NYC to SF move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Robin37

NYC to SF move

Postby Robin37 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:25 pm

Hi there,

I LOVE this web site. How lucky that I found it before scheduling my cross-country move. I am moving from New York to the San Francisco Bay Area at the end of the month, and I just finished getting in home estimates from three movers. I wanted to run them by anyone kind enough to read this, and ask whether there is any reason that I shouldn't go with the lowest estimate. All three of the estimates are binding, guaranteed not to exceed estimates. All of them also include replacement value insurance and the cost of a shuttle on the NYC end..

Central Moving Systems (Mayflower), Bridgewater, New Jersey
Estimated Weight: 6000 lbs.
GNE estimate: $6455

University Van Lines (Atlas), Rahway, New Jersey:
Estimated Weight: 6900 lbs.
GNE estimate: $7880

Hall Lane (United), Commack, New Jersey
Estimated Weight: 7000 lbs.
GNE estimate: $7485

Is there any reason that I shouldn't go with the first one, Central Moving Systems?

THANKS!
Robin

Diane

Re: NYC to SF move

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:31 pm

No one has ever used Central Moving Systems and reported back to us. I will ask my contact at Mayflower what she knows about them. Their BBB report looks OK and they have been in business forever. How did you hear about them?

Robin37

Postby Robin37 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:39 pm

Diane,

As you were responding, I was reading your epinions article. I wish I had seen it before my last move, where my disreputable Brooklyn movers charged us well above the estimate and got angry after they damaged our couch! I don't really remember where I came across Central Moving Systems' name. It definitely wasn't on vanlines.com. I think that I found it somewhere on this site - not reviewed by anyone, but maybe just mentioned as a Mayflower agent who does moves in this area. This is the only site that I've looked at to find moving companies, so I'm sure I came across it here somewhere.

Thanks!
Robin

Robin37

Postby Robin37 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:44 pm

They guy from Central Moving Systems who did the estimate, Keith Haszto, actually referred me to Movingscam.com as a great resource.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:45 pm

Robin -

Who was the bad mover in Brooklyn? I like to keep track.

I've queried my contact at Mayflower and she should at least give us some general guidance, although internal quality scores don't tell everything.

What did you think of the sales reps from University and Hall-Lane?

Robin37

Postby Robin37 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:51 pm

It was called, Moving Your Way Moving Co, 584 6 Ave, Brooklyn, NY. They moved us twice. The first time went fine, but the second time, they didn't take much care with our belongings, damaged several items, and got a little aggressive when I suggested filing an insurance claim. The second time was also much more expensive than they originally estimated. They did a corporate move for a company that a friend of mine worked at, and he recommended them highly, so maybe my experience was a fluke..

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:28 am

Robin,

Here's the report on Central Moving Systems:
For what it's worth, their internal customer satisfaction scores for the last six months are excellent, better even than Dahill for the same period. I have used them as a destination agent and don't recall anything remarkable one way or another. The customer must still be diligent in getting a GNTE and carefully review valuation coverage options.

Since you have a GNTE and full replacement value coverage from them, I would say that you will probably be OK with them.

Finally, I see that I myself said this about them a while back, comparing them with Apollo:
Diane wrote:I gather that Central Moving is Central Moving Systems in Bridgewater. I don't see any red flags with them either--they are a very old company (1917) and have received Mayflower Quality Awards.

You could call the New Jersey Warehousemen and Movers Association at (732) 341-3934 to see whether they have anything to say about the relative quality of the two companies. I guess, just looking at the data on the Internet, I would tend to go with Central over Apollo, but I think both would probably be OK. -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3974

(How quickly I forget . . . ) A United Van Lines person posting here has also said that they are good to work with.

Incidentally, I will be in NJ on business next week and I might be interested in meeting with someone from their company. Can you get me the name of someone I could contact to discuss this?

Robin37

Postby Robin37 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:39 pm

Thank you so much Diane for the information. I now feel much more comfortable going with Central Moving Systems. I will give you a report when the move is over. The only names I have at Central are Keith Haszto, the consultant who did the in home estimate, and Atkins (last name unknown to me), who is the person at Central who will handle our move. Their tel. no. is 800-222-0327. They both can be reached at extension is 117. The guy who runs the company is Brian Coriell.

Thanks again!
Robin

Return to “Open Community”