Shocking! Had a great experience moving NYC-LA with Dahill!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
fh2004apt

Shocking! Had a great experience moving NYC-LA with Dahill!

Postby fh2004apt » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:41 pm

Thank you so much to everyone who participates on this website for all the helpful information! I definitely needed the help in planning my move.

After all the bad news I read, and all the stories I heard, I was completely paranoid and prepared for a horrible experience. I thought I would counter the bad news and offer a glimmer of hope to people by mentioning the good fortune I had in my recent move.

I moved from Manhattan to LA in early November. I used Dahill Moving & Storage in Brooklyn, an agent for Mayflower. I had many in-home estimates done. Dahill was the only company to offer me a binding estimate -- and they also offered me the lowest price. (Well, lowest of the reasonable, believable prices coming from reputable companies.) They stuck to that price and (at least so far) haven't tried to hit me with any extra charges for "additional services". Both the Dahill movers who picked up, and the Mayflower movers who dropped off, were nice and helpful. All of my stuff arrived, and in good shape. I didn't believe such things were possible!!

Moving out of nyc adds an extra layer of problems, given the parking and truck access limitations in the city. I was a little flexible on my move date, so Dahill scheduled the pick up for a street cleaning day so that they could park right in front of my building.

So, problem-free moves, while maybe not the norm, are possible. If anyone is moving into or out of nyc and thinks I might be of help, I am certainly willing to share any info I learned in my process.

Good luck!
fh2004apt at yahoo.com

MusicMom

Re: Shocking! Had a great experience moving NYC-LA with Dahi

Postby MusicMom » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:21 pm

I don't find this as shocking as you do, but thanks for the update!

So now you're out of one jungle and into a new one? :wink: Happy unpacking!

Diane

Re: Shocking! Had a great experience moving NYC-LA with Dahi

Postby Diane » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:11 am

With this report added to the other good ones, I think it's time that Dahill (Mayflower) in Brooklyn has its own review thread on MovingScam.com. I'll try to round up the things that have been posted to date and I'll also try to visit Dahill the next time I'm in NYC. Dahill's sales reps Chris Blank and Jay Medina have made a big contribution to its popularity, but the company must be backing up their efforts with a high-quality performance, otherwise there wouldn't be so many satisfied customers.

I was first told about Dahill by Rich Barrale of All Star Movers--a competitor, actually--who said that Chris Blank is an excellent sales rep ("but I'll go toe-to-toe with him any day," he added) and that they hold to their estimates, not always the case in NYC. I've also been impressed that Dahill will give Binding Not to Exceed estimates for interstate moves, whereas many NY metro area companies do not do this.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”