Moving from Silver Spring, MD to Chandler AZ...HELP

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Moving from Silver Spring, MD to Chandler AZ...HELP

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:41 am

Hi everyone!

Ultraviolet turned me on to this site, and she's probably saved me THOUSANDS in doing so. I did exactly what the site says don't do...I went to the internet to find a mover. The two estimates I've received are from people on the black list!

My fiance and I are moving in December to AZ. I've NEVER done a move this big, so I don't even know where to begin. My fiance was in the military so he's used to it, but Uncle Sam always took care of the details...not the case here.

What do I do, exactly? I know there's probably a lot of information, I just don't know where to begin. His new company is paying us a lump sum to move, but since he has to be in AZ by 12/19 and I need to follow on 12/23, I know it's time to get a move on.

Any help that anyone can provide would be extremely appreciated. :D

JWB

Re: Moving from Silver Spring, MD to Chandler AZ...HELP

Postby JWB » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:42 am

Sorry, thought I was logged in when I posted. Not a guest anymore!

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:06 am

Hi - before doing anything else, please read the article about the basic issues by clicking on the smiley face at the above left. Then . . . how much stuff do you have and what is the lump sum, roughly? I'm asking because your answer may help us advise you better.

MusicMom has a list of companies in your area that have performed well for people, including JK Moving (independent) and Von Paris (United Van Lines). But if you need to cut costs, you could use a freight company like ABF or Broadway Express. There are many good reviews of both companies on stickies at the top of the messageboard.

JWB

Postby JWB » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:12 am

Thank you. I will read the article. We live in a two bedroom townhome, but there's a lot we're donating before we move. We will be moving with living room furniture (sleep sofa & loveseat), a queen size bed, our computer and personal belongings (clothes and such). Wow, I guess we don't really have a whole lot.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:53 am

JK Moving (independant)
Moyer & Sons (independant)
Hilldrup (United)
Von Paris (United)
Security Storage (United)
Paxton Van Lines (Atlas)
Victory Van Corp (Allied)(beware of name copier Victory Van Lines)
WorldWide Moving Systems (Wheaton)

All of these movers have proven themselves to be good, and can take you that far. I know one of JK's good reviews was from here to CA. Moyer has 46 trucks, so they are smaller, but could probably do it, too. All the other have the advantage of calling upon other agents from their van lines for help, should they need it, but there's always the possibility you could have different crews at loading and unloading.

Do what Diane suggested and look into BE or ABF (and hiring loaders at both ends). You have a relatively small amount of stuff to move, you could get a pretty good deal. I bet the lump sum offered by your employer will be cutting it pretty close.

JWB

Postby JWB » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:36 pm

I have contacted JK moving and Moyer & Sons, and I have in-home appointments with both within the next week or two. I want to pick one more company to give me an estimate, but there are just so many out there!

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:41 pm

I vote for Von Paris (United), which is one of the oldest moving companies in the United States. I am not sure about Moyer & Sons for a move of your distance. Their good reviews here have been for a local move and one from the mid-Atlantic states to FL. Going all the way across the U.S. may be stretching it for them.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:47 am

I agree. Von Paris has had several good reviews, and they have been around as long as I can remember here.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:17 pm

I'm nearly in the same situation but I'm moving from Oberlin (Cleveland) OH to Sacramento, CA. I've received some info from the on-line operators but am looking for referrals in my area. Any names of reputable movers is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:35 pm

The only one I can think of in Ohio is Berman Moving & Storage, but I'm sure Diane has a list that may include another name. They are in Bedford, which is 40 miles or so but the estimator may still come to your house.

robo311

Postby robo311 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:55 am

I am guest above from Oberlin, OH. Wanted to say thanks for the name and I'm interested in getting a couple more if possible. Has anyone created the "Gold List" of recommended companies. I know none will be perfect but I find it's always good to reward excellence. I look at the black list and know who to be wary of, but I don't see a list for the opposite. Is there such a thing?
Thanks again.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:07 am

Hi - we don't have a "gold list" of full-service moving companies here for many reasons, one being that the laws are so lax in this country that for all practical purposes any moving company can cheat anybody and get away with it. We don't want it on our consciences if we recommend some company and then that happens. That's why the only companies we endorse for domestic moves are the freight companies ABF and Broadway Express, where pricing is based on the distance and number of feet used so it's transparent and easily verified.

However, we do draw people's attention to positive reviews of full-service moving companies and in time, there should be a pretty solid database of such reviews here. There isn't one for every area of the U.S. because most moves take place to and from large population centers like NYC, Boston, the DC area, Miami, Chicago, Seattle, the Bay Area of CA, and Los Angeles. People can access reviews by using the "Search" button above and inputting the city name. We also are working on amassing reviews for major population areas in summary posts that we can cite as needed--for example, I have written an Epinions article about the NY metro area (linked to below).

I've been to Oberlin and it's a great place, but it's obviously not a big population center. You're probably not going to find an agent of a major van line much closer than 40 miles, so I think Berman (United) in Cleveland is likely to be your best bet. Their phone number is 440-232-8800 and a contact name is Josh. People have said to avoid Walkerly (United) in Lorain County. There is an Atlas agent (Imlach) not too far from you, and also a Wheaton agent. I don't know anything about them, but those two van lines are usually reliable. I found these by inputting "moving company" on www.superyellowpages.com and then giving various distances from Oberlin to widen the search. There is a horrible review of A.S.A.P. on that website, so of course avoid them.

Another thing you could try is approaching the personnel department at Oberlin College to ask what company they use for college-related moves, but be sure to tell them that you want an agent of a major van line, not a small company that focuses on local moves. Don't use a small independent company for a move of your length.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

robo311

Postby robo311 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:30 am

Well said. Thanks.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:52 am

You're welcome. I searched on Imlach and came up with this statement from the atlasworldgroup.com website:
Imlach Movers Marks Four Score
The year 1924 saw many firsts. The first round-the-world airplane flight...the first Winter Olympics...the first Caesar Salad... and the first year in business for Imlach Movers, Inc.

The company was founded in Trenton, Michigan, by Charles Imlach, who used a single truck to deliver ice in the morning and move furniture in the afternoon. In 1950, sons Allen and William took over the management of the company. The following year, Imlach became an agent for Atlas Van Lines. In 1987, the third and current generation of ownership took the helm, consisting of Daniel W. Imlach, Kenneth W. Imlach and Gregg B. Imlach. All three are still heavily involved in day-to-day operations.

As well as from its headquarters in Michigan, Imlach serves customers from locations in Fort Wayne, Indiana; Findlay and Lorain, Ohio; Baton Rouge, Louisiana; and Irving, Texas. Packing and hauling for corporate clients makes up more than 95% of the firm's business activity. Vice President Ken Imlach, who heads the agency's sales and marketing efforts, has been the top national account sales producer for Atlas in each of the last two years. A steadfast commitment to quality has earned Imlach Movers the Milton M. Hill Quality Award five times and the Hauling Excellence and Superior Packing awards every year since their inception.

In addition to corporate moves, Imlach is known for high-profile work. In 1988, the Atlas agent moved the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library from Washington, D.C. to southern California. The company has also relocated Nebraska Senator Chuck Hagel (three times), musician Eminem, baseball executive John McHale, and Detroit Lions owner William Clay Ford, Jr. to name a few

It sounds like a good company but one that focuses on large national accounts rather than on COD moves where the individual customer pays. They would probably be good to get a quote from if they're willing to come out. Their phone number in Lorain is 440-277-6683. On MapQuest it looks as if they are only about 15 miles from Oberlin, a plus.

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:04 am

Thanks for the heads up on Moyer & Sons. I'm still taking their estimate, but I have an estimate for Von Paris this coming Tuesday at noon. Hopefully from that I can pick a mover I can be happy with. Thank you all very much for your help.

Return to “Open Community”