Has anyone used Certified Moving in New Hampshire?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Cindyguest

Has anyone used Certified Moving in New Hampshire?

Postby Cindyguest » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:26 pm

Greetings!
Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced using Certified Moving of Newington, New Hampshire--good or bad.
Thank you,
Cindy

Josh

Re: Has anyone used Certified Moving in New Hampshire?

Postby Josh » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:09 pm

I do not have experience with them, but here is some info I could find in my brief search:

It looks like they did business as Atlantic Movers fromn about 1990 until 2000. The insurance history looked horrible and that might be a reason they switched in 2000 to Certified Moving & Storage. Now for the insurance history with Certified, it has been cancelled or replaced about 15 times since 2000.

Those are not good signs but take it as you will. You can find this info at http://www.safersys.org

Do a search under DOT # 267588 or the name Certified Moving & Storage.

It also shows they have 3 trucks and 3 drivers, so I guess if you are moving locally, that might be enough but if you are moving out of state, you might want to find someone with more equipment.

Anybody else???

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:54 pm

I completely agree with your reseach Josh. I just want to point out a correction in the DOT license number. The DOT# should be 267558 (MC# 374605 in case anyone needs it).

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:14 am

Also, their authority history on the DOT website shows that as Atlantic Movers they had several involuntary revocations of their operating authority.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:38 am

I was really surprised to see all the bad things that you guys turned up about Certified Moving because I saw on their website that they are members of AMSA, which I thought was supposed to include only reputable movers, not scammers. (The Certified Moving website is at http://www.freemovingquotes.com/index.html if you want to take a look.)

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:55 am

You shouldn't assume for one second that membership in the AMSA means that a company won't scam you. The moving industry is effectively unregulated. AMSA members know as well as anyone else that they are highly likely to get away with scamming customers... and some of them act on this knowledge regularly.

You also shouldn't assume that membership in the BBB or a satisfactory rating by the BBB means that a company is safe to use. The BBB is simply a business to which other businessses pay dues in exchange for a satisfactory rating. So it's hardly a source of unbiased information.

Kutiepie_nh

Postby Kutiepie_nh » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:41 pm

I just received in home estimates today from Ray the Mover (Manchester, NH) and Certified Moving and storage (Portsmouth). Ray the Mover quoted me 6,000 pounds and total cost of $3098.44 (3989.44 with my car). Cerfiied Movers quoted 6,000 pounds and $2226.24 (2926.24 with my car). Any advice?? Both sounded good, obviously I like Certified more because of the cost. He offered a higher discount because his owner branched out from a previous company he worked for, and is fairly new....Does that sound legit?

I also have Mayflower (McLaughlin Group) and Allied (ABC Moving) coming next week.

Thanks!

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:50 pm

Never shop for a move based on price. EVER. Base your decision on your comfort level and the reputation of the mover. The Mayflower and Allied quotes will be a better gauge as to what the true cost of the move should be. BTW, comfort level not equal to lower price.

Make sure your quotes are Guaranteed Not-to-Exceed - this will protect you in case the price of the move is higher than expected by the mover; this type of quote caps the price of the move, and allows a refund if the weight turns out to be less. If one of the movers won't and the others will give you a GNTE quote, say Happy Holidays to the mover that won't and move along to those that will.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

Kutiepie_nh

Postby Kutiepie_nh » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:56 pm

I have not seen any information about Ray the Mover. He was really friendly, and the company has been around for 20 + years. Certified Movers was also really helpful. He said the company is new, with the owner branching out on his own. Certified was great about what the process is, and how they wrap everything and move it. I like the fact that my car can go on the same trailer.

I don't see any red flags but there seems to be some negative experiences with Certified???

Thanks!

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:17 pm

Certified Moving in New Hampshire has an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB due to unresolved complaints.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:20 pm

Where are you moving to - Florida?

If so, Ray the Mover (MC #108756) looks OK to me on www.safersys.org, where it is listed as having 10 trucks and 10 drivers. It has had interstate moving authority since 1983. I strongly agree with Jim's advice to not decide anything on the basis of price. From the Superlist linked to below my name it looks as if Certified has had a bit of a checkered past.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Kutiepie_nh

Postby Kutiepie_nh » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:28 pm

Thanks for all the help. I am just confused as to why all the email correspondence with Certified Movers has been under the company Rye Moving Systems. I did not know how that company is affiliated with Certified but the DOT # is the same. The estimator said Rye Moving was a new company????

I also just received a quote (not in-home yet) from Lake Country Moving & Storage (agent of Wheaton). Any experience with them? Thank you for all the advice, I've crossed off over 5 companies I had quotes from because of this site.

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:36 pm

Sometimes when a company gets a bad reputation under one name, they simply change to another name. It's easy enough to do. Guess they didn't even bother to change their DOT number.

Glad you found the site helpful. One of the professional movers who contribute here may be able to comment on the Wheaton agent.

Kutiepie_nh

Postby Kutiepie_nh » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:32 am

So Alllied (ABC movers) just came and quoted 5,000 pounds, costing about $3,000 with full insurance. The other quotes were both at 6,000 pounds. Also one of the companies is Rye Moving and Storage, and they are subcontracted out of Graebel and currently using Certified Movers DOT # until they get their own. Allied and one of the other companies (Ray the Mover) have to do a third party on car transporters which is another $1000. Any suggestions on car transporters or any red flags??? The estimates are non-binding which I'm not sure what that means. Also I asked if the weight goes over, how does the price change and they said 10% of the estimate price. So if I get a quote of $3,000, then the max I would have to pay over that is $300???

Thanks for all your help!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:50 pm

Asked them all to give you a Guaranteed Not to Exceed estimate or a Binding not to exceed estimate where the price will not go over the estimate, but will go down if the weight is lower.

Return to “Open Community”