Using DAHILL MAYFLOWER to move From NY New York to LA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
cv

Using DAHILL MAYFLOWER to move From NY New York to LA

Postby cv » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:59 pm

I have decided to use Dahill Mayflower to move my business and residence from NYC to Los Angeles. I have an estimated 11,000 lbs. They came in with the 2nd highest quote and only have one RESOLVED complaint with the BBB in the past 36 months(that's good!), no complaints with the NY DOT and no complaints with the Federal agency that regulates cross country movers. The lowest priced estimate was Triple Crown Maffucci Bekins ($3K lower), which seemed to good to be true. Thanks to this board, the BBB(24 complaints), and the NY DOT(2 complaints), i am so glad I did not choose the cheapest option. Dahill is estimating the transport time to be 10-14 days after pickup. I will post after the move, with a report on their service. My sales agant, Christopher Blank was very, very thorough compared to other agents and has been in the business for 25 years(I think.) University Van Lines Atlas (Rahway NJ) was my 2nd choice, but UVL wanted to use services that Dahill did not deem necessary, hence the estimate was higher. Though I must say that the sales Agent, Mike Carolan was extremely professional and knowledgable and thourough. I would definitely recommend UVL too! :D

rbadin

Re: Using DAHILL MAYFLOWER to move From NY New York to LA

Postby rbadin » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:15 pm

I am thinking of using Dahill on a small move from NY to LA. It is a time sensitive move and also involves valuable art work, books, etc. He quoted me $4000 for the entire move. I am still waiting for the fax to see how many pounds this comes in at.

Was your quote comparable?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:37 pm

Hi - the best way to get "cv" to answer is to sign up for membership and send him a Private Message, because he may not see your question for many days. But if he had 11,000 pounds his cost is undoubtedly much higher than yours. A rule of thumb is that it costs around $1 per pound to move things cross-country with a full-service mover. Shuttles and fuel surcharges would add to this. Also, he says that Bekins was $3,000 less than Dahill--so my guess is that his quote was around $11k-$12K.

I am always somewhat nervous when someone says that a move is time sensitive and there are valuable things involved. You should understand that Dahill is just the booking agent. They are not going to move your things across the country in their own truck--they are going to give it to a United or Mayflower driver associated with the van line. This is not necessarily bad, but Dahill will not have control of the move after it leaves NY. Also, you should inquire carefully about delivery dates.

I am just guessing that you have around 3200 pounds, or 7 linear feet. Broadway Express could move this size shipment for around $2300 and the delivery time would likely be within 10 days--just so you know. On top of that cost you would have to pay workers to load (and pack if you want) and unload. BE's record is excellent for damage-free moves. I am just mentioning this because I think it could actually be safer and faster than going with Dahill because there would be no transfer of the goods--the driver who picks them up would be the one who delivers them.

I have no ax to grind here but I just want to make you aware that there is another possibility. I have a feeling that cost isn't your main concern, which is why I am focusing on rapid and damage-free transit. One downside, however, is that you cannot get any kind of coverage against breakage, scratches, and dents if you move with a freight company like Broadway Express. Some customers are unwilling to assume this kind of risk.

cv

Postby cv » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:31 pm

Wow. Diane is good! Yes, my quote is about 11.2K including full value, no deductible insurance. We are unpacking and packing most of our goods. They will be crating one item and packing several pieces of glass, artwork and a couple of lamps. They are estimating 10-14 days transit time.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:39 pm

cv,

I can't take any credit for my good guess, because everything I know about moving I've learned from the knowledgeable folks posting here!

I just want to reassure you that I think you've made a good choice in Dahill. You have a much larger load than "rbadin"--almost half of the trailer--and that usually translates into a faster delivery time. Also, Dahill has performed very well for people posting here. Finally, the owner of All Star Moving in Brooklyn, a guy whose judgment I respect, tells me that he routinely recommends Dahill for long-distance moves that he himself can't handle. He says that Chris Blank is a very good estimator.

I'm glad that you also liked University Van Lines' Mike Carolan. University does tend to give high GNTE estimates but the reviews show that many people have ended up paying substantially less than the estimate. Thank goodness you avoided Maffucci. People tell me that one of the worst things about Bekins is that they drag their feet terribly on paying claims--people have to sue them to get any restitution.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

PatR

Postby PatR » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:32 pm

Diane?
I was reading on FMCSA's rights and responsibilities that if you ask a mover to only put your move (belongings) on the truck that they will usually go along with this even on an interstate move...do most movers only move belongings if there are multiple shippers for that trip across the US?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:42 am

Pat,

I was told by someone in the industry that any moving company will do anything legal for anybody as long as the money is there. Normally they like to have a cross-country truck nearly full with around 25,000 pounds of goods from one or more shippers, but they will also give a person with a small shipment exclusive use of the truck if he or she pays enough.

firewalker

Postby firewalker » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:19 am

If you want a whole truck, I'd check Broadway out. That's the option we chose, though I'm guessing we won't use more than 1/2 to 2/3 of the truck (have to build a *sturdy* bulkhead!) For our cross-country move they quoted $5600 & change, plus a fuel surcharge.

But it's worth it to us to get our stuff in 4-5 days and not to have to worry about where-all it's been in between leaving our MD home and arriving in NM. I'm guessing that at this time of year it's easier to get whole-truck bookings from just about any company that will do it, since it doesn't seem to be a busy season.
Cecile
"Moving is like whacking your head against a stone wall-- it feels so good when you stop."

PatR

Postby PatR » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:00 pm

Firewalker
I've already had my nightmare move in July 2005, but thanks for the tips. :wink: :D

rbadin

Postby rbadin » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:51 pm

Thanks so much, Diane. I wrote earlier about my nightmare experience with My American Movers. Using Dahill would be my second attempt at retrieving the goods I needed to pick up the first time with My American. I do have to move by a certain date, as the goods are located in an apartment I don't live in and access to the goods is limited. It does seems that Dahill's quote is on the pricey side and I appreciate that they won't be completing the move to LA, but the quote does seem comparable with other, bigger moves proportionately. I didn't realize that Broadway Express actually packs the things for you. I thought that b/c they are a freight company, you have to do the packing, which I cannot do as I will have to remain in LA while the packing is happening in NY. Anyway, thanks for the Broadway Express tip. You are an invaluable resource and advisor!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:02 pm

Oh, I see now who you are. I didn't make the connection with your earlier post at http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6287

If you can't come back to NYC for the packing and loading, then I think it would be very difficult for you to use Broadway Express. They don't pack and load, so someone really needs to be in NY to supervise all that. If you think that Dahill can handle it on their own without your being there (who will open the apartment for them?), I think I would stick with them. I feel sure that they will come to the apartment on the day that they promised. It's the delivery date that might be a little less certain. Good luck!

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:59 pm

Two things I have learned from this thread.

1) Because I have only 2400lbs, maybe less on the truck, is the reason it is going to take the same amount of time for my items to get from ny to florida as cv's things will take to go cross country. They are making stops along the way, loading and unloading to fill up the truck.

2) That Certified isn't making my move to Florida. They are using another Atlas company, one that orginates in Florida. Is that a bad thing? Do I need to know what company it is and their track record and BBB report. It is too late now, cause my things are on the truck.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:32 pm

nyaccent wrote:Certified isn't making my move to Florida. They are using another Atlas company, one that orginates in Florida..

Just a note that Bill did not tell the truth, then, about Certified using its own truck and driver:
nyaccent wrote:Certified came in at $1666.58 for the move. He also said that they are going to use their driver and their truck, however the laborers will be different upon loading and unloading. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5930

This is what I keep harping on in this forum. In many cases, when you book a move with a van line agent you are choosing only the booking agent. The sales rep may promise that his or her company will self-haul your shipment, but in reality the rep can't usually be sure of that. And once the shipment goes into the van line system, the booking agent loses almost all control of the move. The most the booking agent can do is, if a move goes badly, request that the van line dispatcher not assign that same hauling agent again to one of its moves.

In your case, "nyaccent," chances are that the hauler is good. It's a good sign that the driver's wife is traveling with him to FL. Then at least he will have one person to help him unload. Please do let us know who the hauling agent is when you find out the name.

As a side note, moving company owners have told me about many cases where a hauler from the van line has screwed up shipments that they had carefully booked. They need the van lines and vice versa but it is often a love-hate relationship. The good owners are often concerned that a bad hauler may ruin their reputation (guilt by association) and so they try to self-haul as many of their shipments as they can, but this is usually not possible on a cross-country move and often not possible on a NY-FL move either.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:55 pm

I am re-posting this comment by "nyaccent" so I can keep all the things related to her move together on one thread.

nyaccent wrote:I called Certified this morning.

They are checking on the status of the handtruck and they will get back to me. If I don't hear from them by this afternoon, I will call the driver myself to inquire about it.

My weight came in at 3060lbs. They estimated it to be at 2400. But since I have an APP quote (GNTE) my price will not go up.

The company moving my items is not Certified, but Avitar...don't know the correct spelling, but I gather they are from Florida since the driver said he lives in Florida. It is still Atlas. Does anyone have any information about that company. You sign up with one Atlas company that you checked out and then another one can do the move for you.

As far as when I will be getting my stuff, that is being checked out as well.

Something that I learned from this move and would like to pass on........When an inventory is being taken of your stuff by the mover, they put codes on the sheet. S = soiled, SC = scratched and so forth. When the list was being made on my items, the drivers wife was coding and not telling me what she was writing down. Please when your items are inventoried, ask what they are writing. Remember she didn't press hard enough, so my copy was blank...I couldn't see what she coded. But I did make copies and she has my coffee and end tables as being scratched on top..she didn't show me the scratches so if they end up scratching it or making bigger scratches, I have no recourse. She also coded my sofa and loveseat as being soiled. They had no soils on them.

I was that close to figuring out the codes before the truck left. But instead of asking the driver what the description codes were, I asked what the SW meant that was circled. That was stretched wrapped. I should have questioned the numbers and letters written next to that column. Live and learn...and if someone else can benefit by this observation, I feel it is worth while because I was helped by other people's knowledge and experience. Please have them go over the inventory list and their notations with you as they are being marked down before your items on loaded on the truck. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6397

It sounds as if your driver and truck were from Avatar Moving Systems, a highly reputable Atlas agent HQd in Bohemia, Long Island. Drivers for the van lines can live anywhere in the U.S.

Regarding the coding of scratches, soilage, etc. on every single item - what you describe is normal in the moving industry, and I don't think there is much that consumers are going to be able to do about it. Nobody is going to have time to stand there and argue with the driver about the condition of every item when so much else is happening on the day of the move. Obviously it is a CYA effort.

nyaccent

Postby nyaccent » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:41 pm

Yes, Bill didn't tell me the truth. They didn't use the it's own truck and own driver. I am wondering if I should mention that to him. But there was no way of knowing that when I booked the move. I guess no matter how careful you are, or the questions you ask, things can turn out different.

I am trying to find out if Avatar has an office in Florida, that is where the truck originated from, not Long Island. I have read the reviews here from Avatar and they do seem very good, if that is the same company. I did try to call Avatar originally to have them quote me a price, but the number I had for them was a bad#. If it is Avatar from Bohemia that my belongings are on, it may be a better deal for me than if it was Certified itself.

As far as his wife being with him, I truly think it is just for the compamy. She did the inventory but didn't lift a finger as far as loading. I don't think she will unload.

I still haven't heard from Certified on the handruck or delivery issue. I am wondering if I should call the driver directly, he did give me his phone number.

Return to “Open Community”