Boyer-Rosene - I need advice FAST!!!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jlj001

Boyer-Rosene - I need advice FAST!!!

Postby jlj001 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:22 pm

I'm getting ready to move from Chicago to St. Louis. We got quotes from 4 different movers. From that we choose Bekins (Boyer-Rosene). I just started looking on this web site and all i hear is negatives about them. I have a contract in my hands that i have to fax to them. Now I'm a little nervous to do so. Can anyone give me any specifics on Boyer-Rosene? Is there any positive stories on them? What should I do? The clock is ticking down. We have about 8 days till our move. I need some quick advice.

THanks!

:!:

Diane

Re: Boyer-Rosene - I need advice FAST!!!

Postby Diane » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:30 pm

I just sent you a PM which I'll paste here.

I strongly suggest that you send a PM to IMP, who knows the Chicago scene very well. She has posted that their quality of service is poor - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3801 That thread also has a very bad review of the company by Henri. In general, Bekins is one of the worst of the major van lines.

The company's BBB report shows a large number of complaints:
"The Bureau processed a total of 19 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 19 complaints closed in 36 months, 12 were closed in the last year." Delivery delay was the most common category of complaints.

Now, it may not matter to you if you have a delayed delivery, but before signing with them I would definitely take the step of calling Ms. Patricia McLaughlin, Executive Director of the Illinois Movers' and Warehousemen's Association, phone 217-585-2470 or 888-791-2516, to ask for her opinion of the company.

Everything I know, I've learned by reading what moving professionals have posted here or by talking with them on the phone or in person. I caution you very strongly about using this company. It's not too late to find another one. Why are you set on Boyer-Rosene? What are your other options?

jlj001

Postby jlj001 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:43 pm

We looked at two different United companies, Planes & Blackhawk; Jackson Moving & Storage-Allied; and Boyer-Rosene. We narrowed it down to Planes & Boyer-Rosene. We liked both of them and there prices seemed reasonable. Jim May from Boyer was very professional, easy to work with, on top of things, etc. That is the reason we went with him.

jlj001

Postby jlj001 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:53 pm

I'm also a little skeptical about message boards like this. You never know who has a vested interest in one company or another. Someone in the business could easily trash their competitor on a site like this.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:55 pm

No, don't be skeptical. That's why I told you what IMP (a professional mover NOT based in Chicago) said, and it's also why I suggested that you call Pat McLaughlin, an impartial source. You shouldn't always choose a mover by how the sales rep seems. Please read this Epinions review where someone else thought the Boyer-Rosene rep was great, and then had a disastrous move - http://www.epinions.com/content_170972057220

As far as I know, Planes United is a good company. They have one pretty good review here, and someone posting as "moveman" is a higher-up with the company. I could ask him to take a special interest in getting your move scheduled. (It's very difficult around the holidays.)

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:40 am

jlj001,

There are some good quality service providers in the Chicago area and some not so good. I am a representative in the industry and in no way receive a kickback from any information I provide regarding any company I make a statement about. That is something that twalker makes sure about when you register here as a member.

Of the 3 companies you mentioned, my choice out of Chicago would be Allied, United and Bekins in that order.

Allied has a very strong base in that area with lots of other agents there that could service you. Jackson Moving is good, another is Berger and Von Sydow's out of Palatine. Of the 3, Berger is an excellent choice as they have an office in Chicago and St. Louis! The chances of you being handled direct by a Berger driver is greater, especially during this holiday period as alot of their drivers are staying close to home, performing only short moves as you have.

United is also a very good provider. My choice of the agents you mentioned would be Planes.

Bekins has had some service issues as a whole. I am not familiar with the particular office in Chicago, but based on Diane's information from the BBB that would be enough for me to reconsider. The number of complaint's indicates what we have seen in the industry as mentioned above just service issues as a whole.

I will be honest with you, I represent Allied in another market completely. I am located in FL but will not receive nor would I want to receive anything for making accurate statements to help a consumer receive the best service possible for any relocation.

Best of luck, please report back on your move experience and lest us know how the provider you chose performed!

IMP

Postby IMP » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:14 am

IMP reporting for duty. Having PREVIOUSLY worked in the Chicago market, but never for Boyer-Rosene, Planes, Jackson, Berger, or the other agencies mentioned - I would agree with PMueller and Diane. All things being pretty much equal between Boyer-Rosene and Planes- as you painted the picture, I'd go with Planes. I only say this because you've already done the leg work. United Van Lines corporate headquarters location is also in the St. Louis area. Whatever you decide in the long run, please do keep us posted as the experiences of folks like you help us help those who follow.

jlj001

Postby jlj001 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:32 pm

This is some good information. A appreciate it as well as any additional feedback.

Another dilemma is that we are packing everything ourselves and we have already used Bekins' boxes. They were used boxes and included in the deal. Is that going to be a problem?

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:39 pm

I don't know the answer to that, but I just want to comment that the suggestion of Berger (Allied) is good because you would most likely have a direct move (pickup and delivery by the same driver) where there is a much reduced possibility of damage and delay. I would call them and ask whether they could move you direct. They use a different tariff and would give you a Binding estimate.

Return to “Open Community”