Moving from NY to IA. Needs suggestion!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
SSarkar

Moving from NY to IA. Needs suggestion!

Postby SSarkar » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:27 pm

Hi, thanks to this website, I feel like I am much better prepared to deal with the movers. I am moving from Albany, NY to Des Moines, IA. Clark Moving and Storage, an agent of Mayflower, came to assess my stuff and gave me a "Binding or less" estimate for $2145 for a total weight of 3600 Lbs. Their rep. was very professional. However, before he came, I told him over the phone that I want a BNTE estimate. He agreed to it but told me that with BNTE estimates, movers always give an excess weight estimate (he said they state about 500 lbs. more than the expected weight). When I asked, if the weight is below the estimated weight, if my price will go down or not; he said, "yes, it will go down if your weight is below 3600". However, he also mentioned that if my weight is much less than what is stated, my per pund weight rate may be up. Does this sound weird? He also said that if I have any other items not listed in the inventory list, the prices may go up.

I have Arnoff moving's rep. coming to my house tomorrow morning for an estimate. That will be my second moving quote. I did not find any other reputable company in this area for interstate moving.

Thanks for making us knowledgable in a field where I could have been ripped off by scammers. In fact, before I got to know your website, I almost fell for 2 blacklisted companies' offers! Thank you all for your great job!

Diane

Re: Moving from NY to IA. Needs suggestion!

Postby Diane » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:34 pm

Hi - everything the Mayflower rep told you sounds right to me. There are certain price breaking points for poundage and you pay more per pound if your weight is low than if your weight is high. I would be interested in the contact info for this agent if you go with them since in your earlier thread, Rick said that Clark had two locations: Schenectady and Rochester - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6520 We are always looking for good companies that we can mention to others, so please keep us posted on Arnoff and on how your move goes.

SSarkar

Postby SSarkar » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:43 am

I had agent from Arnoff coming to my place and gave me a GNTE rate of $2720 for 3500 lbs. Their estimate is about $600 more than Mayflower. Also, in the inventory, they left out few things such as utility cart, wrote 30 instead of 40 boxes, added a TV/VCR (which I am not taking). I asked them if the movres are going to give me hard time for having stuff not listed. His answer was "no". He wanted me to sign some papers about the estimate, which I declined. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:35 am

I'm no expert, but your GNTE estimate is less with Clark and from what you say the rep seems to have been more professional. Unless you add a LOT more things, say 20-30 boxes, it seems to me that they will honor the estimate. On the other hand, the Arnoff rep seems to have been somewhat less careful, his estimate is higher (why, I wonder, since the weight is the same?), and Arnoff has some negative remarks about it on this website. So I guess I would tend to go with Clark.

SSarkar

Postby SSarkar » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:22 am

Thanks Diane. That is what I tend to do. I will be going with Clark moving based in Schenectady who is a Mayflower agent. I will post my experience with them once my move is complete.

Thanks to you, Tim, Rick and everyone else who helped me with your expert opinion! I cannot thank you enough for all the great suggestions, news, opinions!

Thanks.

SSarkar

Postby SSarkar » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:24 pm

Hi, I forgot to ask before that Clark Moving, a Mayflower agent gave me a "binding or less" estimate. Is it same as BNTE or GNTE? The agent told me it is the same, so I want to make sure that this information is correct.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:48 pm

Yes, it's the same. Sometimes it will be marked on the paperwork as Option C.

Return to “Open Community”