I have other people's stuff in with mine

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
hinklesm

I have other people's stuff in with mine

Postby hinklesm » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:34 am

I moved to TX from OH 8/29-9/6. Do not know where the other part of the load originated but it was to be delivered in the Dallas TX area. In addition to all of my items I have someone else's dinig room table legs. I have called United several times to try to get them returned to the proper owner but I keep being told they (United) will come and get them but they haven't yet. Maybe someone reading this site is missing some parts. I will continue to try and find the owners because that is what I would want someone else to do for me.

Diane

Re: I have other people's stuff in with mine

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:43 am

Other than that, was your move OK?

blue

Postby blue » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:18 pm

Do they have any inventory stickers on them, indicating Lot number and Item number? They could be easily traced this way using the drivers paperwork.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:11 pm

Yes they do have stickers on them and I have given the information to United but they have not followed through. If I called the driver to try to get the info I doubt he would take the time to look it up and get back to me. We did not part on good terms.

I guess my move was O.K. in that I survived and I appear to have all of my things and nothing was damaged. Compared to some of the complaints on this sight it was a breeze.

The local company I went through in Cleveland (Berman Moving) was great. I got a very fair quote for a non-binding contract. I was very hopeful for a smooth move. But everything United touched was bad news.

My things were in storage in OH and I was in TX a minimum two day drive away. The pickup date on my contract was the 26-29th. I called on the 24th and they still didn't know if I was going to be picked up on the 26th. Not wanting to take any chances I left to drive to OH. Shortly after I hit the road United called and said it would not be the 26th but might me Sat.(27th) or Sun. (28th) as my driver had returned and had his new schedule and might want to get started early. I said that would be fine I would be in town and just let me know.

I tried to call Sat. and Sun. and of course they were closed. After four days in a hotel (an expense I didn't count on)Monday(29) the last possible day of pickup I started calling early at 7:00 wanting to know if I was going to be picked up. I explained that I would have to meet them at the staorage unit to let them in. I was told that the driver didn't get in until around 9 and he would call me when he was on his way. At 10 I called back to ask the status of my pickup and they said the driver left an hour ago. I said he never called me and they said "thats unusual".

I raced over to the storage and the driver and three helpers were waiting. I ask why he didn't call me and he said his cell phone had been cut off that morning. I gathered he did not want anyone at work to know this. He apologized and I told him if he could get my stuff in the truck and out of here I would be happy. The helpers were young but O.K. They seem to take care in handling and wrapping. They worked somewhat efficiently and were finished mid afternoon. Some cursing and lots of talk about going home and getting drunk when they finished . I gave them a tip anyway.

Then came the paperwork. The driver ask me to sign a blank bill of lading which I refused. He rolled his eyes and retrieved his weight ticket with his empty weight on it which I wrote down. He explained that I could sign off on the inventory and the unload would move much faster. I smiled and said no I would be checking off on inventory. I ask how I would be able to keep in touch with him and he said that he would get his phone back on as soon as he got back on the road. He also said he would call me with my weight as soon as he left the scales. My possible delivery dates were 9/2-9/6. We discussed Monday 9/5 being Labor Day and he said no problem he works everyday but Christmas and Thanksgiving.

To his credit he did call from his cell phone shortly after he left with my weight so I was able to estimate my charges. He said that one of his pickups had been canceled so he might see me as early as Sun. in TX. I said great! I started calling his cell phone on Sat. to see if he would be here Sun. No response. Called all day Sun. No response. Monday 9/5 - no response. At this point I am concerned where he and my things are if he is not answering his phone or returng my calls. I got an on-call supervisor from United to return my call on the holiday and explained that I could not get in touch with a driver who was suppose to have been at my house already or at least on the way. He said he would have the driver call me but as far as he could tell the driver had been at home since Wed. He said - sometimes when they come off of the rode like that it is hard to get them going again.(?)

Seven hours later the driver calls and he is furious. He was slurring his words and I am guessing was having quite a "holiday" until the supervisor called. He said he was trying to get a crew together and would leave his home that night. He said I guess you know I will have to drive all night now (NOT MY FAULT! He had known for a week when my latest delivery date was). He said he would be at my house with my stuff at 10 in the morning. I said O.K. At 9 the next morning the driver calls and says he could not make the overnight drive and he is three states away. I told him he had about 7-8 of driving left to get here.

He said I guess you know I might be too tired to deliver once I get there since YOU made me drive most of the night.(NOT MY FAULT -if he had been doing his job). I told him to let me know when he got into town. I had remained polite and calm with him since he had my stuff and he was already upset but I was not happy. I called the original company that I made the contract with and told them the situation and that he was threating not to unload until the next day. Wouldn't that be breaking the contract? That person said he would eliminate any reason for the driver to refuse to deliver by calling and authorizing for him to hire as many people as he needed and have them waiting to help unload when he got here.

About 5:30 that afternoon the driver calls and he is so strung out I cannot understand him on the phone. He put one of the helpers on the phone to get directions to my house. Now he is REALLY mad. No extra help showed up so there were only three to unload counting him. He arrived with an attitude and sunglassses he wore until way after dark. I think he was looking for a fight when he got here but I just told him to please get my things off the truck and lets get through this. Five hours later they finished in the dark. I signed paperwork and he stomped out of here. No tip on this end!!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:20 pm

That is truly the driver from hell! I suggest you document everything you just told us and send it in writing to United Corporate. What jumped out at me, is if he was partying enough to slur his words on the phone with you, then promised to immediately get on the road and drive all night, not only is that a drunk driver, but a drunk, exhausted driver. Not to mention violating federal regulations about the proper filling out of the Bill of Lading, and not giving you the weight tickets (nit-picking, but those are the things United can get fined $ for)

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:20 pm

Sorry I asked how your move went. But it sounds as if the booking agent in Cleveland was good, at least, and tried to do everything possible to make things right.

It will be interesting to see what the drivers who post here say about this, if they see it. To the best of my knowledge, none of them drive for United.

Deanne

Postby Deanne » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:41 pm

Sorry you got such a bum driver.

I can tell you he drives for Armstrong Relocation.

The claims department also seems to be working on tracing the table legs.

Hope you are settling in!

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:09 pm

This is the same week that Katrina hit right? I know I had problems getting from the panhandle of Florida, up to Nebraska.However I did make it (was one day late on one shipment becouse of it(Act of God)). But was able to deliver on Saturday. And the following holiday monday, with no problems with Labor. (although my helpers told me that 2 other drivers cancelled thier jobs with them that morning).

But this does sound like a poor quality driver. But lets go threw the list. Yes the driver should have called you in the morning. (or the night before). but that is a curtious call not requried. I try always todo this. But the rest of the load sounds good. As for the BL not being filled out. that is the OA's job. It should have been filled out before hand.

Then one of his loads falls threw. So he just lost a portion of his income for this load. Now here is a figurative example of what this means to a driver. Driver is offered a shipment. It has 4 loads on it. Load A pays $2, Load B pays $3, Load C pays $1, and Load D pays $5. (obviously it is allot more complecated then this. But just trying to give a simple example). So while the average for this size load going this distant normaly pays $12. This load pays $11, so it is not far off. He accepts it. Now in the process. Now load D gets cancelled. part way threw loading the shipment. So now the driver is stuck with load that is only paying $6, instead of the averare $12. (although he might get some more fill), and that might be what he was waiting on.

" He said I guess you know I will have to drive all night now " If he said this in a nasty mater of fact way. then it says it all right there. He is a poor driver. But lets go on. At 9 the next morning when he called you. It does not sounds like he made it that far. So he might have sobered up before he decided to leave. But if he did not, it is to bad he did not get caught. (I take this very seriously).

Basicaly what he told you the next day was he was out of hours. At this point in time he should have said, I am out of hours, Please get a hotel room at my exspense. But he was pressured into driving more (which allot of drivers are) (but like you said it was his own fault, so no real sympathy here).

"About 5:30 that afternoon the driver calls and he is so strung out I cannot understand him on the phone" At 5:30PM the traffic is not very light. So he is driving threw all this traffic, having to constantly shift. talking on the phone, and steering. Not enough hands to wright directions down. So it is normal to hand the phone to a helper to take directions. (although I much prefer getting a map)

All in all, it was not a very good driver. What was your discount lvl, Line Haul and weight?
Ruges

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:05 pm

Ruges wrote:Basicaly what he told you the next day was he was out of hours. At this point in time he should have said, I am out of hours, Please get a hotel room at my exspense. But he was pressured into driving more (which allot of drivers are)

Thanks for explaining some of the things that happened, Ruges. I agree that the driver probably wasn't making much on the move (not that it's an excuse for rudeness, etc.).

But I don't understand what you're saying in the above quote. The driver had driven for too many hours. WHO should have gotten him a hotel room? Not the customer, right? WHO pressured the driver into driving more?

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:05 am

bah, was probly tired when I wrote that. What I was tryiing to say:

When the driver said,"I guess you know I might be too tired to deliver once I get there since YOU made me drive most of the night."

He probly ment he was out of hours. And should not drive any longer. But if he did that, the stuff would be a day late. Since it is the Drivers fault that the would be a day late. He the driver should pay for a night at a motel room for the customer to stay in. Since they had planed on sleeping in thier own house that night.

As for who pressured the driver into driving more. Customer only said that she told him to tell her when he was in town. But I suspect that she said a tad more then that (could be wrong on this) And then she said that she called the company. Who in turn called the driver. The company does not care about the exspense of the driver. Just as long as he gets the job done and the customer stops calling them and complaining.
Ruges

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:44 am

Thanks, Ruges - I was confused by your comment because the customer was already living in her own residence in TX, as I understand it, and the delivery was of extra things that had been in storage in OH. Customers don't usually know about log book violations and so on. If she had known, she might have told the driver to get some sleep rather than pressing on that day to deliver within the spread. But I think the atmosphere had probably already been poisoned by then because of bad communications by the van line and driver.

Return to “Open Community”