suggestion for Charleston, SC movers please?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dida

suggestion for Charleston, SC movers please?

Postby dida » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:25 am

I'm moving from Charleston, SC, to Washington DC metro area. Does anyone have a recommendation for a full service mover here?

I checked three companies.. each is agent of nation-wide moving companies.. but all three have questionable things in their records (SaferSys).

The first one doesn't have an insurance record; the second one only has 1 truck, 1 driver; the third one has Common listed as inactive and changed name in the last couple of years.

I'm stuck. This is the first time I'm hiring a full service mover, and I'm concerned with the horror stories I've heard one too many times.

Thanks,
dida

twalker
Site Admin

Re: suggestion for Charleston, SC movers please?

Postby twalker » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:33 am

Hi Dida,

Agents of the national van lines will most often use the license authority of the van line, not their own. Can you tell us the names of each of the agents that you're looking at?

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

dida

Postby dida » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:43 am

The first one (that I thought had no insurance) is Azalea Moving Company (agent of Allied). But as you and MusicMom explained that local agent uses license authority of the national van line, I think this one is OK.

The second one that only has 1 truck, 1 driver is CoMac, Inc. (agent of American International Movers)

The third one is a local agent for United Van Lines... and this is the most confusing to me. According to United website, their Charleston local agent is Smith Dray Line & Storage Co, Inc.

However, SaferSys only has a record of Smith Dray in Greenville, SC (4 hours drive from Charleston.. too far to be a local agent). This particular Smith Dray agent has Common listed as inactive in their file.

So I checked the BBB website. It lists Lawrence Transportation System, Inc. (not Smith Dray) as the United Van Lines agent in Charleston, SC. File was opened in 1991, I don't know how accurate it still is... because according to SaferSys, there's only one Lawrence Transportation System, Inc. and it's in Roanoke, VA.

The principal contact person for Charleston's Lawrence, however, is the same person as as the contact person for Charleston's Smith Dray. I assume Lawrence Transportation System in Charleston changed name to Smith Dray.. or there was some sort of acquisition or something.. I don't know.

I'm beginning to think that I'm looking too much into this and get excessively worried. Or am I?

Again, thanks for your information.

dida

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:53 am

A person posting here who is likely to be able to untangle the United Van Lines business is Rick, if you want to wait until he comes along or sign up as a member and send him a PM.

I would be wary of any company that has only 1 truck and 1 driver for an interstate move.

Another thought is to contact a well-reviewed company like JK Moving in the DC area and ask whether they have trucks returning from SC that need backhaul (return loads).

dida

Postby dida » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:46 am

Thank you, Diane. I'll sign up.

Also, I called JK Moving as per your suggestion and am waiting for estimate.

dida

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:50 am

Smith Dray Line & Storage Co., Inc , a United Van Lines agent, is an established, quality company with seven locations in South Carolina and North Carolina. Their headquarters in Greenville. Their office in Charleston also represents Mayflower Transit under their Unigroup affiliation.

Lawrence Transportation, also a United agent, does not have any offices in South Carolina but has seven locations in North Carolina.

Another good company in Charleston is Dale J. Cook Moving and Storage, a Stevens Van Lines agent.

Dale J Cook Moving & Storage
7167 Cross County Rd
North Charleston, SC 29418-3304
(843) 552-4833

dida

Postby dida » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:32 pm

Thanks, Rick..

I called Dale J Cook and got their estimate as well. Seems like I'm on the right track. I appreciate your input.

dida

Return to “Open Community”