Questions about Florida located scams

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Stryyde

Questions about Florida located scams

Postby Stryyde » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:05 am

Alright gotta move in 12 days or less.

we've received alot of quotes. One of them in question is Globus.
I've seen that Globus is a name in California that on here thats on the blacklist but it doesn't show it as a name we don't want from florida.

Anyone got any information on Moving companies with a good reputation here in Florida?

Diane

Re: Questions about Florida located scams

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:18 am

Don't use Globus under any circumstances. Scammers often appear to be located in places where they really aren't. They just have a mail drop there. Also, don't use any company that you've never heard of that contacts you as a result of information that you posted on the Internet.

Here's a recent thread with a list of FL companies with good reviews here (last post) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4243

If cost is a concern, I suggest that you go with one of the freight companies (ABF or Broadway Express). See many reviews on stickies at the top of the message board, plus a FAQ sheet there explaining how those companies work. They can usually schedule pickups on very short notice at this time of year. You can use workers from www.laborready.com or www.eMove.com to help load the truck, plus if you go with Broadway Express you can hire the driver for about $30/hour. You can use this online cost calculator to get an idea what BE would cost - http://www.broadwayexpress.net/household.html

Stryyde

Postby Stryyde » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:34 pm

Upon further investigation there is a definate change in the name of this. there is Globus Moving from up in california and then this is called Globus Van Lines. I know the name can change. I am going to call the BBB in reguards to these folks. They state they are on BBB and my Wife e-mailed BBB and they verified they were a part of it.

I've still a shaky feeling about it but I need van line for a tight budget.
these are the best I've seen so far. I am going to call and find out when they joined. apparently there were 4 complaints against them. ALl where resolved. Just late deliveries.

http://globusvanlines.com/ heres their site.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:16 pm

I repeat: if you're on a tight budget, go with a freight company like ABF or Broadway Express that will charge you about 40% less than the cost of a legitimate full-service mover. DO NOT USE Globus Van Lines!

One of our core volunteers here, MusicMom, investigated the company a couple of months ago and found many suspicious things, including a recent license revocation. She believes that the companies in CA and FL are connected. See this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4766 Membership in the BBB or the AMSA means nothing.

All we can do is warn you. You have to have enough common sense to listen. You will end up paying much more than the Globus quote and have incredible stress along the way.

Stryyde

Postby Stryyde » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:06 am

no worries :) after a long discussion with the wife, and persuasion. We have actually decided to go with a different van line. The biggest indication being ADI Perezt and Avian Peretz The last names of the President is exactly the same. I think the guy changed his names to remain annoynimous and reapplied to the BBB and that other society. We found a reasonable van line now that has been in operation for over a year now with a clean record with the BBB. Their status was updated just yesterday on the BBB site. It starts with a N and I think it's also with lightning movers.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:57 am

I wouldn't rely too much on BBB reports; it's a rather flaccid, ineffectual organization. It is simply a business to which other businesses pay dues in exchange for a satisfactory rating. So the BBB is verrrrrryyyy hesitant to assign an unsatisfactory rating to a dues-paying member. Also, it's important to know that some companies operate under many names: one name under which they maintain a clean BBB record and other names under which they scam consumers. Beward of BBB reports. The mover that scammed me out of several thousand dollars had a satisfactory rating.

Stryyde

Postby Stryyde » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:47 am

That is good to know. Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to interrogate these guys and if I need to I'll have my Legal insurance folks read over any contracts they hand me to insure they live up to their end of the bargains. At the very least the Legal people can insure there are no loop holes in the contracts.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:23 pm

The moving industry enjoys legal protections that no other industry has. You can have your "legal people" read about the Carmack amendment. Essentially, the moving company can do whatever it wants, once it has your goods on the truck, signed document or not. The police will tell you it's a "civil matter" when they have your belongings on their truck and they are asking for thousands more than the written, signed estimate. You could take them to court if an attorney would be willing to take the case but that is expensive and you could only recover what they stole from you in the first place, no punitive damages. The reason this site exists and the reason there are passionate volunteers trying to help others avoid what they went through is because there are really no consumer protections in the moving industry.

Lightning Movers is not a company you want to use. No amount of checking ahead of time will help you prevent a scam once the mover has your things. So the key is to hire a reputable mover in the first place.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:31 pm

Stryyde,

CA is giving you very good advice and it would be a shame not to take it. You can look over the contracts until your eyes bleed but if there is nobody to enforce the contracts then they aren't worth the paper that they're printed on. If you can't sue the company for fraud, intentional misrepresentation, intentional neglect, etc, then what good are your attorneys going to be?

Do the research, and hire a reputable mover the first time or it really will be too late. Once your belongings are loaded on the truck the game is over so you won't get a second chance.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Stryyde

Postby Stryyde » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:58 pm

I totally understand what you people are syaing thats why I'm doing all the research I can right at the moment. Making sure I have a voice chat with the folks and see where exactly they are located etc etc.

http://nobelvanlines.com/ They atleast quoted in weight.
I'm seeing Florida and California being a shot in the dark for the most part. Take that A-1 Fargo of Miami FL It's on the blacklist and at the same time it's on the resputible list here on the forums. they also were the most expensive movers ranging there in the 5000 dollar range for bearly 2 rooms of stuff.

i think until Someone does lay the legislature It will always be like throwing a dart at a dartboard. as carefully aimed as the dart is you still may end up gettin screwed.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:09 pm

Do not use Nobel. See this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5078 Some scammers have started quoting by weight to try to get more victims.

Also, A-1 Fargo is not on the Blacklist here.

People who have to move quickly, as you apparently do, are at great risk of being scammed. I can't emphasize too strongly: do not go with any company you've never heard of that contacts you as a result of information that you posted on the Internet. Reputable companies do not incessantly phone and email prospective customers.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:32 pm

I am glad that you have been heeding the warnings of those who have already replied to you.

At the same time, I'm worried because you keep coming up with names of bad, bad movers! You are comparing them to the price given by A-1, and saying that A-1's quote is expensive. In fact, it is exactly the opposite. A-1 is REALISTIC. All these other guys have a terrible repuation for a reason. They get their customers by providing enticing quotes that pull in business. In the end, the amount they actually charge is equal to or even higher than the amount that the customer was quoted by a reputable mover. If you think A-1 is expensive, try paying $5000 for you load after the movers have been screwing around with you for 6 weeks.

If price is such a concern for you, I would suggest getting rid of all furniture, and anything that cannot fit into a mailable box. Then ship it all to your new house via FedEx, DSL, UPS, or the USPS. You can use the money you saved to buy new (or new-to-you) furniture at the desination. Think of it as a chance to re-decorate to celebrate your new surroundings. :wink:

Please feel free to list any other names you come up with, but I hope you will shy away from the cheapies.

Stryyde

Postby Stryyde » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:49 pm

Have you all heard of Lightning Movers? Yeah most likely another bogus one because their estimate was by cubic feet. If they are bogus believe it or not they clued us into all of this and gave us this site name.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:59 pm

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:00 pm

Sorry, I accidentally hit Submit before I was done.

The above link is to a complaint about Lightning.

This is a link to a thread entitled "Why Cubic Feet Estimates Should Be Avoided"
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5311

Biggest reason is that they are now illegal for interstate moves.

Return to “Open Community”