About to select a mover

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
movingtoca

About to select a mover

Postby movingtoca » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:30 pm

I am about to select a mover for a move from CT to CA. I have narrowed it down between 2. Amodio Mayflower and Vanguard (North American) Does anyone know how much time before the move I should commit? We are moving at the beginning of January.

And--- Is there anything I should ask for before signing? i.e. any negotiations I can use like free boxes, etc..?

Thanks!

MusicMom

Re: About to select a mover

Postby MusicMom » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:50 am

Most estiamtes are only good for up to 60 days, so you are well within the time frame to start getting them. Jobs are slowing down, so prices are getting more competitive.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:07 am

It's time to start making a committment to the company you are looking to hire. Music Mom is correct most estimates have an expiration after 60 days, due to different things that can occur, fuel prices, additional purchases sometimes that we make and don't even think about especially through the holidays!

Always inquire if the company will provide any packing material, some sales reps have the authority to give 5-10 new boxes to help you get sorting. Others may have used boxes available for you if you are doing your own packing. If so, they are usually available on a first come first serve basis and don't plan on receiving every size of box needed.

While this is the time of year where things are a little slower, we are experiencing some heavy shipping just before and after the holidays, which with my company's pricing - there has been an increase in pricing from 12/23/05 to 1/5/06.

I do not suggest waiting any longer at this time due to the holidays in between now and your move date, but typically a mover can schedule and prepare for your move within 7 - 10 days if an estimate has already been performed.

movingtoca

Postby movingtoca » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:18 pm

Thanks! Have you heard of Vanguard in Connecticut? They are an affiliate of North American Van Lines. They came in with a good pitch, but I haven't heard any reviews. Can anyone provide me w/ some guidance?

Thanks!!!

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:16 pm

:? i'm pretty sure they are not part of NAVL..i will check it out in the morning....

IMP

Postby IMP » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:23 pm

I'll add my two cents - book now for a January move. Here's why - while this is "off peak" season on the books, moving is seeing an increase this year - at least all the good companies, the ones I know of! Additionally, traditionally the tariff increases in early January and you could beat the increase. If you have a GNTE estimate now that is valid for 60 days, you should protect yourself against that potential (and probable) increase. That said - if the fuel surcharge changes between the time of your estimate and the move date, you ARE responsible for that differential, either up or down. Hope this helps and please keep us posted throughout your process!

movingtoca

Postby movingtoca » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:29 pm

Sorry... I was wrong... Vanguard is not NAVL it is National Van Lines. Has anyone heard of Vanguard?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:15 am

Hi - one thing to keep in mind is that almost certainly, neither Amodio nor Vanguard is going to be hauling your shipment to CA. Instead, it will be hauled by a long-haul driver for the van line. So you are really choosing between Mayflower and National. One is a giant and the other is small. Despite the good things that have been said here about National, I personally would go with the Mayflower agent. You may get a United Van Lines driver (desirable) since both Mayflower and United belong to UniGroup. HOWEVER, I am posting about your situation on www.householddrivers.com to see what the drivers there have to say about National Van Lines, and I'll let you know.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:50 pm

Hi again - a driver for NAVL replied that both van lines were good and I should look at the BBB reports for the individual agents, so I did. Both have good reports, but Vanguard has 0 complaints over the past 36 months while Amodio has 16. But Amodio is a much larger agent, with many more trucks and drivers, so it probably does many more moves than Vanguard. I actually feel that you'd probably be OK with either company.

ripped off

Postby ripped off » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:45 pm

hope this is not to late to help you. absolutely avoid amodio at all costs. they are slimy and dishonest. furthermore just because a moving company has the better business bureau logo in their ad does not mean that they are reputable. keep on looking--there's got to be someone honest out there somewhere!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:25 pm

Could you please give some details of your experience, Guest? Amodio actually has good comments here.

Return to “Open Community”