**Review of Sullivan Moving and Storage (United Van Lines)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
shahidm

**Review of Sullivan Moving and Storage (United Van Lines)

Postby shahidm » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:08 pm

Just wanted to share my excellent experience with Sullivan Moving and Storage (United) of San Diego for a move in September, 2005.

I had approximately 12000 pounds (5 bedroom house) being shipped from San Diego, CA to Rockville, MD. As per suggestions on this board, I got a number of quotes (four) and actually Sullivan was the second lowest. However, because of reported problems with the low bid (BMS Holdings) I decided to pay the extra $1,200 to Sullivan for the move and booked the move)

The truck driver (Bob Woods) came on time (actually a little early) with a really nice clean truck. He arranges his own crew and they all really seemed to know what they were doing. They wrapped the furniture and moved FAST, but without doing any noticeable damage to the goods or the walls, etc. I treated them all to Pizza and we all chatted about football and one of the guys girlfriends. Friendly crew – worked well together (it was obvious they and the driver worked together quite a lot) and basically let me just stay out of the way and took care of business.

On the other side it was pretty much the same (different crew, of course). My wife managed that end, but she had no complaints. The driver even showed her his truck because she was curious. To date we have not found any significant damage on anything that was shipped. The truck arrived exactly on the day the driver had estimated and he called my wife the day before to give her a heads up.

We did have a small problem – three expander-leafs which went with the dining set (and which had been tucked away in a closet) and which had been inventoried were left behind (the driver had inventoried them, but the packing crew didn’t find them – and they were kind of tucked away – also, I was asked before they left if there was anything else that needed to be taken and I didn’t notice them either). However (and this is really where one can tell the good companies from the bad ones), as they had already been inventoried, Sullivan UPSed them to our house in Rockville at their expense (I dropped them off at their offices). No complaints, and it took about 10 days.

Great service, great people, and a great moving experience – didn’t regret paying the extra money (i.e., not going with the low bid) at all – well worth it. We also tipped about $100.00 each end. Given the total cost of the move it was a small amount.

Diane

Re: Review of Sullivan Moving and Storage (United Van Lines)

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:21 pm

This is SO what we like to hear! Thank you for reporting this. There is a guy named Chris who works for Sullivan who has posted here--I don't know whether he was your estimator.

shahidm

Postby shahidm » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:39 pm

Diane wrote:This is SO what we like to hear! Thank you for reporting this. There is a guy named Chris who works for Sullivan who has posted here--I don't know whether he was your estimator.

Yes he was!! Nice guy.

Beavis

Postby Beavis » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:41 pm

I also wanted to submit a review of Sullivan United in San Diego, Ca. - this site led me to the company, so I wanted to come back and give a review.

I called Sullivan in July 08 to get an estimate (1 of 3) for a move which at that time was a direct interstate move to Burlington, Vt. Chris Lind came by, was very professional and friendly, gave me a quote, and talked with me a bit about sightseeing during my drive across country. Ultimately I went with Sullivan because of their reviews on this site, reasonable quote, and Chris's great customer service.

My move-out date was end of August 2008 on a Saturday. Moving day came, and the movers showed up on time - 2 guys - very fast, very professional, no issues/damage/complaints - tipped them both and they were on their way. I should mention that between the time Chris gave me my initial estimate and the time of my move-out, I had to change plans from an interstate move to an intrastate move-in to storage. So my belongings were taken to the local facility in San Diego for storage while my employer decided if I would remain in Vermont or not... Chris handled the change no problem, new quote was sent and agreed on... easy to deal with

Flash forward to early December 2008, and my employer decided I would be moved again to Washington D.C. Called Chris and Dawn Lewis at Sullivan and advised them of the approximate time I would like delivery (beginning of January 09) and town, and got a new quote for delivery out of storage to the DC Metro area. Again, easy to deal with and got a range of dates (10 day range) that my possessions would be delivered in D.C. Once I found an apartment in the metro area, gave Dawn Lewis the final address and everything was set.

Prior to delivery, the truck driver called me a few times to update me and coordinate the day of delivery, great guy, easy to work with. On the delivery date (incidentally, the last day of the range they gave me in December) the driver called in the morning and showed up on time - which was important because I had to reserve the freight elevator/loading dock for max. 2 hours. The movers handled the delivery very fast, all done within an hour, and lo and behold - no damage/ nothing missing! My stuff had been in storage for four months, several changes in plans, but it all arrived as expected.

There were a few very minor (in the end) hiccups - one was the billing for the storage (I had to fill out/authorize credit payments for 1. move-out, 2. storage month to month, 3. delivery) and the other was some miscommunication regarding the expected delivery date in the DC area - but again, the delivery was made within the 10 day range so there's only so much I can say about that.

And most importantly, customer service was great, easy to work with throughout the move, no unexpected costs (in fact they REFUNDED over $100 once the final delivery was made and actual costs were determined!), and NOTHING was damaged or missing.

Again, great job to the Sullivan Team that handled my move - Chris Lind, Dawn Lewis, Brock and Josh (move-out), Ed Parker and Dave (delivery)

would highly recommend this company... and thanks to this website for creating a place to find and reward good people!

Return to “Open Community”