Please help me - need a mover in NJ

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
tstout

Please help me - need a mover in NJ

Postby tstout » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:57 am

Hello all~

I am new to this forum bc I am desperate need of assistance. Unfortunately, I am the ding dong who went online to look for moving companies and of course, I get the bottom feeders to respond. Now, I read your website and got a clue! Thank you!

Here are my questions: A company named ALLSTATE has contacted me and I see they are on the blacklist in FLA. Does this apply to just this state?

Also, shouldn't I be cautious of an estimate that is based on HOURS instead of WEIGHT? The customer service rep was clueless when I asked her about the "Binding Not to Exceed" estimate and she just kept telling me that they work in hours (5-7 hours) and estimate a set weight (8,000 lbs). The weight she estimated is HIGHER than the actual weight of the move I did earlier this year to place these goods in storage. We are not taking all of the goods in storage and they are going from a storage unit to a home...just load and unload, that's it! My quote from Allstate was $1K. Is this realistic?

Personally, I don't expect to pay more than $500 - is that realistic?

Lastly, I received an email from All Star Moving and in their "moving statistics" (wrong terminology, I know) it states they only have 1 truck. They also were voluntarily revoked on 2 occasions. I guess I should take this to mean - NOT to trust this company. Right? Also, the man that called me is named "Spike". Not to generalize, but should I really be trusting someone named Spike to quote me on a move????

Any help on a GOOD and reputable moving company in NEW JERSEY would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
TStout

Diane

Re: Please help me - need a mover in NJ

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:22 pm

Hi - you seem to be posting from Richmond VA, but you are asking about a move from a storage unit to a residence in NJ. Yes, it is normal to quote by the hour for such a local move.

Both Allstate and the All Star you are asking about appear to be highly dubious.

If you're in northern or central NJ, a company that has two very good reviews here is Peers Moving in Dover. Also, you could go on www.eMove.com and look for workers to move your things. Most companies would charge around $30/hour per worker plus $30/hour for a truck with probably a four-hour minimum (you say one company estimated the move at 5-7 hours so that should be no problem). If you hire 3 guys and a truck for $120/hour for 6 hours that would be more like $720 rather than $500.

moverchick

Postby moverchick » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:27 pm

Don't jump to conclusions - check the DOT # Allstate Moving and Transfer in Linden, NJ is a very good NJ mover and has nothing to do with a FL operation.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:33 pm

Thanks for the correction, moverchick. The original poster should post the license number for the Allstate company he is talking about so we can be sure which company it is. If it's the legitimate company in Linden NJ and they are going to send 4 guys for 6 hours, a nonbinding estimate of $1000 doesn't seem out of line.

I should have remembered that a very good review of the legitimate Allstate was posted here a couple of months ago and I promised to keep it in mind - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5689 I had forgotten about it.

tstout

Postby tstout » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:49 pm

I thank both of you for the advice. BTW, I'm a she - not a he. :D

I do live in Richmond, VA, but my sister is the one moving and she lives in Middlesex Cty, NJ. Allstate told me that they would have 3 movers and would estimate $100 an hour for 4 hours of moving and 1 hour of travel time since the goods are already packaged and it's local. This is subject to change though if it takes longer.

I just wanted to be certain that I'm not being scammed since I am the one paying for this move and I am in a different state. I have to rely on my sister in NJ to get "site & see" estimates from other companies' and compare to companies that I'm inquiring.

Lastly, I believe that this Allstate company is located in Linden. The rep did not give me the DOT#/MC#. I will call back to ask and review their credentials.

Thanks again! Much appreciated.

Teesha

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:54 pm

Hi Teesha,

The thread I quoted above says that the company in Linden was recommended by University Van Lines and it gives the NJ license number for the company. It is an agent of Paul Arpin Van Lines. If your sister's company is the same company, that is a very strong point in its favor since I trust University not to recommend anyone shady.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:16 pm

Hi Diane~

That's my mom's name....she just passed away Feb 28th, so I will take it that you're my little angel giving advice. :D

I actually received an email from Allstate and it's not the same company in Linden. This company is from Clifton and their numbers are:
US DOT: 1380440 / ICC MC: 531282

She quoted me $573 w/INTRASTATE mileage included of $73.00. She also told me that she would throw "free" boxes in the estimate along with no surcharge for fuel or tolls. What's funny is she still has an estimated weight of 8400lbs/1200 cfu. This bothers me bc it's NOT going to weigh that much. I moved my mother's entire house into a 10X15 storage unit and the quote was 6000lbs and this was shipped from PA to NJ.

Am I being overly cautious? What should I look for on this BOL to ensure the price doesn't go up?????

Thanks again for responding! Please let me know what you find about this company.

Teesha

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:04 pm

Wow, this really shows the importance of getting the license number. Going to the DOT website at www.safersys.org, I see that this company is completely different from the reputable Allstate in Linden. Its legal name is All States Moving LLC and it IS in Clifton, NJ. It has been licensed to do interstate moves only since September 22, 2005 (two weeks ago). Yes, it can probably do intrastate moves, but it looks very sketchy to me. You're right; the weight estimate seems much too high, although it's hard to know what the company would gain by doing that. Another thing--I've noticed that moving companies with LLC in their names (Limited Liability Corporation) are likely to be dubious. And when I looked it up on www.bbb.org, I saw that its address is listed there as 381 Crooks Ave Apt S-22F, Clifton, NJ 07011. Straw in the wind? Seriously, a moving company shouldn't be located in an apartment! If you found the company on the Internet, that's another mark against it.

All in all, even though its quote is very low I would look for another company. There are just too many question marks with this one. How about calling the reputable Allstate to see what they say, or Peers Moving? You may pay more but you would have peace of mind.

Allstate Moving & Transfer Co. (phone 908-474-0007) has a very good review for a local move within NJ. See http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5689
Address 1333 W. Edgar Road
Linden, NJ 07036
Website www.allstatemoving.com
NJ License Number 00041PC

Peers Moving in Dover (phone 973-366-2898) has two very good reviews for local moves within NJ. See
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2783 and
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3943

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:29 pm

Thanks again for the insight, Diane.

I did look on safersys.org and noticed that they just opened for business on 9/22/05. I also noticed that they are not affiliated with AMSA. In the advice column, it stated to be cautious of this note.

What's funny about what you stated regarding their address is it's listed on the BBB inaccurately. The actual estimate states an address of 208 River Road. So, whatever is stated on the BBB could be the owner's address...and yes, he could be a crook! This is speculation though.

Nevertheless, I will contact the Allstate company in Linden since there are several good responses from them.

Thank you for all of your expertise and help. Wish me luck!

Teesha

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:28 pm

I'd like to point out a pretty important detail about ALL STATES MOVING LLC, DOT1380440, MC531282, in case anyone else comes along to ask about them:

The interstate license that was granted two weeks ago is a Contract license (meaning no Cargo insurance is needed or had by All States Moving), and is for MOTOR PROPERTY, not Household Goods. The DOT lists them as being registered to carry Furniture. I so wish the DOT and FMCSA would communicate more!

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... l_name=ALL^STATES^MOVING^LLC&pv_pref_docket=MC531282&pv_usdot_no=1380440&pv_vpath=LIVIEW

therestofthestory

Postby therestofthestory » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:34 pm

An update on this company which is no longer in business. Your instincts and advice about using caution with All State Movers, LLC (Clifton, NJ) was right on.

A couple who moved from NJ to Seattle used this company and had multiple problems in 2006 or 2007 (not sure which). They sued the company in Washington and won an amount against All State Movers, et al and others in the amount of $80,000. I see that in 2009 the federal court district in NJ issued an order that prevents the owners from fleeing the country...which may well be the case. (And, it may mean that federal charges are on the way down the pike against the company since there were interstate violations and the company, according to the federal court judges opinion, was unlicensed for interstate commerce.)

Should you want to know more about the case, here is the case number in NJ District Court with a reference to the initial ruling in the Washington Western District Court:
http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court- ... id-211314/

Multiple independent moving companies in New Jersey are owned by immigrants (both legal and illegal) who share social securities numbers, registration, addresses and other vital information to open a 'fly by night' moving company who set up the 'scams' just as described on this site. And, there are drivers who may or may not have a 'legal' commercial license to drive these trucks (another story....). These companies open up for a year or so, employee other illegal immigrants who are not paid fairly and who do not have workers comp in many cases which could present a liability of sorts to the homeowner.

Point of my posting is that information posted on websites like this one are sometimes the best protection from being 'taken' by these companies. Thanks for doing such a great service!

Bottom line is don't hire them if they don't 'feel' legitimate after doing your homework. If the red flag is there, its most likely that the company is going to cause you problems.

Return to “Open Community”