Moving from Denver to Albany, California. Need full service

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
turkey79

Moving from Denver to Albany, California. Need full service

Postby turkey79 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:38 am

My girlfriend and I are moving in the first week of October and we need a full service moving company to load, drive, and unload our belongings. We live in a 1 br apartment (about 700 sf). I'ts much easier to know which companies to avoid from the site and I'm very gratefull for that, I'm just having a little trouble figuring out who is reliable. So who do youguys reccomend for this move? Who are your top three choices? Thanks in advance for any advice.

MusicMom

Re: Moving from Denver to Albany, California. Need full ser

Postby MusicMom » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:26 pm

I can't think of any specific names in that area with good reviews, maybe Diane can come up with one. Barring that, start by reading the article at the top left with the 8) . Great tips on how to find these guys yourself.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:06 pm

There is a good report on a move with Armstrong (United) in Colorado Springs - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3226 I would imagine that Armstrong has a branch in Denver as well, and it is a very reputable company. Bekins Northwest (Atlas) in Colorado Springs won an Atlas quality award in 2004, a very good sign. I don't know whether they would service Denver, but probably. Colorado Hi-Tec in Denver (Wheaton) won a quality award from the van line in 2004. We have no reviews for these last two.

CKSpeed

Postby CKSpeed » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:46 pm

Hey turkey,

You and I are in a very similar situation. I just found this message board today. I am moving from Denver (Lakewood, actually) to Seattle around the end of October. Need a full service moving company for a 1 bedroom (750 sq ft) apartment. Maybe we can help each other out here.

I have a real estate agent I know looking around right now for recommendations for me. On my own I have on-site estimates scheduled with Armstrong (United), White Moving (Bekins), and Johnson Storage (United). The estimator from Armstrong did her estimate yesterday. Very professional, answered all my questions, and gave me all the correct paperwork.

I originally moved out here from Seattle using Mitchell Moving based out of Tukwila, WA (arranged by my employer). They did a great job at the origin and destination. Unfortuantely they cannot do on-site estimates in Denver, so they are out of the running.

Anyhow, keep me updated with your moving company research.

turkey79

Postby turkey79 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:52 am

Thanks for the responses. CKspeed: It sounds like you're a few steps ahead of me so if anything you'll be helping me out but if I find anything out I'll let you know. Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing, since we have about the same sf. what was your estimate from Armstrong? Did they tell you how long it would take? Thanks in advance.

CKSpeed

Postby CKSpeed » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:29 pm

Turkey: My estimate from Armstrong for a weight of about 3,600 pounds, including full value insurance with a $0 deductible was a Not to Exceed Cost of $3,070. If the weight comes out less, I pay less.

My real estate contact didn't have any moving company recommendations for me. She only knew companies that would only do local door-to-door, not interstate moves.

Most companies recommend getting an estimate at least 4-6 weeks in advance of your move date. Once you pick a company, they need at least 7-10 days advance notice so they can start the process and schedule the move. Might be a wise move to start getting some estimates now.

As far as "how long it would take"... What time frame are you looking for? Time it takes the guys to pack? Time before the shipment arrives at the destination?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:48 pm

Just a thought that you might want to ask each company whether they will self-haul your shipment in their own truck or put it into the van line system. The former is probably best, or if it is moved by a van line truck with a van line driver, ask whether the shipment will be taken to the company's warehouse first. The reason is that every time a shipment is transferred it increases the possibility of damage. Ideally, the truck that picks up your shipment should be the one that delivers it. Also, Johnson Storage, being a United agent, will probably offer more or less the same price and services as Armstrong. The Bekins agent checks out OK on www.safersys.org.

turkey79

Postby turkey79 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:14 pm

Thanks again for more info guys. Freddie from Armstrong is coming on Monday to do a house survey. I just found out last Saturday that we would be moving otherwise I would've started this sooner. CK what I was wondering is how many days it would take before your stuff was in your new place in Seattle. I'll ask them on Monday but I was just curious. It's an 18 hour drive and we'll do it in two days so I want to plan our drive out there accordingly.

CKSpeed

Postby CKSpeed » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:47 pm

Freddie did my survey too. I didn't ask her how long it would take as I already have a place waiting for me at my destination. During my move from Seattle to Denver I believe the truck made the trip in a week and a half. I think my truck shared loads from two other residences. My company paid for the relocation, so I don't have any details. I'm sure Freddie can give you a better time estimate.

My drive took 22 hours and I completed it in two days. I wish I added an extra day because two stretches of driving 11 hour days was tiring.

csapyta

Postby csapyta » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:43 pm

<self-advertisement of SmartMove removed by Diane as being against website policy>

turkey79

Update

Postby turkey79 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:40 pm

Well, I'm going with Armstrong and my total estimated cost is $2,545. This includes an added 10% to cover anyhting that is added to the truck after the estimate was made and according to my estimator, will be refunded upon delivery. There was an additional $270.00 for a shuttle truck to load our stuff and then bring it to the station since my apartment doesn't have garunteed space for the moving company truck. However, I'm in the process of getting that fee removed because I believe the truck can park in the alley behind my building no problem and the loading of the truck shouldn't take more than two hours. The total estimate weight for my belongings is 2,879lbs with a minimum weight of 2100lbs. The truck is scheduled for Oct. 5th and delivery is between the 10th and the 15th of October. Let me know if there is anything I should be cautious of from the info above and I'll keep you posted with any new updates.

Return to “Open Community”