such as long delivery times.

Also, the situation moving from the NY metro area to FL is different from the situation with a crosscountry move since van line agents are much more likely to move people in their own trucks to FL than they are to move them all the way across the country in their own trucks.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:33 pm

I didn't know that, sorry then for my input on this thread

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:36 pm

sorry I didn't realize that if I came into this site through my e-mail notification, I have to sign in. I was the guest above. Again sorry I didn't realize there is a difference between cross country move and a Florida move. Thanks Diane for clearing that for me.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:07 pm

No problem. After 2-1/2 years I'm still learning the basics myself.

ashear

Postby ashear » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:56 pm

I'm moving from NJ (just outside of NYC) to SF in December and this thread has given me some ideas for movers to call.

One question, am I better of sticking with movers in NJ? One rec was for Dahill in Long Island, which is rather far.

Also, does anyone know anything about the following

Lincoln Storage Wharehouses (http://www.lincolnstoragewarehouses.com/) in Union and Madision NJ, they are a Mayflower agent.

Reliable Van and Storage (http://www.reliablevan.com/) an Allied agent in Elizabeth NJ.

All Brunswick Van Lines (http://www.allbrunswick.com/) a Wheaton agent in South Brunswick NJ.

I plan to call University, Applegate, and Wade Odell Wade based on what I have read here.

One other question. Will the fact that we have not yet found a rental in SF, and so don't have an exact address at the other end be a problem for getting an estimate? How do you figure out whehter you need a shuttle at the other end (once we find a place)?

Thanks

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:14 pm

Hi - in your situation I would stick with moving companies in NJ. All Brunswick has at least one good review on this website for a crosscountry move. University, Applegate, and WOW are also good possibilities but with all these companies, bear in mind that the company will probably only book your move. It will not actually move your things using its own truck and driver. That said, Atlas and United are good van lines and chances are that you would get a decent over the road driver with any of these four companies. With them to choose from, I would not bother getting quotes from the Mayflower and Allied agents.

About not having a definite address, I think that companies can usually give you a binding or GNTE quote (desirable) as long as you know the first three numbers in the zipcode you're moving to. The van line agent (company) should be able to tell you whether you'll need a shuttle or not. But you should keep in mind that any time you have to put your goods into storage you greatly increase your cost. If there is any way you can have your things delivered directly, do so.

ashear

Postby ashear » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:31 am

Sorry, I'm a little confused about the shuttle thing. I though the reason for a shuttle was because the big truck can't get to the house (a real possibility in the Oakland Hills which is where we are looking to live) not a need to store your stuff (which I don't expect to have to do). My question was basically, once we find a place and set a move date how do the guys on this end figure out if the big truck can get to the house on the other end. Thanks.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:33 am

Hi again - because you said "once we find a place" I thought maybe you were going to spend some time looking around in CA after your things had already been moved. If you're going to find a place before setting a move date, that's good because you won't need storage.

Van line agents can usually make a pretty good guess about whether a shuttle will be needed at destination. Sometimes they can persuade the destination agent to go look at the situation, or I think they have satellite maps that they can consult. You yourself could also send photos of the access roads. If they don't know for sure, they will usually give you a list of additional services (like a shuttle) that may be needed and advise you of the cost of those services. Bear in mind that drivers don't really like to use shuttles unless they have to.

ashear

Postby ashear » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:11 am

Thanks. This site is great. I am going to call for estimates today and will report back.

Return to “Open Community”