Plans Set for AL to CA Move... Thanks for Good Advice!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
DebbieM

Plans Set for AL to CA Move... Thanks for Good Advice!

Postby DebbieM » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:25 am

Hello,

I will be relocating from Huntsville, Alabama to San Diego, CA during the first week of October. I need to ship the contents of my 2-bedroom apartment along with my car. This site has proven to be a wonderful resource, as I have been referencing information here for several months. Thank you for all of the great advice!

In regards to my household move, I have 4 sets of good-quality wood furniture, a queen-sized mattress and boxspring, and lots of bins/boxes to move. Since ensuring that my wood furniture arrives in good condition is one of my biggest concerns, I decided that having one company pack and move the furniture (with insurance) would be best. So, that led me to evaluating full-service moving companies.

I had three companies come out to give me guaranteed-not-to-exceed in-home estimates. The two companies that I felt best about were Armstrong Relocation (United) and Huntsville Moving Service (Mayflower). All three companies estimated the weight at 4800-5000 pounds, and the quotes were within $500 of each other. Of the three, my first preference was for Armstrong Relocation. However, the Mayflower quote was roughly $350 less than that for Armstrong Relocation. [Mayflower had estimated the weight at 4800 pounds instead of 5000, and used a 64% discount instead of 62%.] I contacted Armstrong Relocation again and they revised their quote to match the 4800 pounds and 64% discount. [The representative said that he had calculated my weight at 4725 pounds, so he didn't mind matching the 4800 pounds.] After doing that, the Armstrong quote was within $100 of the Mayflower quote so I decided to go with Armstrong Relocation. Although I think I would have been fine going with either company, Armstrong Relocation was the most professional from start to finish and had a good reputation on this site. In addition, I was impressed by the fact that this branch of Armstrong Relocation was selected as United's "July 2005 Agent of the Month."

My final GNTE quote with Armstrong Relocation is for $3910. This includes $25,000 worth of insurance coverage with a $0 deductible. Although I am benefiting from moving during a non-peak period, high gas prices hurt a bit, forcing a $425 fuel surcharge into the quote. Armstrong has given me a confirmed pick-up date and a 7-day delivery window. So, my household goods should arrive anywhere from 6 to 13 days after being picked up. If they exceed that time for some reason, Armstrong will reimburse me with a daily per diem.

To handle shipping my car, I got quotes from Intercity and TnT. Although I am sure that Intercity would provide wonderful service, their price was a bit out of my range. I ended up communicating with Regina at TnT several times via email and phone about options with my car. Based on recommendations from this site, I avoided their Chicago Express service and decided that a Terminal-to-Terminal move would be best. Although San Diego has a terminal, the closest terminal to my origin city is 1.5 hours away in Birmingham, Alabama. Although driving my car to a terminal 1.5 hours away will be inconvenient, I figure that it will reduce the chance of my car being damaged. It is also more cost-effective. TnT's price for moving my car from Birmingham to San Diego is $1,132. My car should arrive within 16 days of dropping it off at the Birmingham terminal. In the event that they exceed that date for some reason, they will provide me with an Enterprise rental car until my car arrives. Based on recommendations from this site, I am going to temporarily change the deductible on my auto insurance to $0 and avoid any extra insurance.

Thanks again to the site administrators who have made this wonderful site available! I will check back in after my move with reviews of the two companies I selected. Hopefully, my moves will go well and come in on budget, allowing me to make a small donation to keep this site going.

DebbieM

Diane

Re: Plans Set for AL to CA Move... Thanks for Good Advice!

Postby Diane » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:42 am

Wow - thanks for this detailed preliminary report, Debbie. I agree with your choices. I hope all goes well and I look forward to hearing from you after your move is complete.

Review of AL to CA Move... Thanks for Good Advice!

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:06 pm

I apologize for the fact that it has taken me so long to reply to my original post. But, I did want to provide some feedback on my move. [Better late than never, right?]

In a nutshell, the cross-country move of my household goods and car went very smoothly!

Armstrong Relocation (United)

As I mentioned in my original post, I hired Armstrong Relocation to move my household goods from Huntsville, Alabama to San Diego, California. The movers and driver showed up on time on the morning of Wednesday, 10/5/05. Things went smoothly, and they did a good job of carefully wrapping and padding my many pieces of wood furniture.

I had received a GNTE quote of $3910 for 4800 pounds. A few hours after leaving with my goods, my driver called to tell me that my goods only weighed 3,780 pounds!! As such, my bill dropped down to a total of $3,242. I cannot tell you how excited I was with this news... and how grateful I am to this site!!! I knew nothing about GNTE quotes before I came to this site... by getting one though, I ended up saving over $600. :D

I was given a 7-day delivery window [10/11/05 - 10/18/05] for my household goods. The driver called me the day before he arrived to arrange a delivery time. My items ended up arriving on Thursday, 10/13/05. Not bad at all for a cross-country move!!

The wood furniture arrived in great shape, with no noticable damage. One box of CDs did get damaged, as the box fell out of the truck and onto the ground as the movers were opening the side door of the truck for the first time. It didn't end up being a big deal though, as I only had to replace the broken CD cases. Since the cases were so cheap, I didn't bother filing a claim.

Overall, I was extremely happy with Armstrong Relocation and would highly recommend them.

TnT

I ended up shipping my car via TnT in a Terminal-to-Terminal move from Birmingham, Alabama to San Diego, CA. I dropped the car off in Birmingham on Tuesday, 10/4/05. The lady who helped me at the drop-off point was a bit rude but, other than that, everything went well. One thing I wish they had told me prior to showing up though is that the car inspection goes easier if your car has been recently washed. Oh well.

I was given a guarantee that my car would be delivered no later than 10/20/05. They ended up beating that date by quite a bit, as I was able to pick my car up on 10/11/05. The terminal at San Diego was nicer than the one in Birmingham, and I had no problems retrieving my car. I had my car checked out and there were no signs of damage.

Again, I was very pleased with TnT and would recommend them to others. I really liked the fact that TnT backed up their delivery date promise with a rental car guarantee.

Although late, I hope this review helps others. Please let me know if I have left out any details of interest.

DebbieM

Diane

Re: Plans Set for AL to CA Move... Thanks for Good Advice!

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:42 am

Thanks, Debbie, for coming back to report. Yours will be the first review mentioning AL moving companies on my summary post below and I'll add your good review of TnT to the auto transporters thread.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”