NYC to SF -- still having trouble finding mover

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Analie

NYC to SF -- still having trouble finding mover

Postby Analie » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:37 pm

Help. I've read a number of the posts re NY to CA moves (very helpful), but still I am at a loss. We are moving at the end of December and although we do not have much furnture -- we have 2 antiques.

I had a horrible experience on my move out from SF to NYC 4 years ago. I can't remember the name exactly, but it may have been CA NY express -- all I remember is that my belongings came damaged and/or missing. There were other customer's belongings on the truck but the movers had to unload these other customers' furniture and boxes onto the street before they could get to mine! At that time I was on a much tighter budget than I am now, and this time the main issue is that I have these 2 antiques that I'm worried will be damaged.

I am also 6 months pregnant so I cannot use Broadway Express or the other freight transport companies discussed on this board.

We've gotten 2 estimates so far:
Nassau Worldwide (United)
3400 lbs
$ 4512.

Moving Man (Wheaton)
3900 lbs
$ 7496.

But that was before I read these discussion boards. The bottom line is that for this move (1) time of arrival is not an issue; (2) finding the cheapest estimate is not a priority. The main thing for us this time is avoiding damage to our 2 antiques, and our pick up day is not very flexible. I've read the favorable posts on Dahill and University...but still I'm nervous because of the bad experiences some here have had. (Btw, Nassau told us that they own all their trucks??? This does not make any sense as the business card says United on it!)

Sorry for the long post -- just trying to get as much info as possible sooner rather than later as we don't have much time left before we have to book someone.

thanks...

Diane

Re: NYC to SF -- still having trouble finding mover

Postby Diane » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:05 pm

First, I'm very sorry about what happened to you on the move from SF to NYC. California New York Express (CNYX) is one of the bad ones, and all the more dangerous because it advertises so widely.

The truth is that no one can assure you with 100% certainty that your antiques won't be damaged. But if they are properly packed (and crated if necessary) it is very unlikely. Nassau and Moving Man would probably both do a good job for you as the booking agent and would pack/crate your things carefully, but neither company would be moving your things in its own truck. Instead, a van line driver from United or Wheaton, respectively, would be picking them up and delivering them to SF. Nassau does own its own trucks (like the other companies mentioned here) but I would be very surprised if they would use one of their own trucks to move you cross-country, although I could be wrong. Moving Man definitely wouldn't.

Do you live in Manhattan and if so, where in Manhattan? Where you live makes a difference because the big tractor-trailers that go crosscountry can access some NYC locations and not others. The reason this is important is that if the van line driver can't access your residence directly, your things will probably be picked up by Nassau or Moving Man and transferred to their warehouse so the van line driver can pick them up there. Every time that your things are transferred like this, the chance of damage increases. This is probably what you mean when you say that some of the comments about University scare you. There have been a few cases of damage with University when the van line (Atlas) got involved--though none with Dahill that I recall. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that you're necessarily going to have damage.

In my opinion you should not rule out Broadway Express. Although it doesn't have the ability to pack things for people, you could hire a good company like All Star Moving in Brooklyn that does. They could send a crew to your home to pack the things and load the BE trailer. They have actually done this for several people posting here and it has gone well. In addition, if for some reason BE couldn't access your residence with its big tractor-trailers, All Star could shuttle your things to the BE truck using its own small van. Then in SF you could have Delancey Street Movers or Moovers, Inc. (both of which have excellent reviews here) unload the truck for you and unpack/uncrate the antiques. In other words, we know of good companies on both ends of your move, and this would allow your things to be delivered by BE in the same truck they are picked up in. It's an option to consider. Your savings with BE would be more than enough to pay All Star in NYC and Delancey or Moovers in SF to pack/unpack and load/unload. Frankly, this is the option I would choose if I were in your position, just because I know how good all of the companies are.

You could also call Moovers, Inc. to see whether they may happen to have a truck going all the way from NYC to SF at the time when you want to move. They would also deliver your things in the truck they were picked up in--no transfers--and their prices are reasonable. Here is their review thread with contact information - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655

Please see this thread for reviews and contact information for All Star, Dahill, and University - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6631 No one has moved with Nassau and come back to report here, but I think it is a good company. Moving Man has several good reviews - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4303 However, its quote is so much higher than Nassau's that you might want to rule it out for that reason. All of your quotes should be Binding Not to Exceed so that you are comparing apples with apples.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Analie

Postby Analie » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:02 am

Diane, Thank you for the detailed information and advice. We do live in Manhattan - on 2nd Ave in the East Village. I thought the big tractor trailors could access this area for sure, but the Wheaton estimator wrote down a shuttle charge on this end so we assumed there was some regulation prohibiting trucks down here.

I will think more about Broadway Express and hiring the 2 movers on both ends to do the pack and unload. Because I am pregnant and work full time and there are only a few weeks left, I thought the coordination of 3 companies as opposed to 1 would be too much to handle. But it does sound like the best way..

I will post here what we decide, who we end up moving with and what the outcome is. Thank you again for taking the time to answer my post.

Analie

Postby Analie » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:35 am

One more thing -- I just found out that my husband used Consumer Relocation Services through AAA to find Nassau and Moving Man. He believes that we would go through them because if there is any claim for damage after the move, he is concerned that with Broadway Express we wouldn't have the "full replacement value" insurance through AAA that Consumer Relocation Services offers. Has anyone heard of going through Consumer Relo Services and, if so, were you successful in recouping any loss for damaged/missing items as a result? Or is this yet another scam?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:35 pm

Hi - I meant to mention that one downside of going with BE is that you can't get any type of coverage against breakage, scratches, and dents. Even with ABF you have to use an expensive packing and loading service that has been approved by a company called MovingInsurance.com. I don't have much faith in the packing and loading services that they approve and if you use the services your savings would largely be canceled out in any case. So I don't recommend going that route. If your husband wants to have full replacement value coverage you will need to use a full-service moving company--you will have to drop the idea of using BE.

However, there are alternatives other than using CRS-AAA if you want FVR coverage. First let me say that no one has ever reported on an experience trying to collect on the CRS-AAA coverage, so we don't know for sure, but in my opinion it is very unlikely to be a scam since it has AAA's name behind it. HOWEVER, sometimes in these cases the price of the move is "adjusted" upward to cover various people's "cuts"--first, CRS's expenses in maintaining its office staff, and then, the moving company's expenses in paying for the coverage. There is no free ride, in other words.

You should also know that you don't have to take a company that CRS-AAA steers you to. For example, University Van Lines in Rahway offers that same free FVR coverage if you have AAA, but I think you have to have 5000 pounds to qualify. (I actually thought there was a 5000 pound minimum for ALL companies.) Industry people have told me that CRS-AAA steers people to certain companies, possibly ones that they have received kickbacks from. (What a business . . . )

Anyway, getting back to using a full-service moving company, if you're going to go that route I would also get quotes from Dahill (Mayflower), University (Atlas), and Moovers, Inc. (independent)--if Moovers will have a truck in NYC at the time you want to move. Dahill and University may also want/need to use a shuttle, but I think that Moovers, Inc. would try to get away without using one. I know (from talking with the owner) that Moving Man virtually always uses shuttles to bring the goods to its warehouse in upper Manhattan. It is just simpler for the long-haul driver. I don't know what Nassau's practice is. Sometimes it is not actually legislation (although the companies will tell you it is) but what the long-haul driver will or will not do. It is a hassle for the drivers to go into lower Manhattan where they may get expensive parking tickets and so on.

Your quotes from Nassau and Moving Man are too far apart for some reason and I think you need to get some more quotes. My reasons for recommending Dahill and University are: (1) proven good performance for people posting here; (2) long-haul driver would be supplied by Mayflower/United or Atlas, both of which are good van lines. Of the two--Dahill or University--I would recommend Dahill as being located closer to you but University as possibly offering the free FVR coverage.

Finally, I would recommend Moovers, Inc. over any other full-service company because your things would probably not be transferred, unless possibly from a small rental van to the Moovers truck in Manhattan if the Moovers truck couldn't get close to your residence. You can get FVR coverage with Moovers but not free. Moovers has an excellent record for performing damage-free moves.

Analie

Postby Analie » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:32 am

thanks again Diane, for all of the information. Dahill could not move us on the date we needed and so we have decided to go with Nassau (Mayflower) because they seem reputable from the postings here. The only thing that concerns me, and this is probably the reason the two estimates were far apart, is that the Nassau quote was non-binding. When my husband called back to get a binding not to exceed contract, Dominik told him that those contracts are void because the carrier can void if the actual move contains a different number of items than listed on the estimate. He said he'd do it but it's a false sense of security. Has anyone posted here about that issue? I can't for the life of me figure out what he's talking about! I've tried to find something but haven't been successful.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:13 pm

Hi - I just reviewed all the posts about Nassau (a United agent, not Mayflower) on this board. Someone else had Dominick Germano as an estimator and this is what Dominick said to that person:
he was against the idea of giving me a GNTE estimate as it was, in his words, an easily voided contract. His contention was that if the GNTE estimate says I have x number of boxes when it turns out on moving day I actually have y number of boxes the contract is then null and void thereby defeating the purpose of a GNTE estimate. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4153

I noticed in reviewing the posts that Nassau always or almost always gives Nonbinding estimates. This policy is not that unusual in NYC and the reason is that the companies are afraid that customers will want to move more things than they have shown to the estimator. This can create a problem on moving day if the driver sees this and protests. Then the sales rep has to go out to the residence and negotiate a new contract and so on. This is what Dominick means by "voiding the contract." Even if the driver doesn't protest, it isn't fair to the driver if he has to work for free and it can create bad feelings all around. Some companies just don't want to take the risk of a "scene" on moving day.

University Van Lines DOES give GNTE estimates but their reps increase the weight estimate to protect themselves. Moving Man usually doesn't give GNTE estimates either so I assume that your estimate from them was also Nonbinding--was it?

In the one move with Nassau that was reported on here ("Judy") the cost came in only a little above the amount of the estimate, i.e. the estimator didn't seem to be lowballing - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2912 However, your quotes are so different that I am concerned. Something doesn't add up. The only way the weight could be so similar and the quotes so different is if MovingMan was adding extra services or giving you a much lower discount. I still think you should get one more quote, maybe from University. They have a sales rep in your area (Scott). You would have nothing to lose by contacting them.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that people posted that Nassau has 10 BBB complaints, which is rather high. However, "Judy" looked into them and was reassured enough that she still went with Nassau.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:39 pm

Yes - the above post is indeed what he must have meant. And when we pressed him, he said he would do a GNTE but would up the weight to 4,000 lbs (closer to the 3900 Moving Man wrote).

Re the different in estimates, Moving Man gave us the GNTE - vs Nassau's non-binding. Wouldn't that be the difference in price. I'll check the actual estimates and see if Moving Man had a shuttle or extra services that Nassau did not. Anyway, we're not using Moving Man for sure. But I will also call University and get a 3rd estimate as you suggest. btw, no one has ever posted the outcome of Nausau correct?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:47 pm

Anonymous wrote:Moving Man gave us the GNTE - vs Nassau's non-binding. Wouldn't that be the difference in price.

No, because the weights are so similar that there shouldn't be that much difference in price. When you ask for a GNTE the price goes up only if the sales rep increases the weight estimate, as you say Dominick is doing (and as University will do).

"Judy" reported on her move to Chicago with Nassau as the booking agent in the thread I cited above. But the hauling agent was not Nassau but All Chicagoland. Nassau just did the booking and its contractors picked up the shipment and loaded it onto an All Chicagoland truck somewhere north of NYC. The contractors commented to her that she was lucky that her things didn't get moved into Nassau's warehouse but were loaded directly onto the long-haul driver's truck--better for avoiding damage. You could ask Dominick what will happen in your case, but he may not know. At this time of year I would guess that your things will go directly onto the long-haul truck rather than into Nassau's warehouse to wait for a driver because there are enough drivers to go around.

Just helping

Postby Just helping » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:06 pm

"on 2nd Ave in the East Village. I thought the big tractor trailors could access "

you should not have problems with parking a tractor trailer on 2nd ave. it's actually easy if they show up before 9:00am I believe it's street cleaning time before 9:00 so the space should be empty, read the street sign just to be sure…

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:27 pm

"You could ask Dominick what will happen in your case, but he may not know. At this time of year I would guess that your things will go directly onto the long-haul truck rather than into Nassau's warehouse" -- Dominick has said that he's pretty sure we will get a direct truck but he can't confirm until closer to the date.

Also, he said United owns Mayflower now -- or they are related somehow now?

"you should not have problems with parking a tractor trailer on 2nd ave." - I thought the same thing. I remember CANY Express brought a huge semi down East 13th Street when I moved here. But Moving Man said no. So I guess they just don't want to and told us they coudn't as discussed in Diane's post below.

I now have the 3rd estimate scheduled with University Vanlines for next weds so I will post the outcome here.

Analie

Postby Analie » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:34 pm

whoops, that's me, Analie, posting above, incorrrectly as guest. technically challenged today.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:36 pm

The Moving Man shuttle would account for part of the price discrepancy, but not all of it. When Scott comes from University you could actually show him your two estimates and ask him what accounts for the price difference. University has gotten enough business from this website that I don't think he would mind doing that for you, even if University doesn't get the move.

Yes, United in effect bought Mayflower, but I believe that Nassau is only a United agent, not a Mayflower agent. (A few companies are both.)

The BBB report on Nassau is being revised so I couldn't check on how many complaints they have at this point. But basically I think you would be OK going with Nassau. You should take Dominick up on his offer to give you a GNTE quote.

Return to “Open Community”