CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Nancy

Re: CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:12 pm

Fred, the booker gets charged the premium out of their booking commission. Therefore, they charge the customer a bit more to offset this chargeback. So that is why it is polite to disclose this before they give you the lowest/best price possible. Usually not enough profit to take on this debit from the van line.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:16 pm

So basically the customer is paying it but with the left hand and not the right hand,

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:37 pm

This came up during a recent move with University Van Lines. The customer mentioned the AAA deal after she already had a quote. The sales rep told her that he could give her the free valuation but would have to reduce the discount by 2 percentage points. I called the owner to clarify and he said that yes, they do tell people that because they'll be charged for it by the van line, and with all these things being deducted their profit gets whittled away. In some cases Atlas agents have told the customer that they don't participate in the AAA affiliate program when they really do (I've heard). Anyway, it was moot in this customer's case because she decided not to purchase valuation coverage.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:09 pm

So in reality it is a sales gimmick and probably not worth it in the long run.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:40 pm

Diane, that shows exactly why the customer should disclose this to MotherLode before the quote is done.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:55 pm

Yes, I understand now how it works. I didn't realize at the beginning that the cost would come out of the agent's pocket; I thought it was something the van line was providing. I wouldn't want to penalize the poor agent (the van line, maybe, but not the agent :wink: ). I regret that I may unknowingly have given customers bad advice about this in the past.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:03 pm

I think Diane that it comes out of the shipper's pocket. For example; the get free valuation and a 62% discount as opposed to pay for the valuation and get 64%. Problem is that as soon as someone sees the word "FREE", they think they are getting a deal.
Depending on on the move charges the shipper could be getting ripped.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:12 pm

Yes, but Nancy's point was that it's awkward for the sales rep to have to backtrack on his initially stated discount level to recoup the cost of the valuation if the customer insists on it after the estimate has already been given. I think University was probably unusual in doing that, or more accurately giving the customer a choice: the higher discount or the free valuation. I think in some cases the rep might be too embarrassed to change the discount level and the agent would eat the loss. I do like the way University is up front with customers about such things. It doesn't try to keep them in the dark.

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:17 pm

Okay, I called Mother Lode and asked for a quote over the phone since I had already had 2 other saleman come out and give me an estimate. I gave Mother Lode the weight of 11,200, he quoted me $4,000, and asked if I was a AAA member (I had already disclosed that I had gotten to other quotes) I said I was and he told me I would get the replacement value of $75,000 for free, and no deductible. All 3 companies have all been around the same price.....but, having to add on insurance is at least another $450-$550 in cost. So, I am inclinded to go with Mother Lode. Am I missing something?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:31 pm

No; I think Mother Lode sounds like the best deal. The only thing I'm wondering about is whether your shipment will go direct, i.e. will it be picked up and delivered by the same driver? If so, that is a plus. You could ask both Chipman and Mother Lode about this. Whichever one you choose, please come back to report because we have no reviews of any Sacramento area mover.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:14 pm

Shipments that size are normally direct loads. Only time I have seen agent pick-ups are on 2,100lb to 3,000. A lot of times, these are coming out of apartments that are not accessable to the big rigs.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:53 pm

Thanks for the info, Fred. I think sometimes in the summer even fairly large loads have to be picked up by the agent if the road driver's truck fills out unexpectedly.

IMP

Postby IMP » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:01 pm

Diane - correctomundo! In peak seasons (be it summer or a winter like that I'm going through now) there are instances where even an 11,000# shipment is not direct.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:17 pm

Sorry. I have to remember that there are two different dispatch philosophies.
Up here all shipments (unless within 150 miles) are controlled by van line fleet dispatch. The agents do not control their trucks that are operating on fleet service.
South of the border, the agents control their trucks. The agency dispatch can send one of their trucks past a stranded shipment 500 miles to service one of their orders even though there is another agency truck available to service their order.
It seems to be a great waste of manpower and equipment since they criss-cross each other with partially empty trailers.
I have never seen shipments stranded up here like I see on the US side.

Of course I do work for the best van line :lol:

jrossitr

Postby jrossitr » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:23 pm

I just got an estimate from Chipman. Actually, it was the third estimate. The first one was for all my stuff and all the packing. When I found out I was going to leave the washer, dryer and frig, I asked for a second estimate. Then I asked for another if I did some of the packing to get the price under my $5000 budget, which he did. The only problem is that he gave me a fixed price estimate instead of a not-to-exceed estimate like the first one. When I asked him about this, he said that United's discount rate goes down when the shipment goes below 7000 lbs by 3 %. So he capped the minimum and maximum weigth at 7000 lbs thereby locking in the price. Is this the normal situation? Can't I get a not-to-exceed estimate under $5000? I had other estimates @ 8000 lbs that included the appliances. Is it safe to assume that the weight will be greater than or equal to 7000 lbs.? If the weight is actually below 7000 lbs., I could lose money.
John Rossiter

Return to “Open Community”