Need some serious help on moving options... from IA to WA?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Need some serious help on moving options... from IA to WA?

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:48 pm

OK, so I just came across this site & now I am really confused as to how to handle our upcoming move. We are going from Iowa to Washington State. I havent paid any deposits, but had been talking via email with ABA moving (www.abamoving.net) They have given quotes based on our "inventory list" (in cubic ft estimates) which can be updated up until 3 days before the move (which is in mid-Dec.). They have told me that as long as the inventory list matches what we have, then there will be NO DISCREPENCY on the price. I specifically asked them what would happen if the cubic feet exceeded what they estimated it to be. They said it wouldnt matter, as long as the INVENTORY LIST is correct. I can't find anything on here about "inventory lists" and now I am very confused. We were planning to have the inventory list accurate down to every last box, but what do you all suggest? I am starting to think that maybe one of the U-pack companies would be safer to go with. We have 100% ruled out U-haul & driving the stuff ourselves due to weather concerns. Can anyone give me some good advice? I have no one that I know that has recently done a inter-state move & don't really know where to ask?? I have checked them on the BBB & they looked OK there, what am I missing here?? Thanks so much......

~Katie

MusicMom

Re: Need some serious help on moving options... from IA to W

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:55 pm

Kate, politely send them an email telling them you have changed your mind and will not be using their services. Have you given them credit card numbers yet?

The reason is two-fold:

1. Cubic Feet estiamte are now illegal for moves to different states. They MUST be based on weight, and accompanied by a Certified Weight Ticket. See the Sticky at the top of the Open Community for more details about Cubic Feet estimates.

2. The inventories you fill out (and why are you doing their job for them, anyway???), nomatter how dilligent you are, will NEVER jive with heir terminology. I have actually done a few of these inventories myself to see what varying results I get from the exact same household list. One comapny had 16 different types of bookshelves, no kidding! Chairs? 18 types. What you may see as an Armchair, they may call an Overstuffed Chair, and double the Cubic Feet right there. One stereo gets counted as five different stereo componenets, thus multiplyng the bill further. See where I'm going with this?

The last reason to not use Cubic Feet estiamte is that you have NO PROTECTION whatsoever from the movers charging you an arbitrary number. You have the right to ask for a re-weigh if you are unsure of the validity of your loa's weight, but you have NO RIGHT to ask for a remeasurement. TH movers could charge you for 20,000 C.F. whent he truck won't even hold more than 10,000, and there's nothing that can be done/ It's a loophole that scammers have been exploiting for years.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:59 pm

Not to mention, I cannot find a license for them. There appears to be three locations, Miami, Texas, and NYC (The last seems to be home base), and there are no listings in any of those states for ABA moving.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:01 pm

Katie,

Nooooo!!!! You're dealing with a company in Florida (home of the moving scam) who is giving you an estimate based on cubic feet (illegal) from an inventory list that you gave them (stop doing their job for them)? Stop the truck here before you guarantee that you're going to hire a scam moving company!

Please read the article here titled "How to Find a Reputable Mover". Trust me, there are plenty of quality moving companies in Iowa - in fact I've never had a complaint filed against an Iowa company at all. With a little planning there's no reason that you can't have a decent move be it full-service or using a company like Broadway Express or ABF U-Pack.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

katied

Postby katied » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:01 pm

Hi musicmom... thanks for the reply. I think you are right, but do you think that it makes any difference that I specifically asked her these things on the phone, like "what happens if you call it a armoire & the mover says it is a cabinet" or vs. versa, whatever the situation should be. And she says that the mover won't do that. I still think it is shady like you said, & we came up with the inventory list by phone w/ one of their reps, basically me describing everything & then them recording it all. What would you suggest we do, the U-Pack type or ??? I am so confused & just don't want to get screwed!!! (excuse the expression!!) Thanks so much for any help...

~Katie

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:05 pm

Think of them as snake-oil salemen. They will tell you anything you want to make the sale, but when it comes down to the real deal, they will NOT be there for you. Everything about this comapny looks bad. And the most important thing, I will reitereate, is that they ARE NOT LICENSED, at least under that name.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:07 pm

If this helps at all, when we moved from Portland to VA, I also went through my entire house's contents with a Nice Man on the phone. The Nice Man said "I will say your load weighs 2,000 pounds, even though I am positive it will be nowhere ear that". The Nice Man was no longer available once the house was packed and loaded, and the movers told me my stuff weighed 5,000+ pounds.

katied

Postby katied » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:22 pm

Oh my... thank you all so much!! I am so glad I have time on my side & am not moving until mid-december & I am also SO SO SO glad that I have not given them any credit card info or any deposit. It is MADDENING trying to figure out the best way to move. If you were me and had say around 300 cubic feet, or less than 2000lbs worth of stuff, and had no reason why you couldnt load it up yourself, is that what you would do? The U-load we-drive type service?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:25 pm

Open up your phone book and start calling movers that are located in your hometown. You have plenty of time. Ask them for an in-home estimate. If they cannot get to your house, say Thank You and hang up, they may not even be local. Call some local real estate agents and see if they have any movers who have treated their clients well. Sometimes they have referral deals that will save you money, as well. Ask for a Guaranteed Not To Exceed estimate (other two kinds are non-binding and binding), this is the best bet for you.

For more info, read the article link to at the top left of this page with the 8) , and please let us know if you come across any questions.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:30 pm

That is what I would recommend. The self-moves (with Penske or Budget/Ryder) and the you-pack, they drive companies are the only companies that I explicitly recommend here. We've had so many positive reviews about BE and ABF that it's impossible not to notice them all. If I had to move I wouldn't hesitate to use either one of them.

If you'd rather use a full-service moving company then MusicMom just gave you some great advice in the previous post and we'll certainly be around to help you sort out your options there as well.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

katied

Postby katied » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:20 pm

I am SO SO SO glad I came across this website. I feel better about our options already. Thank you all so much for your help, it is MUCH appreciated!

~Katie

Ruges

Postby Ruges » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:24 am

Where ya at in IA? If you are in the eastern half I would sugest Hawkeye. They have nice equipment and regular drivers to the NW.
Ruges

PatR

Postby PatR » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:29 am

I'm originally from Iowa and when I went back to my Mom's Memorial we saw them on the interstates...not in abundance but I do remember seeing the trucks! ;)

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:46 am

We are in Des Moines, so Central Iowa. After discussing our options with my husband, we have decided to go with either of the U-Pack, we-move companies that are recommended on this site. That is actually what we originally had planned on doing, but then were "lured" in by these brokers that sounded like it would be the same price & THEY would load for us! What a deal, right? Well now I know better & we are willing to do the grunt work of loading & unloading to avoid a hassle later.... the only thing we are unsure of is whether or not there will be a place for the 28ft trailer to be parked in our small apartment complex. That is our next dilemma... but Im sure we can figure that out somehow! Thanks again to everyone!

~Katie

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:38 pm

Anonymous wrote:. . . we have decided to go with either of the U-Pack, we-move companies that are recommended on this site. That is actually what we originally had planned on doing, but then were "lured" in by these brokers that sounded like it would be the same price & THEY would load for us! What a deal, right?

Katie, this is exactly what the scammers say, and they usually try to tell you that loading a truck will be too much work for poor little you, etc. etc. Glad that you didn't fall for it.

If you have only about 2000 pounds, you might be able to fit it all into one ABF mobile storage container. Those normally handle up to 2000 pounds, but whether everything would fit depends on the dimensions of your largest pieces such as armoires, desks, and beds. See ABF review #23 for photos and details. Even if you need two containers, if you go this route you could just have ABF drop the containers into a parking space in your apartment complex in WA. Others have had absolutely no problem with this.

Return to “Open Community”