Atlas Van Lines Agent ripoff- Wagoner Moving And Storage

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
Maureen

Atlas Van Lines Agent ripoff- Wagoner Moving And Storage

Postby Maureen » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:42 pm

Contracted with company to move my belongings, including car, from Ohio to Arizona.

Was given a "binding" price. The person doing the write-up underestimated price by $1,594.43. She then lied and said I was going to pack kitchen and most all of small items. When the movers arrived they said that I said, "I couldn't finish packing because I was too burned out." I have never said I was "burned out" about anything in my life!!! I had walked the woman through the house and pointed out what had to be packed. I specifically told her I would not pack anything in the kitchen because I didn't want to be responsible for any breakage.

The movers called me in Az. and said the total was $8483.16 The original quote was $6888.73. They said I had to have the total in cash or cashiers check or they would not unload my belongings.

Also when I submitted a claim for damages done to my belongings, I was told that there was a $500.00 deductable. (They didn't tell me that when I arranged, and paid for, the insurance!!) and the amount I claimed was less than that, so I recieved no money for my damaged goods!!!

I have already reported them to the BBB in that city, but I'm sure they won't do anything.

Maureen

Josh

Re: Atlas Van Lines Agent ripoff- Wagoner Moving And Storage

Postby Josh » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:55 am

Maureen,

I compete against them every day! I am not sure of the lady that did your estimate, but I think her and her husband work together there. They used to have a real bad apple (a man but I won't mention names) that underestimated everything. I have two great friends that work there, but complain about the jobs being underestimated all the time.

Do you have a copy of your Bill of Lading? The driver should have had you "declare your valuation" the day your shipment was loaded. There is a box that has which type of valuation you want, and then boxes for different deductibles that you would initial. Did you initial $500 deductible by mistake?

I have personally spoken to two other families that I did not move but moved with Wagoner, and they too were underestimated by a lot!

As a sales rep, I always try to get the customer to show me all their estimates so I can be upfront with them on who is trying to low-ball them. I am sorry I wasn't able to meet with you before this all happened.

Let me know about the valuation thing, my father works for Atlas in Columbus, maybe he can help clarify some of the things they are doing.

Josh

Josh

Postby Josh » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:04 pm

This is going to be a fresh topic so I thought I would move it to the top of the board. I will probably be posting more about it tomorrow.

Josh

angfento

Postby angfento » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:56 pm

Maureen,
I move often with my company and have tried many other movers. Atlas is the only moving company I will use now after the experiences I have had. I have used Wagoners, as have some of my other colleagues, and have had wonderful experiences. I am pretty sure I know the woman you speak of and am shocked by what you state. This person is the most ethical, respectable & heart warming sales person that I have ever had the pleasure of working with. She was very clear with me about our goals and what I needed as a customer. I truly think that you have just had little to no experience with moving companies and that you have made mistakes and not communicated things properly with your mover, so that now you have to slanderously attack this individual to satisfy your incompetence. Moving is a very simple process and I would be sure next time that you ask questions about items you don't understand and read all the materials before you lash out at people who are not deserving of your harassment.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:11 pm

angfento,

Your post has got to be one in the top 5 most irresponsible posts I've seen yet. It is not, nor should it ever be the consumer's job to try to estimate the cost of their move.

It is not legal, nor should it ever be legal for a moving company to request more than 100% of a binding estimate, or 110% of a non-binding estimate at the time of deliver; this is called extortion. In the "simple" world of the moving industry however, moving companies are protected from being held accountable for extortion by the Carmack Amendment.

You need to read the article on this web site titled "The Blame Game" before you make another post on this board.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

angfento

Postby angfento » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:21 pm

I feel that my belongings are something that I am responsible for. It sounds to me that the movers packed items that she stated she would pack, common sense tells one that you would get charged for those items. My opinion and the facts that are associated with that opinion is not "irresponsibility".

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:44 pm

angfento,

Your opinion has nothing to do with it. I'm talking about what a moving company may legally do or not do. Consumers rights state:

"Before loading your household goods, and upon mutual agreement of both you and your mover, your mover may amend an estimate of charges. Your mover may not amend the estimate after loading the shipment."

Additional consumer rights state the following:

"If, before loading your shipment, your mover believes you are tendering additional household goods or are requiring additional services not identified in the binding estimate, and you and your mover cannot reach an agreement, your mover may refuse to service the shipment. If your mover agrees to service the shipment, your mover must do one of the following three things:

(a) Reaffirm the binding estimate.

(b) Negotiate a revised written binding estimate listing the additional household goods or services.

(c) Add an attachment to the contract, in writing, stating both of you will consider the original binding estimate as a non-binding estimate.
"

Is any of this soaking in, or are you still of the "opinion" that breaking the law is an acceptable thing to do?

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

angfento

Postby angfento » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:49 pm

I think you have most definitely confirmed that Ms. Maureen was in the wrong! Thank you for your clarification!

Kelkova

Postby Kelkova » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:56 pm

We just recently came across Maureen's letter to the MovingScam.com forum. We were of course distrurbed by the allegations and the tone of her letter. We therefore feel that a response is in order. Whether or not it is posted for public consumption remains to be seen. Still we need to address the issues brought up in the letter and attempt to clarify our position and present the facts as we know them. Hopefully, someone out there will take our side of the story into consideration. We did respond to Maureen's original letter on July 31, 2003. In it we outlined our position in reply to her complaints. Following is the text of that letter: We have received the letter of your complaint and would like to address the issues you have brought to our attention. After interviewing your salesperson, the operations staff and our driver, we have come to the conclusion that a few items need to be clarified. 1.) In the notes that the salesperson took at the time of the survey, items listed that Wagoner was to pack are as follows/ 1.Wall clock 2. Computer3. Mirror & pictures 4. Toaster oven & breadmaker 5. Mattresses & box springs. These items were listed twice - on the survey sheet and the order sheet for the operations department.
2. You received the Order for Service estimate ( which reflected the amount of packing) and returned it signed on November 7, 2003 indicating the acceptance of our services to be provided, which clearly listed the number of cartons to be packed. 3. The operation department secretary contacted you the day before packing and loading and verified the items we were to pack. You never indicated that there would be more packing needed. In fact, she recalled that you had told her you were "not quite finished" with packing , but would have it completed by morning. 4. When the driver arrived, he noticed that a lot of packing still needed to be done and called his supervisor for instructions. You advised the driver that you didn't get all the packing done you had planned to do. You told him that you were "too burned out" to finish the kitchen. Our understanding was that you would be responsible for packing the kitchen. We had to finish it - with your approval - in order to load the shipment. 5. The operations manager brought out more packing material and explained to you that to complete the additional packing, we would need a signed amendment by you to authorize the additional packing charges. Which you signed and dated April 29, 2003. The estimated weight for your shipment was 13,200 pounds and the actual weight was 13,780 pounds. The estimated charges for transportation were based on the binding weight of 13,200 pounds. The only additional charges were for the additional packing, which you agreed to pay by signing the amendment for services. In conclusion, we would like to offer our apology for any misunderstanding, but we feel every effort was made to correct the situation in an appropriate and timely manner. Sincerely, Wagoner Moving & Storage

A few closing comments are in order. First it was made abundantly clear in letter form, and in our estimator's presentation, the different valuation options and their respective premium charges. Maureen chose FVP with a $500.00 deductible. It is initialed and a lump sum value was inserted by the customer, followed by her signature.

With regard to estimating accuracy, we have maintained a high level of performance year after year with our Van Lines. We were recently awarded the Milton M. Hill quality award for 2002 - 2003. This is the most prestigious award in the Atlas system or perhaps in the moving industry as a whole. Less than 10% of Atlas agents typically qualify for this award. In order to achieve this award, an agent must exceed 12 stringent quality standards for a period of one year and to achieve a hauling excellence award for that same period of time. One of the 12 quality standards that an agent must exceed is ESTIMATING ACCURACY. We do not make a practice of underestimating shipments in order to get business! To accuse us of this unfair and unfounded. You will notice in our letter that our weight estimate on Maureen's move was in fact very accurate.

To those agents who read and relish the negitive "press" attributed to their competitors, we can only say, justly or unjustly, "your turn is coming" - if you haven't already had a turn at the whipping post.

Respectfully,
Wagoner Moving & Storage

PS. To "Josh" at Berman Moving & Storage
It's very easy for competitors who do not know or care about the facts to unjustly slander and pile on another mover. Shame on you Josh. And a final note, Maureen returned our service questionaire with an overall rating of "8" on a scale of 1 ( being the lowest) to 10. She rated our packing service as "excellent".
Kelkova

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:06 pm

Kelkova wrote:Whether or not it is posted for public consumption remains to be seen.

This is how I would expect a company to respond to consumer complaints. Your response will remain here for public consumption.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Josh

Postby Josh » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:09 am

Mr. Mike Wagoner or Kelkova or Angfento,

It is funny how the owner of my company received a call yesterday from you and you stated that you were thinking about suing me for slander. You also asked him why he didn't monitor this board and he told you that it didn't bother him what I did here.

All I posted yesterday was that this was going to be a fresh topic because I thought I would talk to you before anything else was posted, but you jumped right in saying

I move often with my company and have tried many other movers. Atlas is the only moving company I will use now after the experiences I have had. I have used Wagoners, as have some of my other colleagues, and have had wonderful experiences.

acting like you were a satisfied customer. Then you turn around and state you are a rep from Wagoners. Does this seem strange to anyone else?

Does the name Bob mean anyhting to you at Wagoners? How many customers did he low ball and rip off before you finally got rid of him. What about when you hired him and had him take 8-10 guys with him from one of your competitors? Then the company went out of business. Not very ethical in my book.

I do not recommend your company to anyone. I do however recommend American Atlas, McVay Allied, and many others in your area that I know have done good with many customers.

If you feel we should talk, call me and not the owner of my company. I spend a lot of time on this board helping families select a reputable company, and from what I have seen, you can't be trusted.

Return to “Report A Scam”