My most important box stolen - I'm devastated...(Apollo, NJ)

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
ShirazM

My most important box stolen - I'm devastated...(Apollo, NJ)

Postby ShirazM » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:19 pm

Wow...I can't believe it. I am so sad right now. I was moving from NJ to Chicago when I found this site. I have spent weeks on this site researching the best way to move. I went through many movers (my name on this site was rutgerman but I lost the password) and I finally had 3 or 4 reputable movers come and give me quotes. Satisfied that I had decent quotes, I went with Apollo Movers, an agent of North American Van Lines. I spoke to Allen, the vice president, and Tammy. They gave me a good price, plus a GNTE price, so I decided to go with them.

I went ahead of the shipment, while my parents met the driver, Owen. He left last week and got here yesterday (Tuesday). I was a little bit surprised at the weight, so I asked for a reweigh. The dispatcher, Edy, said “you should have told us that when he was still in Brooklyn.” I found out that my parents had put a few extra things in the truck, so I thought, well, I won’t make a big deal out of it. When I met Owen outside the apartment building, he had a couple with him that had driven in separately. Dean Williams was the man's name, and he said he was from a local moving company in West Chicago. Dean and his wife helped Owen take the boxes to the apartment. Dean was very chatty and asked me questions about where I would be working, and telling me about scams that movers might try to pull.

I went back and forth to make sure they put stuff where it needed to go. And my wife was checking items off of a list as they were called out. So everything was done well and efficiently. Pretty soon, we got to the last few items. Dean and his wife came in saying, “that’s it, that’s all the boxes.” I looked at the list and there were a couple of items missing. I looked for item #255, which was my table legs. Dean found it quickly and I marked it off. Next was a larger box, which Dean also found right away. Last was box #207, which was listed as a small box. Dean reached over a big stack of boxes and looked and said, “yep, here it is all the way at the bottom”. So I went ahead and marked it off. Owen had me sign all of the papers, and as they got ready to leave, I was pretty satisfied that everything was there.

Unfortunately, this was not the case.

Box #207 was missing. It would have been OK if it had things that were just pricey. But it was not just a box of DVDs, but my Disney collection (I used to work at Disney and had amassed a rare collection). I looked through all my boxes yesterday after they left, and #207 was nowhere to be found.

I have called up all the people involved. I have filed a claim with North American, a police report with the Village of Lombard, and even spoken to Dean, who of course, disavows any knowledge. (He said, “I could’ve sworn that box 207 was on the bottom there…”) So I need help ASAP! Does anyone know what I should do? Losing this particular box is devastating…

Thanks,

Shiraz

MusicMom

Re: My most important box stolen - I'm devastated...(Apollo,

Postby MusicMom » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:15 pm

While the situation is getting resolved (and hopefully it ill turn up with someone else's load), you may want to keep an eye on Ebay for it.

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:59 am

Was this carrier packed or, did you pack it?
Ruges

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:28 am

So whats the status of this?
Ruges

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:24 pm

i know that hindsight is 20/20. but you should not have trusted the driver and made sure it was 207. to be honest, your claim will probably be denied since you signed for everything.

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:26 am

Personly, I think the box was acually there and checked off. And the movies where found. Why is a driver going to risk loosing a $60k anual job for a box that he could maybe hawk for $50? same goes for the helper. They both sounded very profesional. But with all the negatavity on the moving industry. People are quick to jump to conclusions.

I was once accused of stealing a box full of tupperware dishes. What am I going todo with a box of tupperware dishes? Or the time when I was unloading, the customer put his own numbers on his boxes. When we did the check off we used my numbers. But he was he was realy insistant on checking his own numbers off too. So to make him feel good I decided we would go ahead and check his numbers off after. All my numbers checked off. but 3 of his did not. So we spent about an hour going threw all the boxes looking for those 3. Only to find out that he ended up packing those boxes inside other boxes. I have many other examples like this.
Ruges

Return to “Report A Scam”