ALERT - avoid Hercules Van Lines (MC #427618)

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
travlingrl

ALERT - avoid Hercules Van Lines (MC #427618)

Postby travlingrl » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:18 pm

My experience with Hercules has been a nightmare. They are based in L.A., and have offices through out the country. The Dallas office picked up my goods in Houston which were stored in a 10x15x8 storage unit with a 10x7x6 rent-a-truck, crammed the truck full and then tied 18 pieces of my furniture to the back of the truck. I have pictures which I will post soon- it was unbelievable. They lied about additional charges, packing fees and about delivery dates. They lied about the truck used, the process, would not give me the option for additional insurance, and refused to give me copies of the forms I signed. When I called the company office to complain, I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was refused, and the employee refused to even tell me the name of a manager or a supervisor. I was told that the manager's name was " none of my business." In a phone call to "customer service" I was told the same thing- I wasa refused the name of ANY ONE in management, and when I asked the name of the president of the company, the woman told me she didn't know.

Diane

Re: ALERT - avoid Hercules Van Lines (MC #427618)

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:47 pm

Ugh. See this thread, among others - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1804 I see their crummy, cheaply-painted trucks all the time and always pity the people whose things are inside. This is a very dangerous company because it advertises so widely, for example on Google.

canyonrun

Postby canyonrun » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:02 pm

I hired Hercules Moving System (Mc#619135) in Los Angeles to move my things to San Antonio, Tx. in Dec. 2009. They are the same company, they have bad records at both! It was terrible! Argueing to keep my "Binding Quote" binding, they tried to deliver my things a week before schedule when I wasn't even in Texas yet. They wanted to charge an extra $300. because a 52' truck wouldn't fit in my apartment complex, but they dropped that after arguing that I would meet them in a Mall parking lot with a UHaul! Then, upon delivery, I had major damage to some of my belongings. Upon filing a claim, the Company rep denys responsibility for a couple boxes containing my Fiesta dish Set, saying they didn't pack the boxes, so it's not their responsibility! They were properly packed in dish pacs with bubble wrap and paper, so to pad everything! I had the boxes labeled "FRAGILE" on all sides. The dishes were totally trashed. But! I was concerned when packing that I was putting Bullseye"s on the box by saying that, so other dishware I didn't label that way. Those boxes were undamaged! I had a bedroom dresser damaged, a Stainless BBQ was bent up, A file cabinet bent up, a pedistal fan broke off at the base, A sofa table's legs broke at one end, casters broke off on a TV center, and some misc. collector mugs and glasses broken that I never even used, just saved. Hercules asked me to submit a claim to them, and they may settle if I ammended my complaints filed with BBB but then retracted the offer when I admitted several compaints filed to different sites. I wouldn't recommend trying to save money with moving company comparisons. I have a large loss of property trying to save a few dollars. I personally wouldn't trust any company! If your belongings are of value, you don't want losers cramming it into trucks. and they will depreciate the value or deny responsibility, or get out of accountability by one means or another. And they will likely cost you more than what you agree on when you hire them, the new regulations put on moving companies is a smoke screen, they rewrote the book as quick as the laws got approved!!!

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:13 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canyonrun

Postby canyonrun » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:14 pm

Re: Rick I know that a claim issue isn't "SCAM" in itself. I was just emphasizing the end result of trying to save a buck in picking the best price in a moving company. I didn't go into explaining just how courtious and helpful they sound while you are shopping around. As soon as your booked, it turned into a chess game, you have to be on your toes to counter the scam part. The driver, as soon as he got off the truck, explained that he always finds that the "Binding Estimate" isn't going to be accurate. For people who aren't aware. Hercules explains that they offer a binding estimate that guarantees a fixed price that will not change. Without, your estimated cost would be modified based on weight, or fuel, or travel issues. If you are looking for a mover, you don't want a bunch of monkeys tossing your things around with no concern over damage. I had plenty of problems to keep them in check. I recieved an email from the dispatcher saying I needed to contact her immediatly, that my load was scheduled for delivery in two days, which was a week before the "First Available Delivery Date" that they require when making a contract. That means the quickest date your ready for your load. In the BBB response, the dispatcher (Lydia) placed that blame on the driver, even though she was the one I had talked with a couple days prior, providing the destination address and reminding of the first date I'd be able to get the keys. Anyhow, the scam is the scam part in my book was the bait and switch from implied comforting, helpful sales help (Nicky) to the hustlers that undoubtebly pray on folks in the middle of a vulnerable situation, because your belongings are in their possession.
I understand that the dishes will amount to my word against theirs. They understand that also-you phrase it like you are their rep! But, from my view, when I picked up my box to open and unpack it, it tinkled like a crystal wind chime! If upon loading at the pickup point, it made such an obvious noise, don't you think the mover would ask a question or two?
I'm just trying to warn a person, take the advice and do what you want with it!!!!!

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canyonrun

Postby canyonrun » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:45 pm

Hercules Moving Systems DOT# 1685249 is another affiliate. I've been waiting for 2 months now for them to settle a complaint for damaged property. They offered 10¢ on the dollar and it's their "Final Offer". But, even with accepting it (something is better than nothing) they haven't paid.
Take my advice, don't try to save a buck on a moving quote! Pick a #1 rated mover if you value your property. Hercules is rated "F" in the BBB. But I just sent them a complaint letter because my claim and anything since 2008 is not posted on BBB site.
I had lots of issues with this move battling price changes, they tried to deliver in Texas a week before I even lived there! They later just blamed the driver, even though it was the company dispatcher who was making the frantic calls to find me. The first available delivery date was on the contract and they ignored it! They talk sweet when quoting but that ends with a signed contract.

Return to “Report A Scam”