Advice needed - JD Carton and Son, Parsippany, NJ

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
janny

Advice needed - JD Carton and Son, Parsippany, NJ

Postby janny » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:55 pm

Hi -

We're getting ready to move from NJ to NC. Among the estimates we've gotten was one from JD Carton & Sons in Parsippany, NJ. So far, we're leaning toward going with them, but we'd espeically like to hear from people that have used them in the past, and what your experience with them has been. A little about our story:

First, JD Carton was the only company that gave us a binding TPG as their first estimate. Before we make a final decision, we're planning to ask the others to bind their estimates, so we can compare apples to apples. The biggest reason we're leaning toward them, is that our situation is slightly unusual in that we want to have stuff picked up from multiple locations. One is a facility that another company has already told us a shuttle *MAY* be required at due to the narrow street it is on. Additionally, our destination is on a dirt road, which may ALSO require a shuttle. Obviously, the potential for two shuttles with any other company could significantly increase their estimates, however, because of the distance, JD Carton said they're able to treat our move as a local move (we come in just under 500 miles, which they said is their criteria). They "joked" that they'll be using the shuttle for our entire move (only about 8500 pounds on a 30-foot straight truck), so that wouldn't be an issue with them at all. The others will be using a tractor trailer, where our stuff will be on the truck with another family's, and therefore potentially harder to get into and out of our locations.

Just as we were ready to give them the move, we discovered this website, and learned about safersys.org - we followed the advice in the 'how to find a reputable mover' artice, and were shocked to learn that they show up as "out of service (interstate only)" as of 10/11/2005 (just last week). I say shocked, because we'd already determined (or so we thought) that they are a reputable company - they came for an in-home estimate, are not subcontracting the move, didn't quote based on cubic feet, they're an agent for "Allied Van Lines", etc. We've already seen some of the less-reputable movers, and definitely didn't put JD Carton in the same class. But, this OOS worries us.

So, is there a legitimate reason that this could be? Does the fact that they've told us this is a "local" move to them mean the "OOS Interstate Only" doesn't even apply in this case? Despite all the other positives, should this cause us to immediately remove them from consideration? Should we contact them and ask about it (and what questions should we ask, specifically)? And overall, from those people who HAVE used them, what has been your experience, good or bad? Our stuff may not be super important stuff to anyone else, but it means something to us, and we want to be sure we're not about to make a mistake. Please share your experience with this company with us.

Thanks in advance...

Diane

Re: Advice needed - JD Carton and Son, Parsippany, NJ

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:03 pm

JD Carton has probably let its own interstate licensing authority lapse because it is using Allied's authority. I will cautiously say that I think the company is OK. We have no reports on a move with them and Tim had concerns about a lawsuit the company was involved in (do a search on "JD Carton" in quotation marks using the Search button), but as a rule of thumb you will not be scammed by an agent of a major van line. Its BBB report is OK and the lawsuit really had nothing to do with the merits of Carton as a moving company. The fact that Carton plans to move you in its own straight truck is a major plus because the fewer transfers the better in terms of possible damage to goods as well as expense.

janny

Postby janny » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:33 am

Thank you so much, Diane. That's somewhat reassuring. We're still going to questioin them about the OOS before we're ready to give them the job - we do want to hear what they have to say about it in their own words. I agree about them using their own straight truck being a major plus (and it's the biggest reason we were leaning their way).

Thank you very much for your response. We'd still like to hear from anyone whose moved with them about good/bad experiences with the actual move.

Thanks again.

janny

Postby janny » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:26 pm

Well, in doing more research and after called the FMCSA and our local field office for the DOT, we discovered that the Out of Service Order issued indicates that JD Carton is not authorized to make ANY moves right now while their fine remains unpaid (the whole reason for the OOSO in the first place). They weren't able to tell me what the fine was for, that info wasn't in their systems, but they did say that it hasn't been paid for over 90 days and if they got stopped on the road while our stuff was on the truck and it was discovered that they had an Out of Service Order, our merchandise could be held (i.e. the truck would be held from service) until the fine got paid. NOt good. So, we are going to probably go with our local United agent, or amybe even Mayflower. We already got an estimate from United. Mayflower is coming tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted and let you know what happens.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:42 pm

I just wanted to follow up on this. We did end up using JD Carton, after all. They were not even aware of the fine and apparently it was due to a traffic stop/unpaid ticket under their old DOT number.

Our driver, John, who does all of their interstate moves was great---courteous, conscientious, nice to work with. All of our stuff arrrived safe and sound here in NC and the guys John had to unload the truck worked quickly and nonstop. An overall good experience.

Hope this helps!

P.S. We didn't care for our salesman, James...a "typical" salesman...but are still satisfied overall with our experience with the company.

janny

Postby janny » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:44 pm

Sorry, I wasn't logged in before I posted the above message. Just wanted you to know that it was definitely me who posted the above message. :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:47 pm

Thanks so much for posting this. I had wondered what happened because somebody was asking about the company very recently. Now I'll feel more confident about them and will add your good review to my summary post on NJ movers.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Paul A.

Postby Paul A. » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:17 am

I was searching for more information on a mover too and was directed here from the lakeparsippany.com community site.

Thanks for the heads up.

PissedInMorrisCounty

Postby PissedInMorrisCounty » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:22 pm

I move from a small three bedroom on the second floor to a small two bedroom house. I had everything packed and ready for the move, but once the drivers got there, everything fell to pieces. One of the movers was an older man who was clearly not happy about moving things down stairs. They both immediately called their bosses saying that there were to many items and that I lied about how much stuff I had. I don't know how I can lie when I showed the estimator everyhthing I had. After discussing options with their boss, my options were to have a third person show up, or just let the guys go. I was already afraid of going over on cost, so said that a third would have to do. After, a few more minutes of bitching from the movers, I decided that someone had to do something. So I started bringing down boxes. Yes, I became the third mover. Great deal for the older mover! Now, he could stay downstairs and "load"the truck while my wife, myself, and the other mover did the work. After that, they couldn't figure out how to get my couch down. 45 minutes later and one destroyed hallway and couch, the decide to go out the other stairwell... 15 minutes later, they had it out and destroyed that hallway. Now, they are all loaded and we are very close to my five hour window. They say they are taking an hour for lunch, but not worry, that isn't charged. At this point, my only option is for them to just unload everything into the living room and run. When it came time to reconcile the bill, I was furious. First thing he does is charge me with a starting time of 8:30. That is the time they showed up, but after bitching and crying on the phone with their boss, we didn't move one thing until 9. Then, he only docks a half hour from their time for lunch. $150 over budget, $1500 in damages (and counting) at my old place, and still nothing from their "claims" department on the fixes. Worst. Company. Ever.

Return to “Open Community”